D_Mac

Case 224

D_Mac

So I got this dropped of in my yard today. I have never owed one before, i know nothing about them or it for that matter. You guys know the story... ran years ago when it was parked. Case 224 with deck, snow blower, and a Sears rear mount rototiller. Any advice or knowledge anyone wants to pass along I would appreciate. See if I can't get it running and driving again. Thanks

20211003_120016.jpg

20211003_120004.jpg

20211003_120006.jpg

20211003_120013.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Man look at all those brackets! Jigsaw puzzles are great to pass the time when the weather turns nasty! :) :teasing-poke:

• Confused 1

D_Mac

Lol we have weeks of summer like weather ahead !!!

Maxwell-8

A dude were I bought the 312-8, recently sold one, paint in the same condition but a good runner. for $750. 

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Got home and checked it out. Seems to be all there. It's ruff but definitely saveable. Going to try and figure out how to get the blower off of it tomorrow. If I can do that I can push it around, get air in the tire, then see about cranking it over. 

slim67

If I had a nickel for every time I heard “it ran when I parked it” , we’d all be rich!

D_Mac

I couldn't wait until morning. I got the blower off. Pushed it over by my truck, filled the front tire with air. Popped the hood of my truck and got out the jumper cables. Tractor turns over good. Won't start, it isn't getting a spark. Not sure if there are any safety switches. I will clean the points and try again in the morning. I was working outside in the pouring rain and darkness. Any pointers are appreciated. 

Handy Don
17 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Any pointers are appreciated

Get light and get out of the rain when working on testing for spark! :lol:

Edited by Handy Don
  • Haha 1

D_Mac

Well, day 2 of rain and no spark. Not sure if it's a safety switch issue. Have to work on it outside so with the rain I don't spend much time on it.

20211004_080032.jpg

20211004_094405.jpg

20211004_094421.jpg

20211004_094513.jpg

D_Mac

Well back outside again this morning. Front tire won't hold air making it hard to push around. I changed the two front tires and took the chains off the rears so I push it from the shed to the driveway easily. The seat was also barely hanging on so I removed it and put a better one on. Took the battery out and removed a plate in the dash to expose some wiring. Dosnt look to good. The wiring for the fuse holder seen better days. That loose black wire runs behind the dash down to that square box behind the cover. Someone hacked the connector that I belive is a safety switch. I need electrician. 

20211005_134428.jpg

20211005_144056.jpg

20211005_144102.jpg

20211005_144111.jpg

20211005_144322.jpg

20211005_144336.jpg

• Sad 1

squonk

You need an Exorcist! 

• Haha 1

D_Mac
48 minutes ago, squonk said:

You need an Exorcist! 

I don't have a clue when it comes to electrical issues. I do know that it needs some professional attention ! 

D_Mac

I got the professional help the Case needed. My cousin came over today and within a couple of hours he has up and running. Amazing how good it runs for setting outside for the past 5 yrs. It's even running on the 5 yr old gas. He did some rewiring and we put a new coil on it. Had to bypass a safety switch. I'm shocked at how smooth it runs. Drives well. Those familiar with these know that they are hydrolic drive with high / low drive. So tomorrow I will attempt to install either the mowing deck or snowblower. 

20211005_134436.jpg

• Like 2

WHNJ701

The case 200 series by far is one of the best machines out there.  They are very undervalued for what they can do.  By far it's the best machine with a snowblower.  It takes a little getting used to driving it.  The hi range they fly.  

They are tanks I used mine with the snowplow as a bulldozer to push brush and brush piles around.  Unfortunately my snowblower was to far gone from neglect.

Sadly if you sell the machine they seem to have little value anymore.  Good luck with it

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

It is built like a tank that's for sure. I am still uncertain as to what the difference is between this hydraulic drive and a hydrostatic drive. Yes in hi it wants to pull the front wheels off the ground at take off. I am pretty sure I have all the pieces for both the snow blower and the deck. The rototiller came with it but is a Sears. I have not tried to start it, but it does turn. The Case reminds me a little of that older Cub I had. I am happy to have it but most likely going to sell it. Not sure of its value. Might just hang on to it until we get snow. I like the floor boards and the pass through. Way easier to get on and off the my Horses. Might just paint the grill and the wheels.

