DaBears1

In need of help

DaBears1

Changed drive belt had no lift or lower. Noticed came off lever as pin was missing smelled burning heard a pop while moving it down. Now have no movement at all also no forward or reverse. All started with a belt change. This is my mother in laws mower, I am just learning about them. Obviously not fast enough. Any help would be appreciated. I think the lever up and down and the transmission are 2 very separate issues. I did find a looks to be a spring and pin flopping around near rear discharge side tire. I believe this to be my forward reverse issue but again I don’t know much about these

953 nut

:WRS:

8 minutes ago, DaBears1 said:

I did find a looks to be a spring and pin flopping around near rear discharge side tire. I believe this to be my forward reverse issue but again I don’t know much about these

Some pictures may be helpful.

8ntruck

It sounds like the linkage and spring came apart on the clutch for the drive belt between the engine and hydraulic transmission pump.  No clutch would prevent the tractor from moving at all, and since the transmission pump also runs the lift cylinder, it won't be working either.  The fix for this should not be too bad.

As 953 nut says, a picture would be helpful.  When you put the new belt on, did you route it under the idler pulley?

Also, :text-welcomeconfetti:to the forum.  Lots of good folks here.  Whatever you run across on a Wheel Horse, somebody here has probably broken and fixed the same thing.

Good luck.

DaBears1

6AF9FA2C-8F48-4113-8A81-2CA3012ED0BE.jpeg.00100374c7c0d18327e24dbcf4891fc6.jpeg

B71C3402-F948-40B6-A53D-F49AB7CC654A.jpeg

ADE94CDB-6298-4325-94EC-50B6AF06C600.jpeg

DaBears1

Yes was routed under the idler pulley, had been taking it to a local shop and after reading some of the threads here I realized they were putting it on wrong pulley. So then we started looking at more threads on here and trying to learn. I appreciate any and all help. 

8ntruck

What model is the tractor?   

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Pullstart
12 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

What model is the tractor?   

“favorite model” listed in profile is a 520H.  Maybe that?  :text-welcomeconfetti: @DaBears1!

8ntruck

I've never worked on a 520H, so I am just expressing opinion now.

The pictures look like brake linkage, which is usually on the right side of the tractor.  The drive belt between the engine and transmission is on the left side of the tractor. 

It sounds like something has gone wrong in the lever, linkage, spring, or idler pulley that applies pressure to the drive belt for clutching action.  You might want to remove the drive belt cover to see what is going on.

Skipper

Unless I got it all wrong, the drivebelt is on the right side. ?  Always sit in the seat when you talk sides on a tractor, my granddad thought me :-) Hope that still applies, or I have said a lot of BS for a long time now :D

What we are looking at on the pics, is the brake linkage, up under the dames skirt ( fender pan ) left side. Taken from in front of rear wheel. Looks identical to what's on all the hydro trans tractors I have had apart, from c1x5's to 520's etc. Fender pan looks a lot like a classic type, so 520 may be a good bet.

Off with the drive belt cover (other side than pictures are from), and lets see what's going on. Should be a simple fix.

My bet is also on a belt issue on the drive belt. The one that runs from engine to transmission. That explains all your problems. Cover is the side panel, next to your right leg, and it comes off with a few screws and bolts. 2 on top, next to you right leg, one in the middle down low on the cover, next to your foot, and one on top up close to the engine, and one on the under sider of the cover, in front of your foot.

Edited by Skipper
  • Thanks 1

DaBears1
23 hours ago, DaBears1 said:

Changed drive belt had no lift or lower. Noticed came off lever as pin was missing smelled burning heard a pop while moving it down. Now have no movement at all also no forward or reverse. All started with a belt change. This is my mother in laws mower, I am just learning about them. Obviously not fast enough. Any help would be appreciated. I think the lever up and down and the transmission are 2 very separate issues. I did find a looks to be a spring and pin flopping around near rear discharge side tire. I believe this to be my forward reverse issue but again I don’t know much about these

Skipper

Yes I saw that, but it is a very unclear explanation. We need to see it to help you out right. Or a more precise description.

13 minutes ago, DaBears1 said:

Noticed came off lever as pin was missing smelled burning heard a pop while moving it down.

What pin, What lever, What smell (rubber, oil, or?), pop from engine or belt or mowerdeck or ?

Also do check the oil level in transmission, and please confirm that engine is running fine, and that no oil is coming out in bad places.

Also see if the drivebelt is moving along as engine turns. If not, you have your problem there for sure. ( is the fan spinning under your right butt cheek )

Edited by Skipper

DaBears1

Ok sorry for the lack of clarity, as I said I’m learning🤣 first belt replaced was mower deck drive belt. Further inspection today realized engine drive belt is no good. What is easiest way to change? Remove back tire and fan or front pulley assembly or neither( best option)71136348-8990-40DD-A427-B1FB88D24DB2.jpeg.96cd3187a741e69be1e025e0bbc7d92e.jpeg

1D9F1083-91F5-4AA6-8DBE-D30497CC26F7.jpeg

37B3A346-47B4-479D-B144-EECF8FD00CF8.jpeg

5AD6369D-64DB-4423-B068-4F07F6AD5F8C.jpeg

DaBears1

Also if anyone knows the belt no. From tractor supply that would be great. Since that is about all we have here

Skipper

What model tractor?

Also as described above, take off the side panel, and then perhaps the footrest if you need more room to work on, and you should be able to see how to do the rest. Belt should be possible to slip on without removing wheel. On the engine end, snap off the curved rod over the clutch, and put the belt on. Otherwise, again, model of tractor info. Can't help you much without knowing what we are dealing with here. 

IF it's a 520H as we have tried guessing, the belt is a: 5/8 - 83" / 5L830 / B80 / Toro: 114895. Any belt place can find you a replacement from that :-)

While you are in there, you might want to clear out the cooling ribs on the hydro, and make sure the fan blade are intact and OK. It likes having good airflow (and cooling), especially in hot climates.

If you take just very basic care of it, it can outlast you :-)

Edited by Skipper

DaBears1

Also if anyone knows the belt no. From tractor supply that would be great. Since that is about all we have here

DaBears1

Yes it is a 520h, I keep thinking I mentioned that. I had only changed the mower drive belt. I had no idea there was a 3rd belt until I found this group. Yes I understand the need to take basic care of it. I’m working on getting there. This is my MIL mower. She is 81 with 3 acres to mow. I have just started this mower journey for her. We will get it back to above avg. with this groups help

• Like 1

lynnmor

Remove the right rear tire and the vertical panel above the right floor board.  You can then inspect the idler pulley and spring, plus do some cleaning.  Download the owners manual and parts manual from the manuals section of this website.

DaBears1

Have removed the side panel air hosed all the debris out, idler pulley, spring and fan all are in good working order. Some rust but everything spinning without the wobbles

DaBears1

Spring also rust, but seems to have good tension as I had to really push on it to get the belt loose

Skipper

Sounds good. Then off to get a new belt. All the numbers you need is in above post. Both WH/Toro number, and the universal belt designations. But, TSC will call it a B80K (K for Kevlar). It is a wrapped blue belt, and it is perfectly fine. Go for it.

Lets know how it went :-) 

Edited by Skipper

DaBears1

Thank you all for your help, I will keep you posted. Also be back for next fix no doibt