Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

12 auto parking brake issues

Hodge71

:thumbs2: I was over my Dads yesterday and I cut the grass with his '73 12 Automatic. I parked it on the driveway which has a small grade to it and the parking brake doesnt hold. He said its been like that for over a year now and it couldnt be adjusted. Is he right? I find it hard to beleive that theres no adjustment to make this thing hold. Is there something in the tranny that needs to be adjusted or the lever itself it works well in all other aspects. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

CHARGER9AUTO

:thumbs: I was over my Dads yesterday and I cut the grass with his '73 12 Automatic. I parked it on the driveway which has a small grade to it and the parking brake doesnt hold. He said its been like that for over a year now and it couldnt be adjusted. Is he right? I find it hard to beleive that theres no adjustment to make this thing hold. Is there something in the tranny that needs to be adjusted or the lever itself it works well in all other aspects. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Jeff, On Dad's '73 12 AUTOMATIC's transmission the pawl must be worn out or broken from applying the parking brake and engaging it . maybe someone else can help you on this question . Ben :thumbs2:

Don1977

I think the replacement brake bands are longer than the original. When the brake is adjusted for stopping the tractor the parking brake will not work because the brake paw is behind the part that catches it. I took a good look at mine when I had it apart to paint

and tried to adjust it there was no way it would work.

oldandred

Don its a auto no band its inside the tranny