Bens vintage tractors

520-8 repower

Bens vintage tractors

Well she’s almost done for now. I’ll post some better pics tomorrow. I’ll also make a build thread incase anyone wants to see the whole built.

EE5475A3-4DC7-47DD-A3F0-2EF5B0960916.jpeg

3811CD9D-C784-44A1-B1ED-EC7E36CD3798.jpeg

• Excellent 4

ebinmaine

Runs drives moves stops happy snappy?

Any adjustments to be done?

A whole thread would be nice. That way it's documented for future usage if someone else wants to do a similar swap. 

If there's any particular challenges or things to know before, during or after the work please put that info in. 

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Very nice!

I was gonna use flat bar, but your idea sounds better. 

I wanted to make something that would not inhibit the air flow to the rear cylinder. The K582 is 2 sizes larger than a 17/18 block and really takes up a lot of space. The rear cylinder would be well behind a solid guard. 

The idea behind the C channel vs angle metal is mostly for the different look. Also to keep from accidentally dropping something like a shoelace into what would be an exposed moving belt. 

My build has the engine center sitting a few inches towards the driver simply because of the large engine's physical size. 

However, there's a 7" spacer between the frame and transmission. 

The upper portion of the belt needs to be supported from the engine to idler pulley like any other. That'll actually be a shorter run and the idler moves in an arc. My thought process at this point is to run a straight piece of channel from the top of the engine pulley to the top of the transmission pulley.  I'll "flare down" the back to account for that arc movement. 

The lower part on the other hand will be a little longer and needs a straight steady position hold. 

• Like 1

Bens vintage tractors
40 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Runs drives moves stops happy snappy?

Any adjustments to be done?

A whole thread would be nice. That way it's documented for future usage if someone else wants to do a similar swap. 

If there's any particular challenges or things to know before, during or after the work please put that info in. 

41 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

A whole thread would be nice.

I’ll make a whole build sheet too. Very easy swap.

• Thanks 2

Handy Don
On 9/26/2021 at 10:05 AM, ebinmaine said:

Also true. 

One of the things I'm doing on the Colossus build (flat opposed K582) is using small pieces of C or U channel to wrap the belt top and bottom instead of a full belt guard. All open area where there normally would be sheet metal. 

That is a cool idea. Just don't let the CPSC get wind of it! :lol:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

That is a cool idea. Just don't let the CPSC get wind of it! :lol:

I'm fairly sure I'm well off their radar. 

• Like 1

Bens vintage tractors

Well that’s a rap for now. Not 100% finished but all it needs to be perfect is some paint and grip tape on the floorboards. Very happy with the outcome. 

42A3CACB-7FC1-4365-B9ED-A9DB64EFA897.jpeg

2527C68E-C078-440C-BBDC-1DA84A6D882E.jpeg

• Excellent 7

Bens vintage tractors

Also put my custom hitch receiver on it.

C26D33EA-A601-40B6-A96F-F1C5E769F905.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Looks great Ben!

I'll be looking forward to seeing and hearing that run!

kpinnc
8 hours ago, Bens vintage tractors said:

Not 100% finished but all it needs to be perfect is some paint and grip tape on the floorboards. Very happy with the outcome. 

That machine looks like it's ready to do some work!

Outstanding, and quick work to boot! :thumbs:

• Like 3

Bens vintage tractors

Well…. I’m not terribly happy with the 520-8. The Honda decided it doesn’t want to run right.. cleaned the carb, adjusted the governor, I even changed the spark plugs and it still runs funny.. thinking this little brand new diesel I have might end up in the 520… I’m hoping to have this and my B-160 done for Steve’s meet and greet..

F295D0A8-F277-4242-9307-A50135C92BF9.jpeg

• Like 1

littleredrider

You won't be disappointed with that diesel!!!! I love the one that I have. It's on a hydro, but still has insane amount of torque for the size of the engine. I never finished the wiring on it, electric start works but battery keeps going low. But it will start on the first pull. 

• Like 1

peter lena

@littleredrider , increasing my electrical grounding made a total gain on electrical issues , best gain , battery ground rail point , 4 ga  cable from there to , lower engine corner , near clutch pedal , serated washers , dielectric grease , 10 / 12 ga ground wire from front engine corner to rectifier mount point on cooling shroud , dielectric grease .  eliminated all my issues , worth a look , pete 

• Like 1

Bens vintage tractors
5 hours ago, littleredrider said:

You won't be disappointed with that diesel

I’ve got a few other single cylinder diesels and love them all so far..

kpinnc

Aw man, I liked the Honda!

Diesel will be very cool though!

littleredrider

If i keep it, I'll fix that stuff this winter. After dealing with water in basement and digging to find the drain out back, getting the tractors stuck, and starting a new better paying job, think I might sell some and get a new 4wd with loader and backhoe. Just need to get thru for now lol

• Like 1

Witte
On 9/27/2021 at 2:58 AM, Bens vintage tractors said:

I’ll make a whole build sheet too. Very easy swap.

I’m working on a 520H now. Did you ever do up a series of posts or a build sheet on your swap?