Bens vintage tractors

520-8 repower

Bens vintage tractors

Well it’s finally time to start the repower on my 520-8. The Onan blew up (believe it broke a rod). I offered the whole tractor for sale for a couple of months but nobody wanted it. So I will be repowering it with a 27hp Honda vtwin. Hopefully going to get the PTO hooked up so I can till and snow blow with the tractor still. I have always wanted a 520-8 but I hate onans (onans are fine when they are running I’ve actually had a 520h with an onan that I loved. But once the onan breaks they are boat anchors to me) this is my chance to finally have a 520-8 with a newer engine! Also I have already found someone who wants the onan for parts so it will not go to waste! 

D406DA46-3802-4526-8279-00BA5DA282E4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

It'll be interesting to see the new engine on there. 

Please keep us posted!

kpinnc
1 hour ago, Bens vintage tractors said:

. I have always wanted a 520-8 but I hate onans (onans are fine when they are running I’ve actually had a 520h with an onan that I loved. But once the onan breaks they are boat anchors to me)

Perfectly sums up how I feel about Onans, at least the 20hp Performer. They are fantastic when in working order, but I don't plan to put much time or money into repairing one.

My 520-H is a great tractor, and I will maintain it as long as I can. That said, if that Onan gives out I won't rebuild it. It will get a repower much like my current 523 project- which was originally a 518-HE. Parts availability and cost alone are prohibitive when compared to a Kohler. Prices per part are similar, but you need twice as many with an Onan. 

I look forward to your repower. 27hp is a bunch of power! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

littleredrider

Be following as well, I have a 520-8. Currently runs fine, but who knows on these things. I have a 60" deck that is mostly my main mower, but after getting my late father's JD 425 with a 48", I realized how much of a gas hog the Onan is. It takes bout a 1/2 tank to mow roughly an acre. I mowed 3-4 times with the JD. But when I do a repower, it will be a diesel. My other 520 has a single cylinder 10 horse diesel, and it will outpull either tractor. Granted traction has alot to do with it, but the power this thing has is insane. Makes me want to repower the 250 with the Yanmar 3 banger....Keep us posted!!!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, littleredrider said:

diesel

Ben has a diesel or two in his arsenal as well. Interesting little rigs.

• Excellent 1

SPINJIM

Were you able to find a Honda twin that easily adapts to the 520?   I've been considering doing the same.   Someone used to sell a Honda or a B&S with an adapter kit for the WH 520, but don't know if it's available anymore.

Jim  

• Like 1

Bens vintage tractors
12 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

Were you able to find a Honda twin that easily adapts to the 520?   I've been considering doing the same.   Someone used to sell a Honda or a B&S with an adapter kit for the WH 520, but don't know if it's available anymore.

Jim  

I actually just came across it and trades 2 k series kohlers for it. It looks like it’s gonna fit no problem but I will keep you guys updated! 

• Like 1

Bens vintage tractors
4 hours ago, littleredrider said:

Be following as well, I have a 520-8. Currently runs fine, but who knows on these things. I have a 60" deck that is mostly my main mower, but after getting my late father's JD 425 with a 48", I realized how much of a gas hog the Onan is. It takes bout a 1/2 tank to mow roughly an acre. I mowed 3-4 times with the JD. But when I do a repower, it will be a diesel. My other 520 has a single cylinder 10 horse diesel, and it will outpull either tractor. Granted traction has alot to do with it, but the power this thing has is insane. Makes me want to repower the 250 with the Yanmar 3 banger....Keep us posted!!!

Yea I have about 5 diesel tractors right now and 5 Diesel engines waiting to go on tractors. Absolutely love them but in this application I want something that will start easy in cold weather. I’ve plowed with a pull start only diesel and I don’t plan on doing it again lol

• Like 1

Bens vintage tractors
6 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Perfectly sums up how I feel about Onans, at least the 20hp Performer. They are fantastic when in working order, but I don't plan to put much time or money into repairing one.

My 520-H is a great tractor, and I will maintain it as long as I can. That said, if that Onan gives out I won't rebuild it. It will get a repower much like my current 523 project- which was originally a 518-HE. Parts availability and cost alone are prohibitive when compared to a Kohler. Prices per part are similar, but you need twice as many with an Onan. 

I look forward to your repower. 27hp is a bunch of power! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Yea they are great and powerful engines when they are running but the second one needs a rebuild I’m all set with it. Looking forward to having all that power with an 8 speed behind it. My buddy has a 300 series Deere with the same Honda and it is the most powerful garden tractor I’ve ever driven. 

