DarylJ

B-80 dead ignition…bypass ammeter okay?

Gregor

I ran across this pic of my 141. You can get by without the plastic plug. I now have the correct terminal ends, and an open barrel crimping tool, At the time I did this tractor, I didn't have them.

1223993892_20201106_164131(3).jpg.8dc229d6df01e20bce04f7dd2cea08fa.jpg

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

@DarylJ I used #12 wire on my tractors and @Gregor is correct in 14 is good enough to use but I'm like you I have a lot of #12 wire in different colors so thats what I use. If you change head lights or an electric fuel pump use a relay as in the second diagram that @953 nut posted. Its the blue wires.

DarylJ

Update:  While awaiting arrival of the terminal ends, I dismantled the wiring harness to check for any issues.  A PO had been in there and did another jumper job.  Why, I’m not sure, but the twisted/taped connection had disconnected.  Viola!  Soooooo, that’s where most of the problem was.  Second, the PTO switch I had previously tested and thought to be okay was not.  Fine, then not fine, then fine, not fine, etc.  Had another on hand to replace it with, so the second issue crossed off the checklist. As mentioned above, the PO had also switched some of the wires around on the ignition switch.  Not sure why, but once I corrected the harness mess, I also restored the wires to their correct locations on the switch.  Second Viola!  It now works as it should, including the ammeter which had only wiggled before due to not being wired up correctly. Will be running some new wires in the harness to get the proper colors restored again, then installing some new wire loom instead of electrical tape that encapsulated a good share of it and hid the PO’s work.  

So, after a few hours of work, the old B-80 4 speed is back on the trail again.  It is used exclusively for pulling carts and small trailers on a regular basis.  Along with a couple C-81s and another B-80, an 8 speed, and the small “8” , they do most everything needed here.  Tilling, a little snow blowing, dozer blade for wet snow, and some occasional belly blade work.  No mowing anymore, so 8 hp tractors do it all.  The lighter engine weight makes for easy steering, too.  

Again, many thanks for the great suggestions and advice. They made the job mostly a snap!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Very cool to hear.

Thank you for taking the time to write out your testing procedures and solutions. That has potential to help someone else in the future who may be having a similar or identical issue to yours.

I'll bet I'm not the only one who would like to see a bunch of pics of your lineup if you get a minute...

Gregor
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Very cool to hear.

I'll bet I'm not the only one who would like to see a bunch of pics of your lineup if you get a minute...

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

DarylJ

Here are a few pics of some of the WH's.  A two or three aren't 8hp models.

DSCF1204.JPG

DSCF1205.JPG

DSCF1210.JPG

DSCF1214.JPG

DSCF1232.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

DarylJ

Couldn't fit them all into the above message.  Here are more pics.

DSCF1235.JPG

DSCF1241.JPG

DSCF1271.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Excellent collection!