Horse Newbie

1984 Work Horse GT-1600 REFRESH

Horse Newbie
On 10/7/2021 at 11:41 PM, Horse Newbie said:

numbers...I'll look again tomorrow.

I found the engine numbers...must have been looking too hard !

20211009_101309.jpg

Horse Newbie

I headed out to my local outdoor equipment supplier this morning to get my carb kit.

I called them first and told the guy I wanted B&S kit...got there...all he had was Chinese aftermarket kit.

Didn't buy it...ordered a B&S oem kit instead.

He said about a week...

I came back to the house and took my carb out of soak solution and washed it off.

It's ready to put back together when the kit gets here.

20211009_175141.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Gregor

Your kit will probably also cotain parts to rebuild the fuel pump. If you open it up, be mindful of 2 VERY SMALL springs. Take notice of where they came from, so you can put them back.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

@Gregor...yes I believe you are correct.

I have already encountered those two small springs when I disassembled the carbertrater.

Thank you Taryl.

Can you tell me the order of reinstallation of the parts for the pump starting at the carb and working my way out to the fuel pump cover plate ?

Like for instance ...

1. Backing plate ( actually carb body)

2. Gasket

3. Pump body

4. Pump spring

5. Diaphragm (including small springs)

6. Gasket

7. Cover plate

If you don't know this right-off-hand I guess I can watch a Taryl video. :lol:

Gregor
11 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

If you don't know this right-off-hand

Sorry, it's been too long. On the good side, I think the springs are identical, you can't mix them up.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

I'm eagerly awaiting my parts to arrive from Briggs and Stratton...I need to paint my valve covers on the twin Briggs.

Do any of you guys know what color( generally speaking) I should paint the tins for the engine ? 

The heat shields will get a high temp Rustoleum of some shade off black.

The muffkin will be silver.

Gregor
3 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Do any of you guys know what color( generally speaking) I should paint the tins for the engine ? 

I kind-a like this.

1245408595_20210716_093012(2).jpg.b2f85a73e0d123a0bdb80a92e821b910.jpg

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

That does look great, but with the GT-1600 being a Work Horse and I have others say a " Pewter Gray", I'm really leaning toward going back with a black.

I appreciate the response though .

How about the black on the hood/ grille, transmission console, dash, and frame ?

Isn't that color Satin Black ?

Gregor

Dash is plastic. All painted black is gloss with clear coat. Including the steering wheel.

But I'm not sure it is suppose to be gloss.

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie
59 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Dash is plastic.

Are you sure ?...I just triple checked...no plastic dash.

Now the round tube-like thing that is the steering column is plastic.

Gregor

You have a GT-1600.  Mine is a C-175.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

@Stepney is your GT workhorse colored like this one?

Horse Newbie

Oh okay @Gregor...I understand my confusion now...I was asking what color for a my GT-1600, and I think you were telling me what colors were on your C-175.

WheelHorse520H

I just read through this, can’t wait to see what it looks like when your done with it.

• Like 1

Stepney

Mine is pewter grey, more of a glossy and metallic. From factory they are more of an industrial/naval grey. Mine is closer in the photo, an original is behind it. The engines were typical B&S matte black, white wheels, black frame, dash tower. The wheel is hard black plastic on both. The column trim and wheel are not painted. Just black plastic. The wheel is different than what WHorse used. Cheaper I suppose. 

116343365_1033673133735387_3376280086196826433_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie

Thanks @WheelHorse520H...but don't get yourself too excited, as this is merely a refresh and not a restoration.

I am not nearly the caliber of mechanic and restorer that others on Red Square are, but I am sure it will turn out in better shape than when I got it.

Thank you you the interest in my project !

Horse Newbie
4 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Mine is pewter grey, more of a glossy and metallic. From factory they are more of an industrial/naval grey. Mine is closer in the photo, an original is behind it. The engines were typical B&S matte black, white wheels, black frame, dash tower. The wheel is hard black plastic on both. The column trim and wheel are not painted. Just black plastic. The wheel is different than what WHorse used. Cheaper I suppose. 

116343365_1033673133735387_3376280086196826433_n.jpg

Thanks @Stepney...I will probably go with a lighter gray than yours. I'm not a purist , just appreciate what the original builders and designers turned out, while certainly understanding any current owner improving their tractor.

But this is exactly the response I like.

See what others have, and get many ideas for when the time comes to paint mine.

BTW... Do you know who the guy is on RS that has that real nice Work Horse that he has shown pics of that look like its in a showroom ?

Stepney

The one you speak of is a GT1800 or 1848 like mine. I found his pictures on another forum just now .. and I think he's here too? Couldn't find it on RS. 

Mine was 'restored' by the dealer that sold it in the late 90's and got this dark pewter color. So it's not correct at all. Nice change though. I'm not much of a fan for the original flat gray. A lighter color would be neat too. 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
5 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

The column trim and wheel are not painted. Just black plastic.

My wheel is in good shape...the steering column badly faded. So I'll have to try to restore(Armor All ?), or paint the column.

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Do you know who the guy is on RS that has that real nice Work Horse that he has shown pics of that look like its in a showroom ?

Would that be @c-series don

• Like 1

WHX??

Pretty sure it is EB saw it a couple times at the BS and it is absolutely georgeous. No bolt left unturned.  Thers is a thread in here on it somewhere. Thought I had a pic of it in this mess but can't find it. A Work Horse is not exactly on my bucket list but I do appreciate them for what they are and would not turn away an orphan. 

Enjoying your thread Newbie. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie

@WHX??...yeah @c-series don has a beauty of a Work Horse, that's for sure.

And I understand when you say it's not on your bucket list.

My Work Horse was a freebie, solid shape, and I hate to see small tractors of Wheel Horse type quality thrown to the scrap pile.

I have heard somewhat of a debate as to whether the Work Horse is even a real Wheel Horse, but it does say "by Wheel Horse" on the decal on the hood.

I don't debate such issues...she's mine, special because she's mine, and I want to make her into the best that my limited skills allow.

Thanks for your help !

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

@c-series don

You said-

Like I’ve said here before many times, a Work Horse is a Wheel Horse through and through.  

What colors are the gray body panels, hood, on a 1984 GT-1600 ?

How about the frame, transmission, console, dash... Satin black ?

WHX??

Your :text-welcomewave: Newbie .. I enjoy the threads when a guy just wants to get her in good mechanical shape and work it some more. That's seems to be more my speed these days.   A full blown resto can can complicated not to mention $$. Often times than not a guy has got that  much time and money into it he's afraid to stick it in the dirt.  I'm more of a subscriber to the @Achto school of restoration except mine are not as pretty as his so when I stick in the dirt I don't feel as bad! :)
 That said it better be Grampa's tractor before I do another one (resto). Or a bucket lister that is too far gone to do what you are doing. 

29 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

@WHX??...yeah @c-series don 

I have heard somewhat of a debate as to whether the Work Horse is even a real Wheel Horse, but it does say "by Wheel Horse" on the decal on the hood.

It is, it's got the same roots as C-160  and don't let any one tell you different.  

34 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

@WHX??...yeah @c-series don 

I don't debate such issues...she's mine, special because she's mine and I want to make her into the best that my limited skills allow. 

Now your taliking our lingo. We are here to help you over your UNLIMITED skills that you have but just don't know it yet. 

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

afraid to stick it in the dirt

No way. 

Build it. 

Make it nice once.  

Then USE it. 

• Excellent 3