Crazyredhorse

axle holder

Crazyredhorse

Anyone made a jig for holding axle on end while you work on them.my vise isn't big enough to hold one.just looking for a easy cheap way.

ebinmaine

What're you doing to it?

Achto
1 hour ago, Crazyredhorse said:

Anyone made a jig for holding axle on end while you work on them.

I have seen some tables with a hole cut in them for the axle to stick through that work pretty well. Allows the rest of the case to sit flat on the table.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

I have used a square plastic milk crate. Turn it upside down and cut a hole for the axle part of the case to go through. 
I be also used a workbench with a hole in it. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
34 minutes ago, Achto said:

I have seen some tables with a hole cut in them

4 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

workbench with a hole

That's what I did.

I cut a square hole about 2, 2.25". Then I took a file and a jigsaw and cut slots on the outside of the holes so that the reinforcement webs of the transmission fit into those slots. Keeps things from twisting around while you're driving bearings in and out.

I also drilled a hole in the bench surface for the input shaft to fall into so everything sits flat.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Guys, I know you know, but he did say axle not transmission.  I have a large enough vise to hold the axle.  Actually, my vise will hold the transmission by the axle housing.  :occasion-xmas:  It's hard to answer a question that does not tell you enough information to know what answer he is looking for.  :confusion-confused:  :angry-banghead:  If he is actually trying to work on an axle, none of your suggestions will work.  A wood thing, mounted to a bench with 1" or 1 1/8" holes is what he needs.  :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

It's hard to answer a question that does not tell you enough information to know what answer he is looking for

Yessir...

Hence my first question:

2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

What're you doing to it?

Of it's ONLY the axle I'm messing with I have a pair of "soft jaws" for my largest vise. 

They're made of a pliable material and have grooves at different angles. 

Works slick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Eric, I think your answer was right on.  This guy has been around enough to know how to ask a question.  He has wasted a few members time.  Unless, it is about how to hold an axle.  :eusa-think:

Crazyredhorse

I mean the whole rear end tranny n all. I was thinking of flipping an old garbage can I have over and cutting a hole in it.but thought I'd ask.see what you all do.dont want to get my wood bench all full of oil stains.also after reading this thought I could make a board to fit in vice with a hole in it too.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

That information would have been helpful...you think??  I use an old case that they used for 5 gallon carboys (glass water jugs).  I can turn it different ways to be able to hold the parts of the trans solidly.  It is easy to use on the work bench and put paper towels or cloth towels underneath.  It would be easy to make one, but they are still available and they are solid.

2008_0811STEVEBOS0002.JPG

2008_0811STEVEBOS0003.JPG

2008_0811STEVEBOS0004.JPG

2008_0811STEVEBOS0005.JPG

It has enough holes and places to turn the trans to what ever position you need it to be in.  It has been perfect for working on these transmissions.

• Like 1

Crazyredhorse

well I can fit a 1 inch axle shaft in my vice SORRY!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1