Sparkey

Crash

Sparkey

Brakes didn’t work well heavy load of mulch jumped out of gear had to bail and landed on a rock 

brakes have since been fixed 

95CFFF20-4D71-48E7-909F-F0E33A1CD340.jpeg

585DDB97-E63F-4A4D-B998-1111E26E314A.jpeg

1CD5AAEC-A8B0-4DDA-B480-A015D1037D59.jpeg

• Sad 13

stevasaurus

I hate to say you are lucky, but it could have been a lot worse.  Only the young can bruise like that and live to tell about it.  :hide:

• Like 5

WHX??

Ouch talk about leaving a mark. :huh: Hope fully no major damage to the tractor. 

AMC RULES

Gravity always wins.

Now you've got a good story to tell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sparkey

No damage to the tractor or lasting damage to me other then sore for a few weeks. felt like a idiot for not having the brakes working proper. I may have been able to ride it out but I thought the machine was going over. Always a good PSA for safety only takes a second and could alter or end your life.

• Like 5

peter lena

@Sparkey  AS SAID , YOU ARE LUCKEY , maybe next time , some body armor , and low range gearing, that low range works both ways , gives you the ability to move heavy objects , and using it as the gear reduction it is, will give you control letting the drive train act as a big brake . have a couple of steep areas to mow , always use low range , for crawling control. just my experience, pete 

• Like 2

squonk

Even with the brakes working they leave a lot do be desired. Know your tractors limitations. You see posts all the time. "Look how much my Wheel Horse can pull!" Yeah what about stopping.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Rusty Tinsnips

That should buff right out.

• Haha 4

Pullstart

Aren’t brakes on these even worse in reverse?  That must have added to the issue as well.

• Like 4

953 nut

Glad you weren't seriously injured. Traction, or the lack thereof, may have added to the problem. The brakes being on the transmission with an open differential the greatest amount of stopping force will be applied to the wheel with the least traction.   

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Band brakes as on WHs are self energizing going forward but not in reverse....Takes a lot more effort to stop going back down hill with a load....

• Like 2

WheelHorse520H
19 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Band brakes as on WHs are self energizing going forward but not in reverse....Takes a lot more effort to stop going back down hill with a load....

That’s a good thing to keep in mind. Like the guys have said @Sparkey, it could have been worse. Glad your okay.

Wheel Horse 3D

OUCH!!!!!

Exactly why I love my hydrostatic on my hillside property! Even with a good loaded bucket I can just back down easy and pick my speed, no free wheelin, no slipping out of gear, these tires might slip a little but I expect the new tires to fix that!

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 1

Handy Don
1 minute ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Exactly why I love my hydrostatic on my hillside property!

I also like being able to creep up or on a slope using the hydrostatic. Early on while creeping forward downhill, I nudged it back bit too far and wound up in neutral I was shocked at how fast it picked up speed rolling free with just a deck mounted. Got it re-engaged and went back to creeping (and left a nice scuff mark on the lawn from the rear tires)!

Wheel Horse 3D
5 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I also like being able to creep up or on a slope using the hydrostatic. Early on while creeping forward downhill, I nudged it back bit too far and wound up in neutral I was shocked at how fast it picked up speed rolling free with just a deck mounted. Got it re-engaged and went back to creeping (and left a nice scuff mark on the lawn from the rear tires)!

Yup! on a slope if ya go a bit too far in fwd or rev you'll know it! and even when ya skid it sure beats freewheeling outta gear! Had an MTD do that to me once..coulda been REALLY bad..sent me over a 10ft embankment with a deep ditch at the bottom and flipped me and the tractor over, fortunately I landed quite flat and the force was distributed and I was able to redirect the tractor with my feet to one side.Bit of a sore tailbone for a couple weeks.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D