Handy Don
12 hours ago, D_Mac said:

It is built like a tank that's for sure. I am still uncertain as to what the difference is between this hydraulic drive and a hydrostatic drive. Yes in hi it wants to pull the front wheels off the ground at take off. I am pretty sure I have all the pieces for both the snow blower and the deck. The rototiller came with it but is a Sears. I have not tried to start it, but it does turn. The Case reminds me a little of that older Cub I had. I am happy to have it but most likely going to sell it. Not sure of its value. Might just hang on to it until we get snow. I like the floor boards and the pass through. Way easier to get on and off the my Horses. Might just paint the grill and the wheels.

If you do decide to dive into it deeper, we'd love to see pictures of the internals, especially the drive train and PTO setup. Thanks and good luck.

• Thanks 1

bds1984

I know enough to be dangerous with these machines so take that like a grain of salt.  I remember this explanation of the difference found here.  Perhaps this will help explain. 

To me the difference is in how the drive/pump is coupled together compared to a WH.  On the Case/Ingersol, the engine drives a hydraulic pump off the engine versus a drive belt or shaft found on our Wheel Horses.  That pump drives the transaxle and rear attachments like a rototiller or another other attachment that can be driven by a hydraulic motor via hydraulic lines, no belt.  

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Thanks for the link. Explains it pretty good. I gave it a coat of paint. Worst paint job I have ever done. I rushed it because I am trying to get some projects done before my surgery. Color is awful. It's not finished yet but here it is.

20211012_125729.jpg

• Like 1

D_Mac

So not my best work on the paint but it's an improvement. I still can't believe how well it runs. It has 5 yr old gas in it. I did nothing to clean the carb. Turn the key it fires right up. Runs real smooth at super low idle and at wide open throttle. Engine is no joke. Before I painted it I changed the oil and replaced the headlight bulbs. Couldn't be happier with it. 

20211012_185217.jpg

20211012_185200.jpg

20211012_185123.jpg

20211012_185112.jpg

20211004_080032.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 2

rjg854

That cleaned up really nice Don.  What are your plans for it now?

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Most likely sell it. It has a 48inch deck and a snowblower attachment as well. I haven't looked into either of those yet but I believe they are complete and in working condition. Paint won't mat h now but oh well. Plan B is keep it to use on my driveway !!

20211013_092833.jpg

Edited by D_Mac

WHNJ701

It looks nice in the pictures, not to be critical it's your deal.  I am often very cautious when I see quick spray paint jobs.  I think you would be better off getting them running good and just clean them up with the original paint and patina, and maybe just paint the rims.  Let the buyer decide if they want to paint it correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
20 minutes ago, jabelman said:

It looks nice in the pictures, not to be critical it's your deal.  I am often very cautious when I see quick spray paint jobs.  I think you would be better off getting them running good and just clean them up with the original paint and patina, and maybe just paint the rims.  Let the buyer decide if they want to paint it correctly.

This is an interesting debate, isn't it? Buyers come in all styles, right?

They range from the "I don't have the time/skill/patience to do it myself so I'm happy it runs and looks decent" to the "you've ruined it by messing with the original paint and I'm no longer interested". You never know when one or the other will arrive.

Another aspect is that there are (in my personal experience) fewer buyers who understand and are willing to own/maintain 20 to 40-year old equipment, let alone willing to bring it back to life, than there are "I need something that looks ok, doesn't cost too much, and lets me mow the lawn this afternoon". I've fielded the "Where do you get this serviced and are there parts available?" question many times. Owning machines of this vintage is a different commitment than for many other purchases.

My impression of the members of this forum is that they are willing, for pleasure or economy or effectiveness or other reasons, to make the commitment.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac

In my experience selling, buyers, unless they are collectors, want shiny new looking. If it looks like a rusted piece of junk they assume that's what it is. Jury is still out on if I will sell it. You notice I never paint any of my Wheel Horses. I like the weathered look but this case was past weathered. 

• Like 1