Sailman

16 HP added to the stable....wheee!

WheelhorseBob

Good luck with that. History may prove that to be one of the best horses ever!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Moparfanforever

That is one fine looking Horse !! And the deck looks pretty sharp !!

• Thanks 1

OutdoorEnvy

Awesome find!  That is the one most of us are after.  I like that it's 1985 too for the same reason you mentioned.  My 312 is a 1985 and after looking at others that have all those wires it's scary to think about sorting out an electrical issue...Anyways.  That deck looks in really good shape too!  Congrats on the find!  :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
6 hours ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

Awesome find!  That is the one most of us are after.  I like that it's 1985 too for the same reason you mentioned.  My 312 is a 1985 and after looking at others that have all those wires it's scary to think about sorting out an electrical issue...Anyways.  That deck looks in really good shape too!  Congrats on the find!  :thumbs:

Had a 1985 314-8, had the 8pinion 1 1/8 shaft transmission as original, after 1985 they had 4 pinions. 

No electric junk they are great machines and with a 16hp, ideal for plowing. Pretty much unstopable

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

AWESOME find. 

Love my Cinnamon Horse C160 and you'll love that Kohler K. 

Snow plowing or garden plowing?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher

Sailman: Great pick up. That should serve you well. Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WheelhorseBob
1 hour ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Had a 1985 314-8, had the 8pinion 1 1/8 shaft transmission as original, after 1985 they had 4 pinions. 

No electric junk they are great machines and with a 16hp, ideal for plowing. Pretty much unstopable

I hadn’t heard that about 1986 and newer. Went to the trusty Toro parts viewer which seems to suggest 8 pinions were used in 314-8’s long after 1985. At least it calls out 8 pinions for them. I’ll have to dig a little deeper to see what’s right as this is good to know when looking at different models.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
37 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

I hadn’t heard that about 1986 and newer. Went to the trusty Toro parts viewer which seems to suggest 8 pinions were used in 314-8’s long after 1985. At least it calls out 8 pinions for them. I’ll have to dig a little deeper to see what’s right as this is good to know when looking at different models.

Bob, @Maxwell-8 maybe more familiar with European specs.

I've only heard of 310 and 312 models having the 1" axles over here but I wouldn't be afraid of using them anyway. 

Pollack Pete

Real clean looking tractor and mower deck.You'll love that 16 horse Kohler.Have fun with your new toy.

• Like 2

peter lena

@Sailman great pick up on that ! that 16 single  is a beast , and without all the added idiot wiring issues . deck looks clean , only hope the bottom side looks half as good , if nothing else , flip that over give it a cleaning , and an aerosol  lubricant spray down exposed to hot sun to suck in the oil to metal , to save that deck . more info on that ?  just ask. another thing that I  have been using on my engines , is rislone zinc oil additive , that would be a big help in your baseline maintenance service. interested ? just ask . just looking at what you have , and my experience with similar , starting point ,  would also give that a simple aerosol lubricant clean cloth wipe down to save what you have , wipe it down till dry on all surfaces , days later do it again , paint should start to pop . would love to bring that back , questions ? , pete

• Like 1

D_Mac

You are going to love that one. I had a 416-8. Out of all the garden tractors I have ever owned I wish I could have that one back. Should have hung on to it. Mine had the 16hp Magnum. I ordered a custom set of decals and did nice refreshing. Good luck with it.

20210314_232432.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Sailman
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

AWESOME find. 

Love my Cinnamon Horse C160 and you'll love that Kohler K. 

Snow plowing or garden plowing?

Definitely garden plowing. We don't get enough snow down here in Georgia to make the snow blower needed. I do have the push blade that I move dirt and gravel with. Always admired your Cinnamon Horse!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pacer

That is one SWEET looking tractor ..... WOW!!  and the deck!! just WOW!! You done good 'grasshopper'

Reading about the later wirings and their problems reminds me of a 314-8 that I found a while back that had the row of idiot lights on the left side of the dash .... what a mess! After bout 30 mins of fiddling with that, I just ripped the whole mess out and went back with a tried and true on/off/start wiring. Ahhh, much better!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Herder

16 horses & a 6 speed.  Unstoppable.

IMG_1482.JPG.9040ff0e33ada069b677d65cae111bf4.JPG

Real nice find and best of luck with your 416-8.  I like the Magnums but prefer the K series. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Bob, @Maxwell-8 maybe more familiar with European specs.

I've only heard of 310 and 312 models having the 1" axles over here but I wouldn't be afraid of using them anyway. 

@WheelhorseBob 

pre toro (1985) : 308-8, 310-8 and 312-8 had 1" axles and 4 pinions, 314-8 and up had the transmissions with 1"1/8 axles and 8 pinion diffs

During Toro (1986 an up) every 300 series had the weaker transmission with 1" axle and 4 pinions, the 400 series got the better 1"1/8 axles and 8 pinions.

from 1990 onwards they gave some lower-classed models the better tranny (even some 312's) 

But have never seen any of those here in Europe. Had a parts 312-8 from 1990+, 1" axles

1"axles, are strong too, but the smaller hubs are more likely to break I guess. Seems to me they are always wobbely when I get them.

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Maxwell-8 said:

smaller hubs

Isn't it the same hub but with a smaller hole bored through?

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

your right, aren't those hubs smaller on the side of the tranny?  Not sure on that anymore, Haven't had a single horse with two identical hubs on it. all fit of course the WH rims, but some are smaller outer diameter on the tranny side...

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

but some are smaller outer diameter on the tranny side

Geeeez I don't know. 

Hadn't even considered there would be a difference.  

Maybe when you get a few minutes take some measurements.  

• Like 1

kpinnc

Sailman- that is a fantastic machine! My FIL has the exact same model, and I have begged him to never sell it unless I get first dibs!

You did great!

• Thanks 1

Snoopy11
18 hours ago, Sailman said:

IMG_1130.jpg

:wh:We are not worthy:wh:

image.jpeg.036f3f4708e28fd914218f42f4651755.jpeg

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Excellent 1

Maxwell-8
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Geeeez I don't know. 

Hadn't even considered there would be a difference.  

Maybe when you get a few minutes take some measurements.  

will do, but for me axle bearing failrate is much higher with 1" axles then 1"1/8

WheelhorseBob
2 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

@WheelhorseBob 

pre toro (1985) : 308-8, 310-8 and 312-8 had 1" axles and 4 pinions, 314-8 and up had the transmissions with 1"1/8 axles and 8 pinion diffs

During Toro (1986 an up) every 300 series had the weaker transmission with 1" axle and 4 pinions, the 400 series got the better 1"1/8 axles and 8 pinions.

from 1990 onwards they gave some lower-classed models the better tranny (even some 312's) 

But have never seen any of those here in Europe. Had a parts 312-8 from 1990+, 1" axles

1"axles, are strong too, but the smaller hubs are more likely to break I guess. Seems to me they are always wobbely when I get them.

Yes, my 1990 312-8 has 1 1/8 and eight pinions. That’s why I was questioning.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

will do, but for me axle bearing failrate is much higher with 1" axles then 1"1/8

I can see the logic in that... smaller load bearing surface on a smaller bearing

• Like 1

sparkie333

Nice tractor there --- you will enjoy it I'm sure.

• Thanks 1