Tadziu

Rear axle missing teeth

Tadziu

I have an old wheel horse that I can't find the model number on.  It has four pinions in the rear axle housing and 4 bolts holding it together. One axle gear has lost all its teeth and 3 of the 4  pinion gears have teeth missing. Where can I find parts to repair this unit?  will the 8 and 10 pinion rear axle housings i see used on eBay interchange and fit in this 3 speed high/lo transmission? Any help or advice would be truly appreciated. 

WHX??

:WRS:

Steve is our resident transmission expert I'll give him a jingle. @stevasaurus

If you can post some pictures of your horse we can try and ID it. 

gwest_ca

Believe you have one of two transmission models if you have 1" diameter axles.

Click on the fuzzy picture in each link to see a list of the tractor models that used each transmission

stevasaurus

The answer to your question is no...parts that you need for your trans are not the same as for the 6 and 8 speed transmission.  Can you put a picture of your horse and your trans on here??  Is it a 2 piece or 3 piece transmission??  Do you have the hi / low range??  I also assume that your pinions are on a post...how many teeth on your pinions??

If you have a 4 pinion differential, you have 1" dia axles.  That is why the 6 / 8 speeds will not work...unless you have the #5086.  How long is your axle??  I would suggest not buying anything on E-Bay until we determine what you have.  I can tell you this, if you have what I think you have...parts are available and not expensive.

Does your trans look like this...3 piece

2008_0408LANE10019.JPG

or this...2 piece

702 transmission 036.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Tadziu said:

this 3 speed high/lo transmission?

He said Steve so guessing it's a 5060 or later. 

stevasaurus

Dang Jim, I missed that...so he has a #5086.  Well, everything I said is still true.  The 1 1/8" axle transmission differential parts are not compatible.  Still want to know everything I asked...axle length, pinions on a post, number of splines on the pinions, and pictures of the trans.  It is possible that the pinions may be the same...do some research tomorrow. :occasion-xmas:

953 nut

If you are looking for a 1" differential and axles and it measures up right and looks like this one I will give it to you for the cost of shipping. It is from an older 3 speed but may fit your needs.

102_2955.JPG.de8293a08521262d0dedcfba0eb7bf0a.JPG

Edited by 953 nut

Tadziu

that is exactly what mine looks like. 1" axles and 4 bolts holding it together. How do I get a hold of you?

Tadziu

it has 1" axwh2.jpg.8cb45b45342efbd185ae545a65c9d474.jpg2043721470_wh1.jpg.5f060c81be6ae10c97de721d05317ab9.jpgles  24 tooth axle gear, 11 tooth pinion (4 of them) and the axles are 11 5/8" long. 

Tadziu

you guys are GREAT!  what a helpful bunch.  

Tadziu

Looks like the picture covered up the words. It is a two piece transmission the axle gears are 24 teeth. it has 4 pinions that have 11 teeth there are 4 pinions the axles are each 11 5/8" long and 1" in diameter.  the trans mission has 3 forward and one reverse gear with a high/low shift also. (two shift levers)

• Thanks 1

Tadziu
17 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Steve is our resident transmission expert I'll give him a jingle. @stevasaurus

If you can post some pictures of your horse we can try and ID it. 

wh 1.jpg

wh2.jpg

stevasaurus

Richard's axles may be too short for you...he will have to check.  I think you have the #5086 transmission.  If  Richard's axles measure 10 5/8" , none of those parts you need will help.  

#5086 transmission

axles 11 5/8"  part #5961

axle gear 24 teeth part #3908

pinions (4) 11 teeth part #101623

I would get in touch with Lincoln at @A-Z Tractor He is in our list of vendors.  Unless, somebody else has those parts laying around.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

The thing about axle lengths...no idea until you tear one apart.  Using information from members that have torn apart transmissions and knowing what transmissions they tore apart, we were able to make a list.  Here you can cross reference axle part #,  with transmission # , with what differential, with axle length and figure out what you have or what you need.  You will find the IPL's for your horse invaluable here.  Use the "Manual Section", find your horse, find the drawing of your transmission, the part # for your axles and cross reference the part # here with the length.  It sounds harder then it is....trust me...this  is easy and needed to happen.  :confusion-confused:

1" axles::

1. The first 1" axle on the left is for the #5003 and the #5010 3 piece transmissions.  RJ58/9 , 1960-400 & 550, and the 1961-401    10 5/8"

2.  The next 2  fit the #5007, #5025, #5046, #5048, #5049 and #5053...all of the two piece"3 speeds".   Part II in the transmission manual.  10 5/8"

3.   11 5/8" part #5961  new part #101880  used in (manual) #5086 trannys  4 pinion differential &  WH #5052 Sundstrand #3100077...also 4 pinion.

stevasaurus

The #5086 transmission was used in 1972 Raiders 8 & 10 hsp, and in 1973 "no name" 8 & 10 hsp.  These are basically the same tractors.  :occasion-xmas:  Was also used 1980, 81, 82 in the GT models.

BTW...the #110996 transmission also is compatible for the parts you need.  The #110996 started in 1985.

Show us a few pictures of your horse and what engine you have.

Tadziu

this one has a 12hp Kohler engine.  talking with my father in law who originally had this he thinks it is 40-50 years old. my axles are good could i replace  the 10 5/8 axles with my 11 5/8 axles?  it looks like I have a # 1086 transmission, Correct?

stevasaurus

The 12 hsp engine would not be the correct engine for the trans with 1" axles.  Different engine or different trans.

I thought you had the 11 5/8" axles.  Richard probably has the 10 5/8" axles.  Yes, the are interchangeable, but the reason they are different is because of your tires width or your fender pan or both.  @953 nut can measure his axles without opening his differential.  His axles, like yours are equal in length...just has to take the total measurement and divide by 2.