• Like 1

kpinnc
22 minutes ago, Bens vintage tractors said:

My buddy has a 300 series Deere with the same Honda and it is the most powerful garden tractor I’ve ever driven.

27hp is a chunk on one of these tractors. I have seen some repowers with 33hp, and I always wondered if the stock belts and other connections would handle it.

Either way we want pictures of your tractor as you convert it.

We like pictures!

Snoopy11
6 hours ago, littleredrider said:

Yanmar 3 banger

Yeah, that would be pretty massive power production...

Everyone hears that I have a 51 horsepower engine... few people know it actually dyno tested at the power level. For those types of repowers, I recommend Bando Ultrapower AG belts. THEY ARE RIDICULOUSLY STRONG!!!

1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

We like pictures!

:text-yeahthat:

Don

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, Bens vintage tractors said:

start easy in cold weather.

Yeah, you gotta have some forearms like logs to pull start these big ole' mammoth engines in winter, gas or diesel... :angry-steamingears:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
4 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:
1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

We like pictures!

:text-yeahthat:

Dat's the nice thing about following @kpinnc's threads, he gives lots of pictures!!!

We wheel horse nuts be like: :happy-wavemulticolor:

Don

Snoopy11
6 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

THEY ARE RIDICULOUSLY STRONG!!!

I say that, leaving out the fact that I have physically broken PIX kevlar belts... :angry-banghead:

Don

kpinnc
2 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:
7 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Dat's the nice thing about following @kpinnc's threads, he gives lots of pictures!!!

You guys responding to my threads gives me motivation. Not to mention I need someone looking over my shoulder to keep me from doing something stupid...:P

• Haha 2

Snoopy11
Just now, kpinnc said:

You guys responding to my threads gives me motivation. Not to mention I need someone looking over my shoulder to keep me from doing something stupid...:P

Yeah, the only kinda big thing I don't like about you, @kpinnc... you say that your favorite models are red in color. 

My horse is not red... :crying-blue:

Don

• Haha 1

Snoopy11
8 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

looking over my shoulder to keep me from doing something stupid...

Heh... 

You ain't the only one... 

ARC Racing has an invitation to look over my shoulder all day. I tell you what, if you ever want to learn about these engines and the science behind them, do contact ARC (Amundsen Research Corporation). They are truly awesome, straight-up guys. 

Hunter over at ARC has mentored me for a while with these engines. 

Don

kpinnc
10 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

My horse is not red... :crying-blue:

We're dangerously close to hijacking this thread, so I'll be quick:

Sorry Don! I might need to adjust my "favorite tractor" stuff in my profile. I never considered customs or even Work Horses when I put that up... 

Snoopy11
4 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

We're dangerously close to hijacking this thread

:hilarious:

Yeah... we need to start a "petty member grievances thread" :roll:

Don

kpinnc
Just now, Snoopy11 said:

:hilarious:

Yeah... we need to start a "petty member grievances thread" :roll:

Works for me!

...and I changed my profile. You gotta know I like the power ranger!:P

• Haha 1

Snoopy11
11 hours ago, Bens vintage tractors said:

D406DA46-3802-4526-8279-00BA5DA282E4.jpeg

By the way, That is an excellent specimen of a Horse! Some members might vomit by the vile green excrement behind the Horse, but very nice Deere as well!

My only question... what if anything are you going to do about the seat?

Don 

Bens vintage tractors
3 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

By the way, That is an excellent specimen of a Horse! Some members might vomit by the vile green excrement behind the Horse, but very nice Deere as well!

My only question... what if anything are you going to do about the seat?

Don 

I have a new seat I’m gonna put on it. And I wanted a Massey to keep up with the red theme but they didn’t have any when I wanted to buy one lol

• Like 1

Bens vintage tractors
6 hours ago, kpinnc said:

27hp is a chunk on one of these tractors. I have seen some repowers with 33hp, and I always wondered if the stock belts and other connections would handle it.

Either way we want pictures of your tractor as you convert it.

We like pictures!

I pull with wheel horses as well. I have a buddy with a 60hp wheel horse. There’s a belt we use called a 5v belt from Vbelt supply.com. I have yet to see one of those stretch or break.

• Like 2

AMC RULES
7 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

Jim  

I believe Small Engine Wherehouse is the source for them replacement kits.

20210917_172242.jpg.813186aa49dd2d720bc77fdb1d951416.jpg

Coincidentally, one of their engine replacements just jumped in my truck tonight.

https://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/Repower-Old-Equipment/Repower-Wheel-Horse

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

one of their engine replacements just jumped in my truck tonight

Very cool. 

I've never seen one of them pictured. 

• Like 1