8ntruck

Horse #2

Maxwell-8

great find, not even a broken plastic fender!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

@Matt Lemanski and @8ntruck good save folks.  

Those "big wheel" tractors are one of the influences for me building my own. 

Any ideas on condition of that one?

Run and drive?

What it needs, etc?

• Like 1

Pullstart

Good score!  I was hoping someone local would jump on that!  :ROTF:

Retired Wrencher

8ntruck. Looks like a great worker. Enjoy it.

Pollack Pete

Nice C-195.Glad that one found a home.I have 4 of them myself.Those Super C's are a huge tractor.Have fun with your new toy.

OutdoorEnvy

That really is a neat WH.  Does it really have a 4.5 gallon fuel tank?  That would be nice for a large mow job and a 60" deck.  I'm curious to here the rundown too of it's running condition...also what are your long term plans with it?  Good job though with the save!

953 nut
5 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

we exchanged some PM's and came up with a price

:text-yeahthat:                If it wasn't geographically undesirable (too far away) I would have done the same thing.             :handgestures-thumbupleft:

8ntruck

@pullstart - I was trying to keep our negotiations quiet, for fear that you would jump in and create a bidding war. :D

@ebinmaine - yes it runs and drives, but it is not ready to work.  Matt spent some time and a few parts breathing some life into it.  He said that it had been sitting since about 2003.

The wiring is, um interesting.  The PTO clutch is missing some pieces and the brake.  The mid Tach-Matic is missing its guts.  The crankcase was overfilled with oil, but that might be due to a leaky fuel pump.  The KT19 is a series 1, that smokes on start up - might be due to the high oil level, stuck rings, or the 1670 hours on the hour meter.  I think the tires are original, though they are ozone checked.  I tubed one, the rest are holding air.  The hydro seems sluggish - hopefully, an oil and filter change will help that. 

There is a hydraulic valve for a rear hitch, along with some plumbing.  I wonder if it once had a 3 point hitch?  Does anybody have pictures of C 195 with a factory 3 point, and one without a factory 3 point?

Oops.  I forgot to mention the patina.  It has loads of patina!

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Handy Don

@8ntruck When I started searching for my first horse, the C-195 got onto the "if one turns up give it a look" list. I hope you're able to bring it back to full use!

8ntruck

I cleaned up the wiring enough so jumper wires are no longer needed.  Chased a short down, too.  Was in the hour meter.  Per @ebinmaine suggestion, I picked up some 7 conducter trailer wire and some Packard 56 spade connectors today to start on a new wiring harness.

I ran it enough to get it up to temperature today.  Was not smoking like it did when I picked it up - that is good news.  While it was warm, I changed the oil.  The old oil looked like liquid coal.

It stalled and would not restart.  Fired immediately in carb cleaner.  I pulled the top off of the fuel pump.  Found a nest of rust color muck on the diaphragm, which was torn.  I'm thinking to install an electric pump.

Pulled the carb for cleaning, figuring that some of the muck has made its way into the carb and drained the gas tank.  Also picked up an in line gas filter.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Headed the right direction Sir

• Like 1

8ntruck

Was shopping for an electrical fuel pump today.  Think I'm going to go with a Delphi FD037.  The cheapies on Amazon had really spotty reviews. It seemed like ordering one would be a roll of the dice - so I didn't.

I did find a fuse block, so I can start working on a new wiring harness.

I pulled the side covers and gas tank off this afternoon to get a better look at the motion control linkage and brake linkage, hoping to find a reason for the low forward speed.

Turns out that the brake rod is not retracting rearward far enough for the centering cam on the brake rod to clear the motion control lever. It almost seems like the return spring is too long, preventing proper retraction of the brake rod.

Also, the brake rod does not travel forward enough when the brake pedal is depressed to close the safety switch in the starter circuit.

Next step is taking the brake linkage apart, cleaning it, reassembling, and adjusting it.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 2

8ntruck

Worked on the brake linkage today.  Some cleaning and some lube has the motion control lever and brake pedal working as they should.  

The hydro clutch lever won't lock in the 'off' position.  It appears that the idler pulley hits the side frame flange, preventing the clutch lever from toggling into the locked position.  The parts diagram shows a slot in the clutch lever, where mine just has a hole.  Replacement lever?  I'll bet there was a story behind this.

As I was picking up my tools today, I learned on the engine tin while I was reaching for a wrench.  As I learned on the engine, I felt it move!  Some more wiggling and observation reveals loose and missing engine mounting bolts.  Guess this ought to get moved to the top of the list.

• Like 1

8ntruck

I worked on the brake pedal/starter safety switch today.  The switch tested always open.  An online check revealed there is no direct replacement available.  A search on the manufacturer and patent number led me to patent drawings that told me what was inside the sealed body of the switch.

Having nothing to loose, I decided to open the switch and attempt a repair.  Out cane the Dremel and finger splitter saw.  I carefully cut the top off of the switch ( @pullstart take note - I did NOT split my finger).  The inside of the switch was coated with a fine dust and the contacts were corroded.  I polished the contacts, bent a little more 'spring' into the moving contact, cleaned the inside of the switch with contact cleaner, and glued the top back on the switch.  

Works as it should now.  Ready to go back in the tractor and eliminate a jumper wire.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Works as it should now.  Ready to go back in the tractor and eliminate a jumper wire

Nicely done. 

8ntruck

Got the electric fuel pump that arrived Monday mounted.  With the fittings I was able to come up with, it looks ugly - something I will clean up later after the tractor is running.  For testing, I will wire the pump to the headlight switch and drop a hose into a gas can sitting next to the tractor.

When I opened up the carb and, unsuprisingly, found a collection of carbogies.  Cleaned it  and put it back together and mounted it back on the engine.  

I've got to replace the remaining engine mounting bolts before I fire the engine again.  Two were missing, two were loose.  The fuel tank will need to be cleaned before the fuel system can be finalized.  Also have to make a block off plate for the mechanical fuel pump.

Hopefully, I will have the engine running again tomorrow on an 'IV' bag.

I plan on doing some repainting of the seat brackets and mounting plate before I reassemble everything for a test drive.  After the test drive, I am planning on doing an oil and filter change on the hydro unit.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

After the test drive, I am planning on doing an oil and filter change on the hydro unit

Get ahold of a WIX or Napa filter if possible. 

How's the existing fluid look and smell?

AMC RULES

NAPA GOLD 1410 HYDRAULIC OIL FILTER MINT NEW IN BOX,,,, FREE SHIPPING, |  eBay

• Thanks 1

8ntruck

The fluid on the end of the dip stick looks like oil and looks good.  Haven't smelled it yet.

Thanks for the filter number.  Will save me from looking it up.

jonw440

Sounds like your doing a great job bringing her back!

Handy Don
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

The fluid on the end of the dip stick looks like oil and looks good.  Haven't smelled it yet.

Do NOT try tasting it! :lol:

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8ntruck
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Do NOT try tasting it! :lol:

:text-yeahthat:  I shouldn't?  There was no warning label telling me not to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Handy Don
20 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

There was no warning label telling me not to

THIS is your warning. :laughing-rolling:

WheelPuke

What a save! I can’t believe someone would want to junk such tractor.

• Like 1