dkg520

Ignition demons

dkg520

I have a agreement with my local metal recycling company to give me a telephone call if a Wheel Horse is brought in to be crushed.  So they call me with a 312-8 with the Koehler Magnum 12 motor but the wiring is both melted or cut all to shreds.  But the price was right so I loaded it up and am attempting to get it running.  Well after about a week of trial and error I have it starting with the ignition as long as I unhook the ground wire from the rear of the ignition switch.  Of course with the ground unhooked the motor will not turn off using the key.  If I hook the ground wire to the rear of the ignition then I have no spark and the motor will not start.  When I have the motor running it runs great.  What am I doing wrong?  Thank you for any suggestions.

Achto

Bad or wrong ignition switch??

Check to see if the M terminal on the switch is grounded all of the time (off, run, start). If it is then the switch is bad.

• Like 1

WHX??

Sounds like you need to either.

1) Rewire the entire tractor.

2) Parts her out  given that it was a ready headed for the shredder.

3) Trouble shoot the existing wiring as Dan suggested . 

• Like 2

pacer

No help with your problem, but ...... I really like the title of your post "Ignition DEMONS!!!" Man, that is .... soooo descriptive of the way those things fluster a guy :thumbs:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

dkg520

It’s really to nice to part out.  But I appreciate all your advice.  Tomorrow’s another day and I will take another try.

953 nut

Too bad the previous owner botched up the wiring but you wouldn't have gotten such a good deal if he hadn't.  At least he didn't get voltage to the Mag and fry it. Have you checked the wires to the PTO and seat switches? 

11 hours ago, dkg520 said:

the wiring is both melted or cut all to shreds.

Carefully pull apart the melted wires to see where each goes and replace them one at a time. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

dkg520

Pulled all the melted wires and replaced.  Got a new ignition switch and everything is working as it should except the lights.  I will rewire the lights when I have the time.  Thanks for all the comments,

pfrederi

Some 312 -8 came with unregulated 3 amp systems.  if there is no regulator it is the 3 amp system. The lights run directly  off the stator only work when engine is running

Edited by pfrederi