Racinbob

Sickle Bar Finally

WHX??

I might have forgot to  mention  Bob but my sickel has been sitting  on my project  list for too long now and you are lighting a fire under my @$$   to githerdone!. Keep up the good work! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lane Ranger

Bob:  I started with a 42 sickle that was much worse than yours .  Take some solace in that when working through your redo project.

I am sure you will end up with a great sickle mower it just takes time.   I am positive there are more parts in a sickle than any other Wheel Horse attachment.   

014A8098-6EBF-44E6-AAD9-A596E945F259.jpeg

440462CE-C26C-423D-843B-8ADF9ED91FDF.jpeg

BEBF0BB5-03CC-4AB8-AA66-729179CDBBCB.jpeg

053C4D0B-7732-4441-8524-28306C3E3F70.jpeg

2CC6D144-9421-419D-B65F-D2B1DE7E75FA.jpeg

8456A211-7478-4C1C-BAF7-87116B723F5E.jpeg

F0E31EA4-9386-42E4-9086-52EA4D248ACA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Racinbob

Yea, I'd say you did start off with even a rougher one than mine Lane. Great job getting her fixed up. I tried to get some of the Knock'er Loose but the closest Napa didn't have it. Apparently CRC now makes it or bought K&W or something. I did pick up a can of Free All just to try it. I can't say if it works or now but I can tell you is smells a lot better than most I've tried. With the yoke rod running the full length it really concerns me. I've only got a propane torch for heat. Maybe I'll pick up some Mapp gas. I think it gets hotter. :)

• Like 1

WHX??
14 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Yea, I'd say you did start off with even a rougher one than mine Lane.

:text-yeahthat: Nice save tho :handgestures-thumbupright:

Mine came in a basket! 

20170719_190949.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

Handy Don
12 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

more parts in a sickle than any other Wheel Horse attachment

The flail mower I'm still working on is probably second--80 knives and 44 clevis pins with ring retainers to hold them and then the shell, mounting and drive mechanism. Had I known then what I know now .....

• Like 1

Racinbob
3 hours ago, WHX?? said:

:text-yeahthat: Nice save tho :handgestures-thumbupright:

Mine came in a basket! 

I kinda think that may have been a good thing Jim. I just had a good thing happen. I rigged up the frame and yoke like this:

Sickle_Bar_092421_a.jpg.5a73d1b1936832621fa6d051a953d195.jpg

Using that piece of bar stock I was able to turn the yoke. Now I need to be patient and let the go juice do it's thing for a few days or?? :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 3

Handy Don
23 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

was able to turn the yoke

:greetings-clappingyellow:

Progress!

• Like 2

WHX??

Yep just getting it to move just a little is huge! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Racinbob
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Yep just getting it to move just a little is huge! :handgestures-thumbupright:

You bet it was. I also got the lift handle off. I didn't want to force it cuz I wasn't certain something else was holding it but Lane confirmed that there wasn't so I got intimate with it.

All in all it was a productive day but it did have an 'oh crap!' moment. After I got things tidied up I decided I wanted to take a golf cart ride out back. I had used the battery on it to 'fire up' my automatic charger on the e-tank. The solenoid clicked once and that was it. It didn't take much detective work to determine that the charger took a dump. I had to order the one I wanted so my e-tank will be down a few days. In the morning I'll ask one of my trusty :wh: to offer up a jump and I'll cruise around to get it charged back up. :)

Handy Don
35 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

cruise around to get it charged back up

My Dad's thing was to "open 'er up to blow out the carbon". Hmmm.:lol:

Racinbob

Another good day fighting rust. I got the lift bar and frame primed and painted. The new shaft, pulleys and bearings are supposed to be here tomorrow but I won't be able to work on it until at least Tuesday. I forgot about the idler pulleys. Even though I could pick them up locally I went ahead and ordered a couple. 

Sickle_Bar_092621_b.jpg.c0dd6da823d2912ee116d99b6a4d3fa6.jpg1519333454_SickleBar092621c.jpg.ec0688ca398a8457b8df557b4dd3fbd8.jpg

Here's the bestest news. I've been soaking the bar and tube the beat I could. I decided to turn it again and it was definitely easier. I re-rigged it on the trailer frame so I could twist and pull at the same time. IT WAS SLOWLY COMING OUT! Once I got the end of us inside the pipe I handed my wife a steel rod and hammer and told her to just start hitting it. That helped and before I knew it I was holding it in my hand. :banana-dance::banana-dance::banana-dance::banana-dance::banana-dance:

292701905_SickleBar092621a.jpg.990b8427447b37d9175ec72645c9da68.jpg

I don't have the main pully off yet but I don't think it's going to fight me much more. I'm not going to do much to the wobble box and bar. I'll pull the knives off and clean them up and check the drive pin for wear. 

