FrankinWNY

Kohler K-241 charging system

FrankinWNY

I have a Kohler engine with the wire coming from the Stator having 3 wires two for charging, one for ground. When I put a meter across the two from the stator I get 12.5 volts at idle 34-40 volts at 3200 rpm. There is what looks like a resister on the black wire nothing in the yellow. The third wire is from the ground. The plug at the end of the wires does not fit any regulator/rectifier I have seen. In the manual I have it’s listed as a stand alone regulator/rectifier #14. I can’t find a diagram to show me where/ how to connect for charging the battery. Also my 310-8 ignition switch has only 5 positions not 6 as the wiring diagram shows. I tried a rectifier from a M12 running a separate wire from the b+ and it blows the main fuse as soon as I turn on the switch.  

pfrederi

Usually two of the wires coming from the engine will be white.  The would carry AC from the stator.  The voltage you read was AC or DC???  (Should have been AC if so you readings are in spec.)

If however you have a 3 amp unregulated system (which I suspect).  One wire will have varying AC voltage to run a lighting circuit.  The other will have a diode in it  (what you saw as a resister) to convert AC to DC to feed the battery.  Third wire should be going to the coil providing 12v dc to run ignition.  The wire with the diode goes to the R terminal on the switch.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

What is the spec number on the engine decal?

What looks like a resistor is likely a diode to rectify one side of the stator to charge the battery.

The other wire likely goes directly to the light switch.

Be careful with the 3rd wire. It likely goes to the ignition module and if it sees any voltage it will burn up the coil.

This does not have a voltage regulator if you have what I think you have.

• Like 1

pfrederi
2 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

What is the spec number on the engine decal?

What looks like a resistor is likely a diode to rectify one side of the stator to charge the battery.

The other wire likely goes directly to the light switch.

Be careful with the 3rd wire. It likely goes to the ignition module and if it sees any voltage it will burn up the coil.

This does not have a voltage regulator if you have what I think you have.

Good point Gary. He may have a magneto igniting (or even Breakeless)

953 nut

Kohler K-241 charging system

Are you sure the engine is a K-241? Could it be you have a 10 HP Magnum? Do you have ignition components that look like either of these?

1138979948_Screenshot(20).png.68055ac6d271e330fdd0a55f7e50ff4e.png

Gregor

Is this on a tractor?  What tractor?  Spec number on motor?

Edited by Gregor

FrankinWNY

Thanks for your advise. The motor is not original to the tractor it is a battery ignition. I ran a wire from the diode wire to the battery I now get from 13 volts to 16. At low speed it varies never steady. From 15 to 18 at 3400 rpm. I am not running lights so did not connect the yellow wire. I still don’t understand what the third wire which is grounded to the aluminum plate behind the flywheel. I have worked on many of these engines from the K-161s thru the K-341s never have I seen this wire. It starts and runs normal the key switch now is just 3 wires, B, I, & S. F797853B-5BBF-44B3-A05F-AA638F2888A1.jpeg.9410f4d41830482e95b5a6d387a71fae.jpeg

FrankinWNY
11 hours ago, Gregor said:

Is this on a tractor?  What tractor?  Spec number on motor?

310-8 not original motor K-241 spec 46849

FrankinWNY
On 9/13/2021 at 11:10 AM, pfrederi said:

Good point Gary. He may have a magneto igniting (or even Breakeless)

Spec 46849

gwest_ca

Have never been able to find an illustrated parts list for the K241-46849 but it is listed as the original engine in 1985 310-8 model 21-10K801.

Kohler made serial number 15042070 in 1985.

Gregor

I am not familiar with the 310-8. Does the white wire look to be original, or added on? Maybe another member with a 310-8 tractor will chime in, describing what is on their tractor.

Note the tractor model numbers at bottom of diagrams.

Edited by Gregor