Mike Van Eman

RS-83 hasn't ran in >20 years

953 nut
10 hours ago, jtrosp1980 said:

I have a 1970 raider 10 that my dad bought long before a was even thought of it has set for at least 10 years I have oil on the blade it ran when it went in his shed what would I want to start to look at.

:WRS:

Please begin a new thread, your needs will get a lot more attention there. Just click on the link below and begin your own thread.   :text-thankyouyellow:

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/3-wheel-horse-tractors/?do=add

• Like 2

Pullstart

@Mike Van Eman, please forgive me for my ignorance on this thread!  :text-welcomeconfetti:  In the past year, I’ve been able to score an RS-83 for my wife, along with a Lever Steer for myself.  The Lever Steer had a stuck exhaust valve as well.  Because of your hood, it’s not so easy to remove the head.  I popped the head off “Jackie” the Lever Steer and simply twisted the exhaust valve with a little WD-40 on the stem and it returned to it’s home in a jiffy.  Best of luck getting that beautiful piece of history running!  Those tires, they are awesome.  The 3-12’s aren’t made any longer and I believe I’ve only seen one set of them in good shape, on @Shynon’s Senior.

Here’s a few pics of ours and a lineup of a handful of ‘em in Portage, WI as well.

963D40FE-C6B4-4A27-A5D9-183B3679D655.jpeg

563DB929-CA98-4DD5-B16A-20BE7CBB599F.jpeg

AA6C4CF3-5EB3-492E-98E6-E0EAEE71F148.jpeg

28744F0B-3A2E-43F2-BC4C-C763874D5C3B.jpeg

FEB95ACF-ED9D-42A2-8741-5BE3C1DBB860.jpeg

6E12B4CD-E431-4B41-9D07-A35FCEB435D5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

jtrosp1980

Just wondering ideas on what for rear tires would be good for plowing snow and a garden on my raider 10 without making modifications I have a different set for mowing 

rjg854

Put chains on a set of turfs for snow plowing. As for gardening someone else might have a good idea.

WHX??
1 hour ago, jtrosp1980 said:

Just wondering ideas on what for rear tires would be good for plowing snow and a garden on my raider 10 without making modifications I have a different set for mowing 

On 8/31/2021 at 7:11 AM, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

Please begin a new thread, your needs will get a lot more attention there. Just click on the link below and begin your own thread.   :text-thankyouyellow:

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/3-wheel-horse-tractors/?do=add

As Richard said ... 

• Like 2

Mike Van Eman

Hi Everyone, 

Fortunately I have a few friends that are pretty knowledgeable with engine work and we were able to get it running! here is a link to see it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16vVIIzYJ41QpxJplghn-frQd4Ot9RGCU/view?usp=sharing

The exhaust valve was stuck open. Both valves also weren't seating properly. We've gotten that corrected but are still having trouble with the carb specifically the main jet adjustment needle and main nozzle. All the rebuild kits I've come across so far don't seem to contain this needle so if anyone has any sources on where to get one I'd appreciate it. The model is Zenith L48AD 11595. I see that there is a replacement model 12522 that runs $300-$400 and if consensus here is to go that route I'll do that if needed. 

Also looking for a Fairbanks Morse X1B7E faceplate. This one has a slight crack. 

The video has a makeshift starter but the tractor is starting on one rope pull as of tonight. 

And finally here is the Wisconsin serial # for those that are interested: Serial# 2443691 spec 102703 Model AEN

Thanks again and take care,

Mike

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

AMC RULES

You'll have to give them a call, should be able to help with your needs. 

https://www.steinertractor.com/

Just type your needs into the search bar there at the top of the main page. 

https://antique-tractor-parts.steinertractor.com/search?w=zenith carburetor

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 3

Gregor

The Carburetor Doctor  Poke Here49328312_Screenshot2021-12-02at05-32-37Carburetorkitspartsandmanuals.png.ee8346b12ea9db3346d40459865359f9.png

• Like 2

WHX??

For the magneto Mike try giving this guy a jingle. 

http://www.rebuiltmags.com/

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

stevebo

Mike,

I have 3 seniors and each one had carb issues. I have tried to clean with some luck but when you take apart make sure you take the Venturi out of the carb as there is a passage that does not get cleaned behind there. It just slides out but looks like part of the casting. Keep an eye on eBay for nos carbs as they will pop up every now and again. New carb always does the trick! All three of mine now idle down to about 300rpm and just pur. Glade to see you getting that old girl going!! 👍

• Like 5

WHX??

I don't know if you have this Mike but will post it here for you and others.  ...a AEN manual.

Lowell gave me a document, if I can find it, that will date the engine. Kev @Pullstart has it too I think. 

AEN_AENL_AENS_instr_parts.pdf

A interesting piece of literature here. 

Wheel-Horse-Ride-Away-Sr-Brochure.pdf

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

Pullstart

Here is Lowell’s post on the date ciphering 

• Like 1

WHX??

Thanks Hosen I just saved them now to where I can find them! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Pullstart
10 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Thanks Hosen I just saved them now to where I can find them! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Until the next time you ask me… :teasing-neener:

• Haha 1

Gregor
20 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

to where I can find them!

I can usually find them if I remember I even have them. :unsure:

• Haha 1

Mike Van Eman

Thanks for this!

WheelHorse_of_course

Nice dog you have. Pretty awesome tractor too. I am happy to hear you've made so much progress. This is going to be a fun ride for you (in multiple ways)!

Edited by WheelHorse_of_course
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Mike Van Eman

Thank you on both! 

Mike Van Eman

Here it is running. Smokes a bit while it's in gear. Thanks to everyone for your help. 

• Excellent 6
  • Thanks 2

Mike Van Eman

• Excellent 5
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Mike Van Eman said:

Here it is running

NIIIIICE

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
39 minutes ago, Mike Van Eman said:

running

Only thing cooler than that would be if you mounted one of your modulated TC's on the hood!

Mike Van Eman

LOL That would be a sight 

• Haha 1

stevebo

Looks great! Smoke is probably the rings. Worth an engine rebuild as you should be able to still get nos piston for it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Awesome work!  We’ve had some smokers clean up after some run time and oil changes too.  When I saw the first chicken walking in the back, I thought you were being blessed by a walking bald eagle!

• Haha 2