Sickle_bar_092621_d.jpg.4764667adc62ce49ce30d12b9f7fb387.jpg 

Normally when I attack a project I horribly under estimate the issues and headaches I'll run in to. I think I over estimated this one. :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Lane Ranger

I used a pickle fork behind the big cast pulley to slowly move it off the shaft. 

• Like 1

Racinbob

As I mentioned in post 34 my battery charger took a dump. I ordered one that I found on Menards site that has a manual setting. The only store that had them in stock was in Loveland, OH so I ordered one. A few hours later I received an email stating that it was no longer available and they would issue me a credit. I immediately went to Harbor Freight and picked up a cheapie so I could continue. The next day I got an update from Menards stating my order has shipped :confusion-scratchheadyellow:. I followed the tracking and it arrived on time yesterday. Something was fishy as the box was only about 2" x 3". I opened it up and found this tasty treat.

Clams.jpg.1e9ed0c71cf20637bf41cc6228ca0fa0.jpg

Now why would anybody order a 6.5 oz can of clams? From Menards:confusion-shrug:

Oh well. The Surplus Center order came yesterday. It was actually correct allowing me to do this today.

1625480566_SickleBar092921a.jpg.f59ed582d0cb5fd4f53624616c547331.jpg

I need to get a 59" belt and some 3/16" keys which I'll do locally. I'm just about set to bring the 854 into the garage and bolting things up. :banana-linedance::banana-linedance::banana-linedance::banana-linedance::banana-linedance:

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Racinbob

Been away from this project a few days doing get ready for winter things and hauling the wife back and forth to South Bend. She had cataract surgery on her second eye this morning. 

I checked out the pivot pin for wear and there absolutely none. I really don't think this thing was run much. It's like the previous owner bought it, did a couple jobs and set it in the weeds. I do need to clean up the threads so I have a 5/8"-18 tap and die coming. There was no jam nut so I have a batch of them coming. This is the first 5/8"-18 jam nut I've needed and most likely the last. When it comes to hardware why am I always compelled to order a batch of them instead of just what I need? :confusion-shrug:

738025784_SickleBar100721b.jpg.162e9558ffdc9284bd3ad09ba601888d.jpg1429072355_SickleBar100721a.jpg.04e66dd95b734ccdc02a9ce329ff706b.jpg

squonk

Clams.jpg.1e9ed0c71cf20637bf41cc6228ca0fa0.jpg

:hilarious:My son ordered a back pack. He got a box of 1000 urine test kits! :hilarious:

• Haha 2

Racinbob

Ran into another issue this morning. The end threads on the mower drive pin are too worn. If you look back at post #39 you can see it. I ran a 5/8"-18 die on it to clean up the threads and I thought it would be OK but it just won't hold unless I run the threads in to the end. Time to contact Lane and hopefully he still has some that he posted for sale. My fingers are crossed that the female threads are OK. PM sent to you @Lane Ranger :)

• Thanks 1

Racinbob

I receiver the new drive pin from @Lane Ranger this morning. I had fears that the female threads might be buggered some but that wasn't the case. The new pin threads in smoothly and snugs up nicely. For those of you who have a sickle bar I could see where having one of these on the shelf might be a good idea.

780964541_SickleBar101921a.jpg.de4c979ae52c44759ab151f5bbbc9321.jpg

I got this mounted under the 854. I thought I was going to have to take a grinder the the yoke where is bolts to the back of the frame. I installed a reinforcing plate mounting the frame to the transmission back when I got the tractor. If it would have been even a 16th thicker the holes wouldn't have lined up. 

Sickle_Bar_101921_b.jpg.be2bb206c1fb5f8fac0dbeb0c26a133c.jpg

It should be smooth sailing here on. I'll have to get a drive belt. Supposedly it's a 6573 which is 38" but I'm not certain the lower pulley is the stock diameter. Getting close! :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Racinbob

I'm happier than a squirrel in a nut house. She's all done and I took her on a maiden voyage. It actually seems quieter and smoother than the one I had over 20 years ago. 

1978211670_SickleBar102621a.jpg.3ceecf58b30e1ac37fe9d1ef1ac96e1c.jpg

The majority of the time I'll have it held to about a 45° angle as I trim back the overhanging briars on the paths. One last thing is I'll keep a lookout for a wheel weight. It could use one on the left rear especially when it's held in suspension. :greetings-clappingyellow:

Sickle_Bar_102621_b.jpg.1f37d3e5c036854de7987005226ae00a.jpg

• Excellent 2

WHX??

Looks good Bob ....till you get that weight ...lean over the left side like us plow dogs do! 

20180622_090119.jpg

• Like 1

Racinbob
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Looks good Bob ....till you get that weight ...lean over the left side like us plow dogs do! 

20180622_090119.jpg

I do that Jim but I guess I'm just not quite man enough. :huh:

• Like 1

WHX??
33 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

I do that Jim but I guess I'm just not quite man enough. :huh:

Get Nancy to sit on yer lap.. get a little snugling in and the briars cut ! :)

• Like 1