Chrishar

Transmission leak

Chrishar

I'll try that and see if it works I try all different things for a year but no luck thanks for the help y'all see what happens 

Chrishar

Jack the front up and drain it all day put 1qt. 80w90 oil in it  and ran it for 3mins in 3 gear were the shifter go oil started fill up around the shifter and started running over what is going on with this lawnmower makes no sense I tried to put a video of it but it wound not load 

16340079689371837466503.jpg

Edited by Chrishar

ebinmaine

Can you do the test WITHOUT the shifter in place?

stevasaurus

If you only put in 1 qt., you did not put in enough.  Add another qt. and check it again.  This is just way to weird.

I have bench tested Wheel Horse transmissions, using a 1/2 hp motor with fan belt and no shifter in the hole...the trans will throw drops of oil out the hole, but this would lubricate the shift rails.  Was not enough to leak out if the shifter was in place.  :eusa-think:

Snoopy11
On 10/8/2021 at 7:11 PM, Chrishar said:

pulled the drain plug out and let it drain over night 

I'm no transmission expert... I work better with engines, but I think you might have a drainage problem... because there is no reason to wait that long to drain the transmission. Mine takes me like 5 minutes to drain. 

I would take a borescope and look inside the drain plug hole... just to make sure nothing is blocking anything. If it is coming out of the shifter area... it must be really REALLY full...

Don

Snoopy11

One more question... might be kinda dumb... but can you take a picture of where you are draining the trans fluid from, and where you are filling it?

Don

Snoopy11

We have guys... including myself on here who run THOUSANDS of RPM's along with pulley swaps... without this issue... 

That's why I am asking the more obvious questions here... :thumbs:

Don

Snoopy11

When I look at this picture... when I look really close, I see, what appears to be fluid right at the shifter mouth... telling me that this sucker is pretty full... (not being contrary to anyone... just making an observation from layman's perspective).

1633659947400-1956123508.jpg

What I would do... and this is just me... is take the filler cap off the trans, take my left rear rim/tire off... allow the tractor to sit as if it has no left rear tire, directly on the ground, and watch the fluid come pouring out of the transmission. This method is allowing fluid to flow from the filler cap, rather than the drain plug. Once you get everything that will come out drained... put your left rear tire back on... fill until a tiny bit of oil comes out of the filler hole. Then, hopefully, boom... maybe that will solve your problem...

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

Snoopy11

But, as Steve has pointed out here...  it might be a low oil situation as well... 

You just don't know until you try.... seems like... :angry-banghead: ...but keep cracking at it!!!

Don

squonk

Wonder if there is a bunch of gunk in the bottom taking up space and raising the fluid level?

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
36 minutes ago, squonk said:

Wonder if there is a bunch of gunk in the bottom taking up space and raising the fluid level?

That's what I was thinking! Not entirely sure... I guess it is just good to give @Chrishar some ideas... hopefully something we say here might help... ;)

Don

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Did we say which drain plug is being used?

Snoopy11
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Did we say which drain plug is being used?

No... but I am curious of that as well!!!

You know the odd thing though, is if he is filling it through the filler hole... you would think it would overflow out the fill hole before it got too full. ...Unless the tractor is tipped to the right or to the front...

Steve may be on to something though, with it not being filled enough... 

Just hard to speculate... not being there and seeing the tractor...:crying-yellow:

Don

Chrishar

Run all my other wheel horse with a qt. Of oil I put my oil right at the bottom of the threads at fill hole I look in the shifter hole and the transmission looked clean and I like to drain my transmission and motors overnight I work on cars and lawnmower everyday but this thing has got me I have no given up yet on it but is not making any sense going to try the left wheel thing and see if that helps if not then I try and fill it to the top of the fill hole and see what happens