Oldskool

Atomic Babe

Oldskool

@Herder I had some time. I haven't gone back to get the rear tires and wheels yet but they are safe. 

I can't seem to find any numbers on the frame anywhere.

The emblem on the gas tank is an interesting piece.

20210913_180830.jpg

20210913_183247.jpg

20210913_191931.jpg

20210913_191954.jpg

Edited by Oldskool

Oldskool

A bit of a walk around

20210913_192018.jpg

20210913_192024.jpg

20210913_192030.jpg

20210913_192059.jpg

20210913_192137.jpg

• Like 2

Oldskool

Rest of the way round

20210913_192146.jpg

20210913_192155.jpg

20210913_192344.jpg

20210913_192434.jpg

20210913_192503.jpg

20210913_192526.jpg

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Mike. Buddy. I think yer tractor's sexy...

• Like 1

Oldskool
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Mike. Buddy. I think yer tractor's sexy...

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Dude I just dang near choked on my apple pie.

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Dude I just dang near choked on my apple pie.

:ROTF:

My work is done now.....

• Haha 1

Handy Don

She looked downright forlorn in the first picture. Out there in the rain by herself, and all. Very glad you adopted her to bring home!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool
8 hours ago, Handy Don said:

She looked downright forlorn in the first picture. Out there in the rain by herself, and all. Very glad you adopted her to bring home!

Thanks Don. She needed a good home.  I do wish it had electric start though. The hand crank start is kicking my butt.

• Haha 2

Handy Don
4 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Thanks Don. She needed a good home.  I do wish it had electric start though. The hand crank start is kicking my butt.

I'm sure you'll think of something. :)

When I was wrenching for a kart racer (in my youth), we had a car starter motor with a pipe crossbar handle and a rubber donut on the shaft that we pressed against the kart engine's flywheel screen to spin it (when tuned for racing, they had to spin pretty fast before they'd fire up).

• Like 1

Oldskool
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I'm sure you'll think of something. :)

When I was wrenching for a kart racer (in my youth), we had a car starter motor with a pipe crossbar handle and a rubber donut on the shaft that we pressed against the kart engine's flywheel screen to spin it (when tuned for racing, they had to spin pretty fast before they'd fire up).

I did notice there are provisions for electric start. If I was lucky enough to find the parts I would be set.

Lee1977

I think that is the new thing about ordering on line have had it to happen twice lately. You need the parts and they add one or two extera to the order before email back. 

It's two much trouble to try to straighten it out and delay the parts you need so you just let it go.

• Like 1

diesel cowboy
On 9/13/2021 at 6:11 PM, Oldskool said:

Anyone with some insight on the wisconsin 2 cyl magneto?

20210913_180830.jpg

What kind of insight on the magneto are you looking for?  I've done work on a few different types of mags over the years

• Like 1

diesel cowboy

Hit the post button twice by accident 

Edited by diesel cowboy
  • Like 2

Oldskool
6 hours ago, diesel cowboy said:

What kind of insight on the magneto are you looking for?  I've done work on a few different types of mags over the years

Well I believe the mag is the wrong one. I think the correct one is made with 2 wires on top. That's to fire both cylinders at the same time. Both pistons are at TDC at the same time but different cycles. I guess one spark is wasted on the exhaust stroke of one cylinder. Is there a way to convert what I have to work correctly. Or maybe change to external coils using the points from the mag to activate, or maybe use one plug wire from the mag to run to a bridge connected to both spark plugs?

diesel cowboy

That might be the right mag with the wrong cap on it.  Have to get the numbers off the mag to make sure. 

This mag isn't like the ones on the small engines on lawn mowers where both fire at the same time.  It's like a distributor in a car where it fires each individually so there's no wasted spark.  If you take the cap off with the 2 screws there's a rotor underneath and behind that a set of points and condenser. 

