Jarrapedo

Throttle lever tension

Jarrapedo

Hi All,

I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.  I have a new to me, 1977 C160 hydro.  Trouble I'm having is under normal operating conditions the throttle lever will gradually work its way down to lower rpm's.  This is the first tractor I've had with this problem and I didn't see an adjustment/tensioner bolt on the throttle lever.  Is there an easy way to increase resistance on this lever?  Thank you!

ebinmaine

Factory tension regulation is basically just squeezing pressure.

If the cable and housing is still in good condition you could drill out the pivot and replace the fastener with a bolt that has a locking nut. 

Was it me I would be more prone to just replacing the cable.

• Like 1

Handy Don

Several of us have done the replace-pivot-with-bolt route. I'm happy I did.

Two things to pay attention to if you go this route:

1. Make sure to track the order of washers and spacers that are in there so you can put them back in the same order (you won't need to replace any unless you have a really ruined setup). It matters for smooth operation.

2. Note which part is the lever (moving) and which part is the bracket (fixed). Try to get a partially-threaded screw/bolt and put the smooth shank part where the lever will ride on it. If you put the lever on the threaded part it'll gradually wallow out the hole in the lever defeating your efforts! DO NOT LUBRICATE.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Jarrapedo  done this on my throttle set ups , notice the throttle linkage mount area ? all the extra holes in linkage points ?  I use a small spring with a long end to it . shortest end mounts at multiple hole area , longer reach goes to the regulator mount point spot , on the engine cooling cover . have this set up on my 3 kohlers , no throttle creep and constant control. lubricate the cable , simple , cure for that , pete  

• Like 2

ebinmaine
34 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Jarrapedo  done this on my throttle set ups , notice the throttle linkage mount area ? all the extra holes in linkage points ?  I use a small spring with a long end to it . shortest end mounts at multiple hole area , longer reach goes to the regulator mount point spot , on the engine cooling cover . have this set up on my 3 kohlers , no throttle creep and constant control. lubricate the cable , simple , cure for that , pete  

Pete, when you get a minute can you show a picture of that please?

@Handy Don well written sir. 

• Like 1

peter lena

@ebinmaine  got pictures  an issue getting them swapped over , working on it , pete

Jarrapedo
3 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

There's another method that's worked well for me, check this out (especially posts #3 and #10):

Slipping Throttle Lever on 312-8 - Wheel Horse Tractors - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

Within this thread, the vice grip method was by far the easiest. I made small increases in pressure until the lever had enough resistance to stay put.  No disassembly or new parts, 3 min and it’s feeling right. Thanks all !!!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1