TonyToro

John Deere 111 restoration out of necessity

TonyToro

Ok…I know John Deere 🤮 

but it came available and it fits through my sister-in-law’s gate so my son can mow the yard. The tractor turned into needing WAY more than the owner said. After getting into it I bought ANOTHER 111 as a parts machine. That one is a hydro. So between the two we have a nice presentable tractor but…. It doesn’t stop. The previous owner snapped the bolts off the “caliper” I tried to weld to the bolts but they just kept breaking little more off until now they are flush with the case. I was able to drill and tap one side but the other now has a broken 1/8” drill bit in the bolt. I see 2 threaded holes on the right side I may make a “T” bracket to hold the right of the caliper and thread a bolt into the factor left bolt hole. Does anyone have suggestions or tricks to fix this? 

WHX??
31 minutes ago, TonyToro said:

tractor turned into needing WAY more than the owner said.

Welcome to my world Tony.... :D more often than not had to buy two horses to get one! 

Since I am not familiar with these tractors pics would help. 

• Like 1

squonk

If you can find a mower boneyard, there's probably 8 million 111's in them. They were throw away/ "Gotta have a JD tractor". Hydro's were junk

• Heart 1

oliver2-44

I think your "T" bracket idea is a good work around.

I had a 1984 116, before I had ever heard of a Wheelhorse. My sons grew up on it. I'm vaguely remember that caliper setup.  I sort of recall mine having studs with nuts for those two little bolts.

Now Sqonk  they were lawn mowers not garden tractors.  Mine mowed 1-1/2 acres for 25 years and 3 sons mowed a few neighbors yard as well.  But I will say when I retired it, it was totally wore out.

Sold it at a garage Sale to someone that had to have a green Deere.

• Thanks 1

squonk

Does it look like this? 

How to: Service Lawnmower Brakes - YouTube

Tecumseh PEERLESS 790025 brake rebuild kit 790007 plate 790006 pad 786026  dowel | eBay

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Hhhmmm…

Condolences… 

🤢

• Haha 3

WHX??
32 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Now Sqonk  they were lawn mowers not garden tractors.

You tell him Ollie! :lol:

• Like 1

TonyToro
4 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Welcome to my world Tony.... :D more often than not had to buy two horses to get one! 

Since I am not familiar with these tractors pics would help. 

Isn't that always the way. Owner said it ran 2 years ago. Lol

the rust in the carburetor touched the float! Lol

here is the brake caliper. I thought after ever attempt I could weld on studs but I think the bolts that held the caliper on were stainless?? The studs just snapped off when I tightened. 

360743E3-64DF-4E0A-8F3A-393119FA2E17.jpeg

TonyToro
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Does it look like this? 

How to: Service Lawnmower Brakes - YouTube

Tecumseh PEERLESS 790025 brake rebuild kit 790007 plate 790006 pad 786026  dowel | eBay

Yes the top one

squonk

I believe that's a Peerless Transaxle. Should be plenty of used stuff available if you need it.

• Like 1

TonyToro
5 hours ago, squonk said:

I believe that's a Peerless Transaxle. Should be plenty of used stuff available if you need it.

Yes 

peerless 806 I think was the model. I didn’t mess with it today. I worked on our Minneapolis Moline Backhoe most of the day. I guess I would just need the bottom of the case if anything. 

T-Mo

The 111 was part of the lawn tractor series that was made from 1979 to 1985.  The series included the 108, 111, 111H, 112L, 116 and the 116H.  The series was one of the best in the market in that era.  I had two 111s, a 108 and a 112L, all could out mow most garden tractors.  They were nimble, quick, and easy to work on.  Frames were heavy duty.  The 108 and 111 came out on 1979 with mechanical PTO and had the fuel tank under the hood.  1980, JD replaced the mechanical PTO with an electric one.  1982, Deere introduced the 111H and the 116 and 116H tractors (the H was for hydrostatic).  Also in 1982, Deere move the fuel tank to the rear, underneath the fender deck.  In 1985, JD replaced the 111H with the 112L, which was basically a 111H, but with a 12.5 hp Kawasaki engine.

The gear drive models used a Peerless, 5 speed transmission, while the hydrostatic models used an Eaton transmission.  The engines, other than the 112L, were Briggs engines.  The 116 and 116H used a horizontally opposed twin cylinder Briggs, the rest were single cylinder engines.  The model numbers represented the hp, i.e. 108 had a 8 hp, the 111 had a 11 hp, etc.

Below is my 112L that I had.  I miss that tractor.

000_0008.jpg

• Like 1

TonyToro

I ended up making the “T” bracket. I have to paint it tomorrow and get the correct size bolts but it appears to be the right fix for this. 
The more I mess with this tractor the more I’m liking it. 
Tomorrow I have to figure out why the blades shut down the engine when they are engaged. I’m thinking a safety issue?

7D024AD3-13AB-486F-A438-AB19C3AF73E5.jpeg

TonyToro
On 10/12/2021 at 5:19 AM, T-Mo said:

Below is my 112L that I had.  I miss that tractor.

I have one if you want a project! 😂

T-Mo
9 hours ago, TonyToro said:

I have one if you want a project! 😂

Thanks, but too many miles between us.

• Like 1

TonyToro

Success! We have brakes.

now today search and find out why the PTO shuts off the engine.

85A0639A-6759-44CC-96C8-09A12C3E8A39.jpeg

T-Mo

Electric PTO?  As I mentioned above, the first year of the 108 and 111, they had mechanical PTO.  Then in 1980 until the last one produced in 1985, electric pto.

Here is the wiring for a 116, which had the electric pto...a 111 should be similar.

116wiring.jpeg

• Like 1

TonyToro
46 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

Electric PTO?  As I mentioned above, the first year of the 108 and 111, they had mechanical PTO.  Then in 1980 until the last one produced in 1985, electric pto.

Here is the wiring for a 116, which had the electric pto...a 111 should be similar.

116wiring.jpeg

Thank you! I got it! it run mows and stops now.

The previous owner cut the seat switch wire under the dash. I guess when I jumped the switch it made a circuit. I pulled the jumper out and everything works as it should.