D_Mac

My Little Pony

ebinmaine

Awesome. Nice find sir. 

• Thanks 1

D_Mac
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Awesome. Nice find sir. 

It found me. It should clean up nice. Can't wait to see it in the day light. Looks like you have to take the steering wheel off to take the hood off. Here I thought Wheel Horse made things easy to work on. Who designed that !!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

gwest_ca

• Thanks 1

Handy Don
53 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

It found me. It should clean up nice. Can't wait to see it in the day light. Looks like you have to take the steering wheel off to take the hood off. Here I thought Wheel Horse made things easy to work on. Who designed that !!!

Yeah, the steering wheel does have to come off, BUT it is on there with a clevis pin and hairpin clip, not a roll pin and no spline or keyway. Dead easy to remove. Bonus to you is that the knurled cap screws that hold the hood on top are still there and even the grommet around the fuel filler.

This being the electric start version, there is no solenoid (unless someone added it later) so the ignition switch carries the high starter current. Frankly, mine started on the third pull with the rope start before any work on the carb/fuel system and I'm seriously considering using it that way only--to be able to drive it you have to be able to start it.

BTW, that extra hole above the ignition switch? On the pull start models that held the run/stop switch and the key ignition switch was empty.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

I noticed there is a hole in the dash above the key switch. Not sure what was or should be there. Not sure if the key switch is original. There is gas in the tank. I will drain it out and see if I can't get it to pop tomorrow. I'm happy with it, should be a fun little machine for him to cruise around on.

• Like 2

D_Mac

Well I got up early this morning to check out my new little pony. The cables are all messed up and don't move when you push or pull them. I did get it running. Ran for like 5 mins. I gave it a wipe down, was covered in mud. Now it won't start. Same thing happened on the 500 Special. I didn't look into it. Just put it away. Have Dr. Appointment today and don't want to upset myself any further.

• Like 1

Handy Don

It'll still be there when you get back to it and with some tweaking, I'm sure it'll run just fine. Good luck today.

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Thank you. Going to see the Dr today about my kidney cancer. I should know the game plan when I leave there today. My 2 other Dr's passed me off to this guy. This will be my 3rd time kicking cancers a$$. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

Pullstart
27 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

This will be my 3rd time kicking cancers a$$. 

It sure will be!  💪 

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

oldlineman

Praying for your full recovery and many more years playing with tractors! Bob

• Like 1

squonk

I had nothing to do with said Tecky. I cannot put a whammy on an engine over the phone! :)

• Haha 3

rjg854
6 minutes ago, squonk said:

I cannot put a whammy on an engine over the phone! :)

I don't know, Mike, the force is strong with you :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ZXT

Hope all went well today!

Good looking new project.

• Like 1

D_Mac

Well got it running. The linkage for the throttle and choke are messed up. Think some parts are missing. Also grinds a bit putting it in gear. I will go through it all soon. Still need to check out the starter. Got most of the mud off. Debating on if I want to repaint it. The color is more orangey brown then red. Not sure with my health if I can get it all done before weather gets bad. I have to do all my work in the driveway as garage is full. The Dr wants to do biopsy. I was told by a different Dr that he wouldn't biopsy it he would just remove it because of my history. So I am waiting for a call tomorrow to give me the date. CT scan, MRI, and ultrasound isn't enough apparently. If anyone has a tractor like this one and can share a photo of the linkage for choke and throttle I'd like to see.

20210914_181857.jpg

20210914_181818.jpg

20210914_181809.jpg

• Like 2

kpinnc

A great feeling is seeing a red hood in the rear view!

Nice Ranger!

Snoopy11
On 9/13/2021 at 8:14 PM, D_Mac said:

I just got home with this. I been wanting to fix one up for my 9 yr old nephew. I need to do it in a hurry as I will be going in hospital soon for my 3rd battle with cancer.

:wh: image.jpeg.8b4de4b496eae5a4329777d6efb7ef5b.jpeg :wh:

we-are-not-worthy.gif.3e4b78a4fdbed7284af7bf09a3c161d2.gif

God bless you! You will be in my prayers. 

