Less than 20hrs run time on this one.

WOW. 

Good find Sir. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

This is their 20hp Honda replacement.

Less than 20hrs run time on this one.

Was this a Wheelhorse/Toro thing or aftermarket company?

AMC RULES

They're an aftermarket supplier Eric.

https://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/Repower-Old-Equipment

Their claim to fame is supplying everything you need to accomplish the swap included in the kit.

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Thanks 2

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

They're an aftermarket supplier Eric.

https://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/Repower-Old-Equipment

Their claim to fame is supplying everything you need to accomplish the swap included in the kit.

What they say about my tractor:

Original Model: Tecumseh h60-75117h

The exact engine is no longer available. There is nothing else that will fit without cutting your hood and grill

Edited by Snoopy11

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Or, remove the hood and everything fits.

WheelhorseBob

520-8 is a rare beast. Onans aren’t difficult to work on and parts are readily available. If you put another engine in it, it will be nothing special. About the same as any 312, 314 or 416. It’s yours so it’s up to you.

Bens vintage tractors
9 hours ago, kpinnc said:

27hp is a chunk on one of these tractors. I have seen some repowers with 33hp, and I always wondered if the stock belts and other connections would handle it.

Either way we want pictures of your tractor as you convert it.

We like pictures!

I pull with wheel horses as well. I have a buddy with a 60hp wheel horse. There’s a belt we use called a 5v belt from Vbelt supply.com. I have yet to see one of those stretch or break.

• Like 1

Bens vintage tractors
37 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

520-8 is a rare beast. Onans aren’t difficult to work on and parts are readily available. If you put another engine in it, it will be nothing special. About the same as any 312, 314 or 416. It’s yours so it’s up to you.

Yes but the cost of the parts would be more than what I paid for the Honda. If someone wants to give me the money to fix the onan or even buy the whole tractor I’d be fine with that but since nobody will do that I’m just gonna engine swap it. I don’t really care about the rarity I just want to use it as a worker. Plus there are many more better examples of 520-8s out there. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Bens vintage tractors

Figured someone may be interested in the serial number.

B17F6C8F-038A-4228-AFCE-27F033A8308A.jpeg

Bens vintage tractors
39 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

And also you saying it won’t be special just because it doesn’t have an onan doesn’t make any sense the reason these are cool is because it’s a 500 series with an 8 speed not because it’s a 500 series with an onan. 

• Like 1

Lee1977

Buying a replacement kit takes all the fun out of repower.  I checked Small Engine Warehouse back when I repowered my C-120.  They listed that they didn't have a replacement for it. I put a 16 HP Vanguard in there.

Then later a !8 HP Vanguard. there is no extra room it takes it all.  My advice is to buy and engine complete with key switch in the engine and a 1 1/8" PTO shaft.  I didn't get the 1 1/8" shaft as I had already solved the problem 

on the 16 Vanguard. The Vanguard are smaller then Kohler or Honda I checked all the dimensions before buying the Vanguard. The 27 Vanguard is a big block engine compared to the 18 and 23  Don't know how that will fit on a

SAM-1222.jpg

SAM-1223.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Bens vintage tractors
2 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Buying a replacement kit takes all the fun out of repower.  I checked Small Engine Warehouse back when I repowered my C-120.  They listed that they didn't have a replacement for it. I put a 16 HP Vanguard in there.

Then later a !8 HP Vanguard. there is no extra room it takes it all.  My advice is to buy and engine complete with key switch in the engine and a 1 1/8" PTO shaft.  I didn't get the 1 1/8" shaft as I had already solved the problem 

on the 16 Vanguard. The Vanguard are smaller then Kohler or Honda I checked all the dimensions before buying the Vanguard. The 27 Vanguard is a big block engine compared to the 18 and 23  Don't know how that will fit on a

SAM-1222.jpg

SAM-1223.jpg

I agree I’d never buy a kid to repower a tractor. I have repowered well over 100 machines in the decade I’ve been collecting. I love repowering and making tractors custom and 1 of a kind. Also love the look of the vanny in that c120! 

• Like 2

Bens vintage tractors
13 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I understand both sides of the discussion on this thread. I love repowering these tractors as well. It is a challenge, and has great rewards when you make them work. I also understand the desire to preserve these tractors as they were originally built, as there will never be any of them except what we have now, and more dissapear every day.

I personally think it more important to find the best way that works for you to continue enjoying these tractors. If that is meticulous restoration to the tiniest of details, that is great. If it is to keep them doing what they were built for as long as possible by any means, that works too.

Try as I might, not one tractor I have is all original. I don't even have one that was restored to original specs. Some have come close, but none were perfect. I simply do not have access to such machines here. But I can put my own twist on them and possibly even make the rare improvement. They do after all belong to me, so I will enjoy them the way I want to. I think that is the best part of having them. 

Well said!!    

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Looks right at home. 

Any fitment issues??

Bens vintage tractors
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks right at home. 

Any fitment issues??

Nope gonna fit like a glove. I actually thought the Honda was much bigger than it is lol. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rjg854
11 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks right at home. 

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 4

kpinnc

Looks great on there! I hope it works just as good as it looks!

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
12 hours ago, Bens vintage tractors said:

Engines sitting on the chassis. Getting ready to mount it tomorrow.

Looking like an ideal re-power decision there.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Looks great!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WheelhorseBob

Have to admit it looks very nice! Can you get the gauges working?

• Like 1

Sparky

What was the Honda originally mounted in or to? Was it a generator? Wondering what the 5000 decal references 

Bens vintage tractors
On 9/20/2021 at 8:02 PM, WheelhorseBob said:

Have to admit it looks very nice! Can you get the gauges working?

I’m going to give it a shot down the road. I’d like at least the gas gauge to work. 

• Like 2