Old Guy

hard smokey start help please

Old Guy

Have to put gas in the spark plug hole and full choke to start full throttle as it warms up slowely realease choke and reduce thotle smoke has stopped and when fully warm runs pretty well

white smoke lots

Edited by Old Guy
add
  • Sad 1

953 nut

:WRS:

From the sound of it there may be some deferred maintenance you need to get caught up on. An ignition tune up and showing the fuel system some love would be a good start. You may want to let us know the model  of your :wh: and the  make and model  engine so we can be of more help.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

Old Guy

K301 s kohler

Fordiesel69

1.) Remove cylinder head and decarbon the top of the piston, the cylinder ridge, and the valves with a brass brush.  If the cylinder is all scratched / scored you will have your answer and can stop now.  

2.) Clean / File / Inspect points.  Set gap to 0.018 which is close enough without getting too technical.

3.) Replace the drain valve on the fuel tank and install a new fuel line to the fuel pump (they collapse and cause low fuel flow, causing you to chase your tail.)

4.) Overhaul and clean the carburetor, and adjust it correctly.

All of this may or may not solve your issue but its basic maint that is required anyways.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Old Guy

Thanks 

oliver2-44
11 minutes ago, Fordiesel69 said:

If the cylinder is all scratched / scored you will have your answer and can stop now.  

3.) Replace the drain valve on the bottom of the tank

Ford diesel has some good advice. I would add the following. I the cylinder wall are polished shiny (from wear) and you don’t see any honing cross hatch... there’s your answer 

Pull the gas tank and clean it out while replacing bottom valve. 

Also if available buy and use non ethanol fuel. Your carburetor will thank you

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

Old Guy

sounds like may e I should check fuel pump first what do you think ? tank and car  was cleaned what are your thoughts ?

roadapples

If fuel line and filter aren't replaced, carburetor work is probably a waste of time...

• Like 1

953 nut

Do the entire job in a workmanlike manner now or chase little annoying problems from now until doomsday.

What type ignition system do you have?

1420017001_Kohlerignitioncoils.jpg.b0b8f705e8821cf3980a1640bc103195.jpg

Old Guy

the one on left with new condeser ordered head gasket let you know

Tuneup

Get it all clean and then you can probably start it with some Gumout through the carb . Once started and running without Gumout, your fuel pump has come online and is weak. My 77 never starts without a squirt. I just haven't gotten to the fuel pump rebuild step.

Snoopy11

Compression test!!!

Don

• Confused 1

Old Guy

snoopy and tuneup you guys are right on I dont have a tester going to  orrow one but it seems to have a lot of compresion when turning it over.I have already ordered a fuel pump and head gasket going to get the pump reubild kit for the original pump and get rid of the China crap. Then check the cylinder. Only prolem is i need it every couple of days so the little squirt works for now.

Thanks everyone:banana-gotpics::banana-wrench:

953 nut
10 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Compression test!!!

Don

The ACR, Automatic Compression Release, makes a compression test inaccurate. A cylinder leak-down test is very good though.

953 nut

I would also suggest checking the ignition timing. Static timing is fairly easy to do and lots of information on the process can be found on the internet.

Old Guy

Thanks very informing

Snoopy11
10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The ACR, Automatic Compression Release, makes a compression test inaccurate. A cylinder leak-down test is very good though.

Yep, @953 nut... you are correct.

HOWEVER! I have done compression tests on these engines by loosening the lash on the exhaust valve to the point the compression release doesn't open the valve during the starting procedure. Then, you can take a compression test that will tell you enough...

BUT, leakdown test is definitely more productive...

Don

• Thanks 1

wallfish

White smoke is oil burning.

WheelHorse520H
22 hours ago, wallfish said:

White smoke is oil burning.

I thought blue was oil burning, no?

I do agree with the above, clean EVERYTHING in the the fuel system.

• Like 1

wallfish

Blue/dark would be fuel 1/2 burning

The white smoke is oil. There's more than a carb issue going on

Wheelhorse#1

Can’t your spin the engine backwards to do a compression test ? I hear you can do it ,haven’t tried .

If she’s smoking a lot probably have some carbon build up going on.

Edited by Wheelhorse#1
  • Confused 1

Old Guy

worked on it today a bit

spark was week put on new coil had way etter spark checked the valve clearence.

Put a it of gas in the cylinder  backfired and now wont start at all.

Compression seems to hi in the first revolution the spins quicker  

Thanks for all the interest

Old Guy

Is there any chance I am geting oil into the car b from the chaep china fuel pump 

953 nut
56 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Is there any chance I am geting oil into the car b from the chaep china fuel pump 

Chances are the opposite would occur, a bad diaphragm has been known to allow fuel to enter the crank case diluting the oil and resulting in very poor lubrication. 

Old Guy
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Chances are the opposite would occur, a bad diaphragm has been known to allow fuel to enter the crank case diluting the oil and resulting in very poor lubrication. 

Have a feeling that maye what stated my prolem

• Sad 1