Gosh... tears in my eyes... need tissues bad...

Don

• Thanks 1

Snoopy11
On 9/14/2021 at 11:49 AM, D_Mac said:

Going to see the Dr today about my kidney cancer.

My father had kidney cancer. They removed one of his kidneys...

Old man is still going strong though! 

Cancer is hard on the patient, as well as the family. Never felt fear like that prior to having someone diagnosed with cancer in the family. 

Again, my prayers go out to you!

Don

• Thanks 1

Handy Don
16 hours ago, D_Mac said:

share a photo of the linkage for choke and throttle I'd like to see

I've got mine apart right now, but plan on reassembling it this afternoon so will post a shot of that then!

This is now.Choke cable on top, throttle below.

Idle speed control screw is at lower left below the clamp that holds the cable sheath. You can see the link from the governor input to the carb throttle loose in front of the intake port.

image.png.3db15b989f6a6efc12b5c7edaddf3b97.png

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher

D_mac there is on F-book in market place under W-H a guy makes new seats for pan set up`s

180912378_10223490875967357_5204713384750617087_n.jpg

Edited by Retierd Wrencher
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

image.png.b10eac4a13f31a1b32af76c2121eb309.png

Choke cable at top, Throttle bottom left. Spring between throttle arm (there is only one hole on my setup) and throttle top plate. Governor rod to hole closest to engine when throttle is in idle position and in outermost hole on governor arm. On mine, the governor arm is held by a hex head screw to the governor mechanism and that arm angles away from the carb by about 10º.

When the throttle knob is pulled out, the spring tightens and pulls against the governor and pulls the throttle plate open.

Note that small Tecumseh's will overrev very easily so use a tach to keep the no-load full speed at 3600 rpm by dialing that screw you can see against the muffler to limit the rotation of the throttle lever -- that's the top speed max adjustor.

D_Mac

Thanks @Handy Don. I went out there and reconnected the cables like in your photo. Got them both working. Each cable is a mile to long and will need to be shortened. So I took it for a cruise ! Little thing runs good. I have to adjust the high speed mixture on the carb a little. I also need to adjust the clutch if anyone can help me with that. Grinds when I try to put it in gear. Brakes work fine but not the clutch. I really want to repaint it but I am not sure if I want to tackle such a big job right now. The color is awful. Its not red, its not brown, its not orange, its all 3 !! Well at least it isnt GREEN !

Handy Don
11 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Each cable is a mile to long

Funny, my choke cable is just barely long enough!

What I've learned is that if pulling the throttle to full does not bring the engine speed up, then rotating that governor arm a bit farther from the carb (using that hex head screw) will add a bit to the top end. Do this in small increments of just a couple degrees at a time. Remember that when the throttle is fully pulled out and the engine is lugged down, the governor will apply more throttle--you don't want that to open the throttle excessively.

I went to test load this by driving up a steep incline in my yard--I have the snowplow hanging off the front to weight it down. It was working just as I expected until halfway up the thing stalled out! I'd put in only a couple cups of gas and with the steepness of the slope, it wasn't getting out of the tank! 

Also, while adjusting the carb I noticed some puffing out of the side of the head. The head bolts were not all tight! (Gotta fully remove and put it back with even tightening and a new gasket.) The other puffing was that part of the exhaust gasket is missing. Lots of things still on the "to do" list for this one but it runs and drives, so it'll come around.

Grinding gears is a strong indicator that the drive belt is not being stopped from turning when the clutch pedal is depressed. That means the input shaft on the transmission is still turning. Usual causes are a too-tight belt, or not having the metal rod "guides" at the engine near the crankshaft (these rub on a slack belt to stop/slow it), or a missing or maladjusted "belt brake" flange on the clutch pulley (also to rub the slack belt to stop it from turning).

Edited by Handy Don
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

Tested the electric start today. It cranks the engine over but didn't start it. One pull on the rope it fired right up. Then I used it to cut the grass in the front yard. Did a really nice job.. Spent the rest of the morning painting the wheels.

20210917_130121.jpg

20210917_130034.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 2

Moparfanforever

Sharp looking little tractor !!