WheelHorse520H

607 transmission binding when coasting (among other issues)

WheelHorse520H
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

you can find the bearing numbers you need in the post pinned to eh top of this section...or Wheel horse parts and more in the vendor section has sets of everything you need...

Oh, you mean the one labeled “bearing and seal cross numbers” that I scroll past multiple times a day. That’s a good place to look. Thanks, I never really read the stuff that’s pinned at the top of a section. Maybe I should. Thanks again.

• Like 3

rjg854

Real glad you decided to tear it down, no amount of flushing would have fixed that :ychain:

• Like 2

WheelHorse520H
21 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Real glad you decided to tear it down, no amount of flushing would have fixed that :ychain:

I know, when I busted it open I saw all the pieces and was so glad that I did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Take a chisel and come in straight at the woodruff key.  Get into the metal and pry it out.  A pair of side cutters can do the same job.  New keys are cheap.  Now you can pull out that input gear and shaft.  Yes, that is a bearing in the end of the input shaft...the spline shaft fits into that bearing.  You might be able to get a small blade screwdriver in between the bearing race and the casting, rip the bearing a little and then pull it out with a needle nose pliers.  :occasion-xmas:

Harbor Freight has a cheap set of bearing pullers in a kit that you may want to invest in.  That would make life a lot easier.

702 transmission 017.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
23 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Wheel horse parts and more in the vendor section has sets of everything you need

That is the way I'd go.  

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
On 8/18/2021 at 12:16 PM, stevasaurus said:

Harbor Freight has a cheap set of bearing pullers in a kit that you may want to invest in.  That would make life a lot easier.

I have a huge box of pullers in the garage, can you send a photo of which one I should use. If I have it. The woodruff key on the input shaft is not making its way out, I heated around it  because it’s quite stubborn and pounded at it with a chisel like you said and it hasn’t budged. Suggestions?

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WheelHorse520H said:

woodruff key

Do you have the gear off the key so the key is readily exposed?

If so you can VERY carefully cut the key down the middle with a die grinder or Dremel tool and it'll collapse into itself in the groove.  

stevasaurus

Take a good chisel and use a bigger hammer then.  Come at it straight from the end of the axle.

Bearing puller set from Harbor Freight.

Gear Puller Set, 15 Pc. 62958 alternate photo #1

stevasaurus

You can also use 1/2 drive sockets that just fit in the casting to tap out bearings.  I use an extension placed inside the socket and use the back of the socket to tap out the bearing.  The back of the socket is sharper and fits better.  The seals will tap out with the bearings with this method.   :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

WheelHorse520H

I got the input shaft out, and was able to save the woodruff key! I am going to order the new bearings soon along with the seals. Just to be clear, the part numbers in the bearing and seal cross numbers PDFs are just the bearings and seals correct? I’m glad to be getting somewhere with this again.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

. Just to be clear, the part numbers in the bearing and seal cross numbers PDFs are just the bearings and seals correct?

@stevasaurus Is this correct?

I'm not familiar with the document...

stevasaurus

Yes, just bearings and Seals.  You want to download PDF #2.

WheelHorse520H

Ahh, thanks. I thought so but wanted to double check. I need all of the bearings and seals. When I got the input shaft out one of the bearings was frozen and the other was missing splines… like many of the others.

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

all of the bearings and seals

Easiest way to accomplish that would be to contact Lowell at Wheelhorse Parts and More. One of our listed vendors. Good folks.  

WheelHorse520H
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Easiest way to accomplish that would be to contact Lowell at Wheelhorse Parts and More. One of our listed vendors. Good folks.  

Yeah, I was on his website a little while ago and it was going to be over $200 for the bearings and some oil seals.

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Yeah, I was on his website a little while ago and it was going to be over $200 for the bearings and some oil seals.

He is the only source for new 1533 bearings and they are the big ticket item in the package (he went out on a limb and had them reproduced after they had been unavailable from any where for a few years.) If you have a bearing supply house near you you could pick up all the other bearings and seals.  I haven't followed this thread are your 1533s bad???

Edited by pfrederi

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

If you take the list and do some online searching you can find some prices lower. 

Lowell's parts are all good quality. 

Alternative sources could be questionable, especially for the over seas cheap bearings.  

As Paul states above the main bearings are the kicker.  

The savings you could get have potential to come back to haunt later. 

WheelHorse520H
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

I haven't followed this thread are your 1533s bad???

All but one or two bearing in the tranny are toast. But I am not gonna do this again so all of them are getting replaced. 

57 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Alternative sources could be questionable, especially for the over seas cheap bearings.  

I’m not taking chances, I’ll see what Lowell has.

Is his username wheelhorseman?

Edited by WheelHorse520H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Is his username wheelhorseman?

Yep. 

@wheelhorseman is Lowell. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

If you look at PDF#2, I give the catalog number of each bearing & seal from Motion Industries (a bearing house).  Go to Motion Industries.com and plug in the catalog numbers, it will show you the cost.  Then you can compare to Lowell's prices.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

WheelHorse520H
11 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

If you look at PDF#2, I give the catalog number of each bearing & seal from Motion Industries (a bearing house).  Go to Motion Industries.com and plug in the catalog numbers, it will show you the cost.  Then you can compare to Lowell's prices.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

I saw the numbers and what companies they were for but I didn’t think to compare prices since everyone said to talk to Lowell. Does the PDF have anything about the gasket for the two halves?

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

I saw the numbers and what companies they were for but I didn’t think to compare prices since everyone said to talk to Lowell. Does the PDF have anything about the gasket for the two halves?

He's got those as well. 

And also get a shifter boot. 

WheelHorse520H
Just now, ebinmaine said:

He's got those as well. 

And also get a shifter boot. 

And drain plug….

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WheelHorse520H said:

And drain plug….

Oh yeah. Try for magnetic if you can find one. 

WheelHorse520H

Okay, so I got all of the bearings out except the one on the input shaft in the gear. Is there a trick to this one? Looks like I’ll have the dough this week to get all the bearings and seals. Turns out I actually have a GM drain plug that fits so I am going to use that for now.

• Like 1