Shuboxlover

520xi question

Shuboxlover

Just brought home my first 520xi I've ever had. It has 760 hours on it, is in pretty descent shape and came with a really nice 60" deck,

The motor runs great but the hydro has an issue I think.  When you press the foot pedal, it will go full speed then slow down, then speed up over and over again surging.

Is this the classic sign of a weak hydro pump, or is there something else easier I should start with?

Thanks in advance

20210828_103840_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Pullstart

Welcome to the Xi club!  These machines have smart steer, where when turning it slows down.  Are you going in a straight line when this happens, or turning?  The smart steer linkage is a pivot off the bottom of the steering shaft on the right side.  It moves a rod forward/backward and controls the transmission’s overall speed.  It would be wise to get familiar with that system to rule it out.

I’m not saying this is or is not your issue, but it might have something to do with it.

• Like 1

Pullstart

It would be a great idea to lift the front end of the tractor by the frame and inspect your axle pivot too!  Here’s my instructional thread on that topic…

• Like 1

Shuboxlover

Thanks for the info.   I was unaware of the smart steer feature,  that is good to know!!!  However,  this "surges" even when going straight. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

Have you checked the fluid level or changed the filter by chance?

• Like 1

JoeM
23 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Have you checked the fluid level or changed the filter by chance?

Is the oil clean looking, thickish, discolored, (put it on a white paper towel from the dipstick), 

That is the big one, and when under the machine changing the filter check the hydro oil intake hose to make sure it is not smashed or compromised.

Make sure the smart steer is okay, or disconnected.

Does it do it in reverse too? Does it do it in low range?

Does the hydro need a long warm up before it will move when first started. Might need to check charge pressure. 

Strange or loud hydro noise. 

Is the brake dragging at times? Or is to tight

I would run it on jack stands and see what happens.  

I went to HYTran fluid inplace of motor oil, it is cheaper and has better shear performance with the correct additive package. It is 10W30 weight hydro oil. 

I have switched out an xi hydro with an eaton 11 from a 520H and it works great other than you have to remove the charge pump to use the fitting from the xi intake hose. At the time I did not want to remove the charge pump so I just cut the 520 steel tube just below the pump and slide the hose on it using a breeze band. the one machine I had slowed down on the hill when the oil got hot. (Ran okay on the flat) 

Just some thoughts. Let us know.

• Like 1

Shuboxlover

Wow, all of this is great.  I'll try to check all of this hopefully tomorrow night.  I do know that the fluid is full and very clean, looks like it just got changed,  maybe the P.O. changed it hoping it would solve the problem.  I do not know about the filter though.  I'll have to yank that big beast of a deck off and climb under it to inspect.

It does surge in reverse, don't know about in low though, have to test.  It does not need warmed up to move nor does it seem to get worse when warm.

How do you disable the smart steer?

Regards

Pullstart
25 minutes ago, Shuboxlover said:

There is or used to be a bolt in kit.  If you look at it, you can see how to disconnect the linkage from the steering, with the removal of the right side tins and the right rear air screen.  I drilled a hole in the frame and moved the linkage (2-3” long maybe?) 90 degrees and bolted it in place.  I think @JoeM removed the linkages all together and disabled it at the transmission in a similar fashion.

Pullstart
28 minutes ago, Shuboxlover said:

that big beast of a deck

even more reason to take a look at that axle pivot.  As monsterous as this frame is, it’s a terrible pivot pin design in my own opinion.

JoeM

3 hours ago, pullstart said:

you can see how to disconnect the linkage from the steering up front on top below drive shaft.

1195699544_Smartsteeringdisconncetpic3.jpg.dbd7490b4d88e9c95092e9414e9d6388.jpg

Smart Steer Hooked Up

1068123207_SmartSteerHookedup1.jpg.867a6e5a7d4bb92e2a217a820dcfd5e7.jpg

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

• Like 2

Shuboxlover

👍🏼

What's the difference between a 520xi and a 520lxi?

• Like 1

JoeM

LXI is liquid cooled with 20HP Kawasaki engine and power steering, 520xi no power steering air cooled kohler. 522xi same as 520 but has power steering. 

shallowwatersailor

Is the filter the correct transmission filter? Not an engine filter? The previous owner may have installed the wrong one which could be your problem as it may starve the pump. Should be either the Toro transmission filter or a NAPA 1410 if aftermarket. 

Check the linkage from pedal to transmission. I seem to recall here on Red Square someone having issues with the pedal.

Shuboxlover

great question,  I'll buy a new filter tomorrow and install,  and top it off.... just to rule that out... that's prob the cheapest/easiest way to go for now... I'll report back

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
On 8/31/2021 at 9:12 AM, Shuboxlover said:

I have never been a fan of disabling the Smart Steer. I kept it on all three for my former 5xi as I had a run of about 500 feet when mowing with a sharp 90 at the end. If had the cruise on with the Smart Steer, I didn't have to worry about rolling over. That is why it was installed on the 5xi.

• Like 1

Shuboxlover

If I get this thing running correctly, what is it worth with the 60 inch deck?

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Depends on your area plus it is getting close to the end of lawn cutting season. Some areas the 60 inch deck is a deterrent. Larger properties will like the 60 inch deck. Value is probably around $1,000-$1,400 given the hours and condition from the photo.

Shuboxlover

So I FINALLY had time to work on this thing.  I changed the hydro filter (I do think it was just an engine oil filter that was on there) and put fresh oil in the hydro.  I also disabled the smart steer. 

The tractor still does the surging thing.

Is it looking more like a bad hydro?

Thanks in advance

Tyson

• Like 1

Kevin H

I know you posted this a year ago, but I had this problem with mine.  The bolts holding the hydro to the frame were loose causing it to do exactly what you say.  If you look up under the rear fenders there are a couple of bolts to tighten.  The hydro linkage is very complicated and touchy, these loose bolts were the quick fix!!!!!!  Report back with results.

• Like 2