Big Rig

Clutch Neutral Safety Switch

Big Rig

ISO clutch neutral safety switch for 310-8

or alternative 

Edited by Big Rig

gwest_ca

10 different models of 310-8 so picked one in the middle.

Is it this one?

8ntruck

I just fixed one of those.  I very carefully cut the top (on mine it is a black plate) off with a razor saw.  This allowed access to the internal switch components.  I polished the contact points, increased the tension in the moving contact by bending it a little.  Glued the top back on and reinstalled it in the tractor.  So far, so good.

The switch was built by Littlefuse and is obsolete.  I could not find a direct replacement in my web searches.

Good luck.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Many appliances use a switch like the one Garry pictured. My local appliance repair man looked at the switch and pulled one from his parts bin in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Big Rig
20 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Thanks. I’m going to try a couple parts stores in town. 

• Excellent 1

Big Rig

So I bought a switch from Ace. It was an “always off” switch. Got nothing when I turned the key til I hit the switch. Have to go get an “always on” switch & get engine to turn over. Thanks everybody for your help. 

• Sad 1

gwest_ca

Maybe it is this one

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, Big Rig said:

So I bought a switch from Ace. It was an “always off” switch. Got nothing when I turned the key til I hit the switch. Have to go get an “always on” switch & get engine to turn over. Thanks everybody for your help. 

Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?  Switch is open until you mash the pedal down?

Handy Don
15 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?  Switch is open until you mash the pedal down?

In an appliance, when used to turn on lights when the door or lid opened they close the circuit on release. These are "always off".

Jeff-C175
46 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

In an appliance, when used to turn on lights when the door or lid opened they close the circuit on release. These are "always off".

Ummm... not sure I understand what you're saying.  The 'resting state' of the switch is the 'Normal' position.  So when the fridge door is opened, that is the 'normal' state of the switch and these are "N/C or Normally Closed", or "always ON".

"N/O or Normally Open" or "always off" is because the 'resting state' of the switch is 'released'.

The ones that I linked to are, I believe, "Normally Open" because they are for an INTERLOCK switch on a furnace access door.  When the switch is UP, it is OPEN.  When you mash down the pedal, it CLOSES the contact allowing the starter to work.

Perhaps we are both saying the same thing from a different logical direction?

Edited by Jeff-C175

Handy Don
42 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Perhaps we are both saying the same thing from a different logical direction?

We are! :lol:

• Like 1