Ben444

Mower Deck RM-324

Ben444

I have a 1965 Wheel Horse 655 tractor I have had since 1980. When I bought it I had the engine rebuilt and it still runs like a top. However, the mower deck is probably on its last leg. It still works but is pretty noisy and has a hole in the front of the housing (see pic). A guy said he could fix that with a weld for $100 but I would rather find a replacement that is in good shape. I have looked high and low and cannot find one.

The deck is an RM-324. I have been told that If I want to go to a 36" deck...RM-36 (4,5,6,7) will work also. Would also be interested in any info on rebuilding my RM-324 as a last resort.

Thanks,

Ben

20211012_173159.jpg

20211012_173212.jpg

daveoman1966

I have a 48" deck and it was in worse condition than yours.  I welded it up (braze welded) and made a STAINLESS STEEL liner for it, using cardboard as a template. It took some time and effort...but it'll last until the end of this century...or longer. I don't recall the gauge of SS I used, but it was malleable and easy weld the 'front' apron to the flat body.    

SS DECK 48 (6).JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Kenneth R Cluley

I have a 63 model 653, I just bought an RM-324 from a guy on East Coast of FL, in a little better shape than yours but not much, They are hard to find in great shape. I plan on rebuilding this one. Drove almost 200miles one way for it!

• Like 1

Ben444
1 hour ago, Kenneth R Cluley said:

I have a 63 model 653, I just bought an RM-324 from a guy on East Coast of FL, in a little better shape than yours but not much, They are hard to find in great shape. I plan on rebuilding this one. Drove almost 200miles one way for it!

So are the parts to rebuild readily available? If so, what do you need and where can you find them? That may be my only option. Would be a good winter project LOL...

ri702bill

Ben:

In my experience almost no parts are still available new from Toro for the gear drive decks. McMaster has the spindle needle bearings and seals.

Check the cast iron spindle housing plate for cracks!

Bill

• Like 1

Jennifer
13 hours ago, Ben444 said:

20211012_173159.jpg

20211012_173212.jpg

Your back wheels look to be on backwards.?  I might have that very deck your after.  At work can check this week, let you know if you like?

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 2

Ben444
6 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Your back wheels look to be on backwards.?  I might have that very deck your after.  At work can check this week, let you know if you like?

Yes, Jennifer please check. If you do have one please let me know. I will send you private email to discuss.  -Thanks

• Like 1