It should work with the cap on it.  I've seen a bunch of those Fairbanks mags that had 2, 4, and 6 spots for plug wires depending on what machine it was put on

• Like 2

Oldskool
38 minutes ago, diesel cowboy said:

That might be the right mag with the wrong cap on it.  Have to get the numbers off the mag to make sure. 

This mag isn't like the ones on the small engines on lawn mowers where both fire at the same time.  It's like a distributor in a car where it fires each individually so there's no wasted spark.  If you take the cap off with the 2 screws there's a rotor underneath and behind that a set of points and condenser. 

It should work with the cap on it.  I've seen a bunch of those Fairbanks mags that had 2, 4, and 6 spots for plug wires depending on what machine it was put on

It does have a rotor button. I can get numbers sometime tomorrow. If you have a way to verify it's the correct one that would be great. If it is correct, then there is a possibility it may be out of time?

• Like 1

diesel cowboy

Here's a site that gives the Wisconsin engine # to which Fairbanks mag. # it should have.  https://www.wisconsinmotorscanada.ca/wfmidentwiscfm.html

It's possible that even if it's the wrong one the mag will still work and the plug wires are wrong putting it out of time.  The wires might need to be side by side instead of opposite each other on the cap.  If that's the case then it would be to put #1 at tdc on compression and take the cap off to see where the rotor is and put the #1 plug wire there and then put the other wire on the next one in the direction of the mag rotation, which should be reverse of the engine and see if that makes it run.

• Excellent 2

Oldskool
8 hours ago, diesel cowboy said:

Here's a site that gives the Wisconsin engine # to which Fairbanks mag. # it should have.  https://www.wisconsinmotorscanada.ca/wfmidentwiscfm.html

It's possible that even if it's the wrong one the mag will still work and the plug wires are wrong putting it out of time.  The wires might need to be side by side instead of opposite each other on the cap.  If that's the case then it would be to put #1 at tdc on compression and take the cap off to see where the rotor is and put the #1 plug wire there and then put the other wire on the next one in the direction of the mag rotation, which should be reverse of the engine and see if that makes it run.

I checked the numbers this morning. The mag is for the 2cyl. I think the other model 2 cyl but like you said it may still work. This afternoon I will check the TDC on the piston verses position of the rotor on each cylinder. 

Thanks for the info. It's been a big help

• Like 3

Oldskool

Well.... it still hasn't started yet.

No.1 cyl TDC on compression stroke.

Mag removed.

X marked tooth of mag in  lower half of the sight hole.

By this point I also pulled the mag cap off to inspect the rotor button. The rotor was pointing 90 degree from where the wires were so I moved No.1 wire in line with the rotor then moved No.2 wire 180 from there.

I'm missing something. Blinded by frustration I think.

ebinmaine
39 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Blinded by frustration I think.

Been known t' happen bub. 

Walk away. Sleep a bit. Try again tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Oldskool
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Been known t' happen bub. 

Walk away. Sleep a bit. Try again 

It's hard to let it go.  It's just bugging the crap out of me.

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

It's hard to let it go.  It's just bugging the crap out of me.

Yessir. Absolutely understandable.  

• Like 1

diesel cowboy

It sounds weird but put the #2 wire right next to the #1 wire in the direction of the mag rotation, not 180 from it.  Never understood how it works but some of them are set up like that. This is probably one of them

• Like 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, diesel cowboy said:

It sounds weird but put the #2 wire right next to the #1 wire in the direction of the mag rotation, not 180 from it.  Never understood how it works but some of them are set up like that. This is probably one of them

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. I'm going to recheck everything again just before swapping that wire. Might even try another set of plugs 

• Like 1

Oldskool

It's not to often I say this but.....I think I give up. This Wisconsin has won. I have tried everything once,twice probably 3 times. It's has fire,gas and compression. I know it has got to be a timing issue but I'm just not seeing it. It maybe a 2 cyl., I even tried narrowing it down to just getting it to run on 1 cylinder. Still no go.😔😔

Stuck between a rock and a hard place. At this moment I refuse to repower it. It just ain't right. 

• Like 1