Esbrian

42" rear discharge deck breaking springs

daveoman1966

I am in n/w PA...40 m south of Lake Erie.  This is a 42" rear disch deck shell in fair condition. Outer shell isn't badly rusted and only one hole punched thru it...made by a chipping hammer or something.  Under-side baffles are gone.  WYSIWYG.  $100 bux (obo) ...come a get it.  NOTE...this is the style of 05-42XR01 and...by trimming down front bracket & rear bracket off---becomes style of 05-42MR01. Very easy to do with die grinder or Sawzall.

05-42XR01 (3).JPG

42R (1).JPG

42R (3).JPG

42R (4).JPG

42R (5).JPG

Ed Kennell
6 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

Details Ed?  I should know who Mac is at this point, but I don't.  Who is he, and where does he usually set up?

I don't know Macs last name. He is from NE PeeAaa an sets up next to me on the knoll at the left of the barns.    He always has 3-5 rebuilt decks and they look great.

• Thanks 1

tunahead72

Got it, thanks!  I've seen those decks on display there several years, just never took the time to check them out carefully.  Thanks for the info! :text-thankyouyellow:

• Like 1

Esbrian
12 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Esbrian , Brian , the pictures of the deck show significant wear and metal loss , while you can replace those areas , that is a lot of work , just to start on the spindle / pulley rebuild. my experience says find a more stable rot free deck , to refit. on a past deal , I  gave the buyer an old deck like yours , he was glad to get it , I  was glad to loose it . only the formed corners of an old deck , unless rotted out , are worth saving . if you are intent on rebuilding that deck , totally strip it out , and refit new steel , overall. then go about spindle rebuilding , etc. my vote is find a better deck with no rot , done a few of those . your decision, pete   

Pete, i think you misunderstood - i have different side discharge deck that needs some work but less than my rd. It isnt currently usable due to the rear wheel bracket connection point rusting out, but i believe it to be otherwise mostly solid.

My rear discharge (the subject of the original post) is rotted out at a compound curve and thin/cracked at the center spindle.

When/where is the big show?

rjg854

Biglerville Pa., the weekend after Father's day in June.  

peter lena
11 hours ago, Esbrian said:

Pete, i think you misunderstood - i have different side discharge deck that needs some work but less than my rd. It isnt currently usable due to the rear wheel bracket connection point rusting out, but i believe it to be otherwise mostly solid.

My rear discharge (the subject of the original post) is rotted out at a compound curve and thin/cracked at the center spindle.

When/where is the big show?

peter lena

@Esbrian  contact  @Ed Kennell  for the show details, its in Biglerville  pa , in june. another thing you might start doing  is to regularly clean your stuff out and spray lubricate  down the rusty crusty hidden areas, also get some hot sun on them to enhance the soaking / drying effect of oil lubrication to metal . since doing this I  do not have any rot areas , just an idea, pete

• Like 1

Esbrian

Bought a new (old) 42" rd deck, swapped a spindle assembly or two and, surprise surprise, it doesnt break springs every 10 minutes of mowing.  Old one must have been pretty wonky.  What a joy it is to just hop on the tractor and get some work done!

• Like 1