oldlineman

Need a little tranny help

oldlineman

Hi all well I was mowing my yard with my 1989 414-8, had 10 feet left and trany locked up. would roll forward and back about 3 feet. so I figured bull the tranny and see what is up. started tearing it down and pulled the dipstick and it was not there. Must have went down into the tranny. So what tranny do I have so I can order some gaskets and parts. I don't think the tranny is damaged but I need to get a gasket on it's way. Any info. will be greatly appreciated. Will have to get hold of Lowell. Thank you Bob

• Sad 1

squonk

Should be the 5091 8 spd.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

If it locked up you may have a broken differential carrier bolt floating around so don't force it to turn.

oldlineman

Thanks Squonk Garry I thought the same thing then I saw that the dipstick was missing from its handle. That made sense. I then jacked it up and rotated the wheels and it freed up and I was able to push it to my shed. Thanks for the replies. Now I need a dipstick I guess.  

• Like 1

oldlineman

Just another question guys, when you split the tranny you have the narrow side down correct, and do you have to pull the shifter to split the tranny. This is my first split sooooooooooooo , I have watched manny of Steves great presentations  but not sure about the shifter. Thanks Bob One more thing about how much gear oil for a refill of tranny. Thanks

Edited by oldlineman

roadapples

Brake side up...

oldlineman

Thank you roadapples. Bob

oldlineman

I found the problem one diff bolt broke and rest loose. Anyone know a good source for these and nuts. Doesn't look like any other damage. Got lucky I guess. What grade bolts would be the replacements? Thank one and all for your help! Bob  The broken bolt probable caught the dipstick and broke it off, diff bolt bent in a L shape. 5091 tranny

Edited by oldlineman
  • Like 1

pfrederi

I use Grade 9 Bolts from McMaster and locking nuts.

bolt.JPG

nuts.JPG

• Like 1

oldlineman

Just two questions torque for differential bolts and there is a small washer on the head side of these bolts one of mine broke can't seem to locate them purpose of said washers and would it be bad to just let them off. Thanks for all and any help! Bob 

pfrederi

Adding the washers came after an S/B 273 linked here.  Torque 30-35

diff.JPG

• Like 1

pfrederi

Washer still available Free shipping....

washer.JPG

oldlineman

Thank you Pfrederi great information . Bob

oldlineman

Well here's the culprit, I guess I was lucky, case alright, no damage to any gears and I learned how to open one of these things up after 42 years of Wheel horse ownership. Waiting on parts now. Thanks for all the help! Bob   

IMG_0194.JPG

• Excellent 1

jtrosp1980

Great way to learn but also bad way to hope all goes well 

• Like 1

oldlineman

I figure how many 32 year old tractors would last this long to break down. 1989 414-8 , Kohler M14 , can't beat it. I have a 42 year old 1979 c 101, 8 speed still going strong' probably shouldn't have brought that up with my luck. Bob

Edited by oldlineman

stevasaurus

I have never seen what can happen to one of those bolts that come loose.  When I think of what that looks like, I am not surprised.  Glad you found and are fixing the issue.  Love a happy ending.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

oldlineman

It cracked the pinion hub on the right side, getting a used one from A to Z Tractor and some seals and bearings from Lowell, he recommended changing the outer axle cage bearings  while I was in there, everything else looks ok to my untrained eye.  One question Steve, would it be ok to put the new axle seal in the case then slide the axle in or should you put the seal in after case halves are together? Or anyone with this  knowledge can respond, wasn't sure about cutting the seal on key way slot when sliding case onto axle. Thanks Bob

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You can do it either way.  Make sure to file all burrs on axle ends and over the woodruff key slot.  I have grown to like putting in the seal after everything is in place.  Reason:  I can't tell you how many times I have tried to close one up and had to take it apart again.  That is asking for trouble with a seal.  Put it together, file any burrs, tape the end and woodruff key hole and slide on seal (a little oil goes a long way).  Tap in seal with a punch...worked around gently...or a plastic tube  the size of the shaft.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  

• Like 2

oldlineman

About ready too put 5091 tranny back together,  what say ye on using gasket treatment on case gasket. Thanks for any and all replies. Bob 

Edited by oldlineman

pfrederi

Not necessary but i usually spray on some permatex spray-a gasket sealant...

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Do not use anything but the gasket, incase you have to open it again.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  The factory did not use anything.

• Like 1

oldlineman

Open it again??  It should be good for another 30 years! :handgestures-fingerscrossed::ychain:

Edited by stevasaurus
punctuation enter smiley face
  • Thanks 1

oldlineman

I have another question, how far from the outside of the axle tube do the needle bearings go in? I forgot to measure before I taped them out. In other words how much space from the outside of the tranny to the needle bearing behind the axle seal. I taped them in until they hit a ledge inside the axle tube. They are in probably approximately 1/2" or less. Thanks for all the help! Bob 

pfrederi

That is the right place.

• Like 1