uglyblue66

My electric wheel horse E 141 Could use some "help"

uglyblue66

Well I have not heard anything on my order,so I am getting concerned,may give them a call.

Was kinda hoping to button this thing back up and run it a bit towing a aerator  in the yard

RandyLittrell

There should be an L shaped bracket that goes over the top of the tension pulley, the one that moves. When you depress the clutch, it moves the pulley forward and the bracket contacts the belt making it stop so you can shift. 

Does the motor turn all the time while it is "on"? 

Check out this picture. It is not a picture of your exact tractor, but the all are pretty much the same. 

I think you need the 61 inch belt and make sure it is an agriculture type. 

Randy

Belt1.jpg.6da9903ac27fa78b303470291a10e187.jpg

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 1

RandyLittrell

I forgot to tell you   :text-welcomeconfetti:

You will find a real home here and most likely end up with more horses in your stable!!! 

Randy

• Like 1

uglyblue66

Well I still haven't got my parts but I called Jim Coates and he is on the case and is sending me the new belt I ordered PLUS a FACTORY wheel horse belt NOS.

So I will take that belt with me to my supplier and let them measure it with their tooling and see what they can come up with. It is not a inch increment,seems it is a .3 inch longer ,not quite half a inch.

uglyblue66

Well I got my outlet and a Gates BX-59 belt in the mail from the Electric tractor store.

here is a page with the specs of the belt,I will let you all know how it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Gates-Tri-Power-Section-Outside-Circumference/dp/B00CJJG00Y

Edited by uglyblue66
  • Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Any updates?

I just picked up an E 141 and am starting to educate myself on the whole dc motor world…

• Like 1

uglyblue66

I was under the weather with a sinus issue for  several weeks and finally got out from under it and my shop was a DISASTER. So the past 2 weeks I have been slowly working on getting the shop where i can work again.refurbishing my blasting cabinets with new guns ,screens ,and media and such. I have not worked on the wheel horse but it is sitting in the shop waiting.

The control system on this machine is kinda over complicated. It could be as simple as a E-10 Electrac. but it has a brain. Which the Freerange tractor guy that the link is for in a above post can rebuild the "brain" .

this site is a wealth of information.

The motor it's self is not hard to make repairs on it.IF it has not run in years,I would suggjest taking it apart and installing new bearings,and make sure the brushes move freely and the magnets are still glued in the housing.You do NOT want a loose magnet.

Edited by uglyblue66
  • Like 1

uglyblue66

Well I finally piddled on this thing today and got the new belt on,it fits fine. I was afraid there was something bad wrong since it stopped working and I pushed it back in the shop ,but I had to remove the seat and such to finish some other things and turns out the seat safety switch is the issue.

• Like 2

uglyblue66

Does anyone have 1 of these that can post a photo of the fender and seat support bracket that is part number 23 on the parts diagram,part number 107313 > I have got to make 1 and it seems it may be a bit more difficult to head scratch and make than the rest of the parts. I will continue to work at it but if anyone has 1 that can take a pic,I would appreciate it.

Tractor 1980-83 E-141 8-speed IPL Pt2 #810007R1.pdf

SylvanLakeWH

Link doesn’t work for me… can you post a image of it off the diagram?

uglyblue66

I can't seem to save a imiage or save the page, But it is on page 11 of the second section that you can download.

file:///C:/Users/Admin/Downloads/Tractor%201980-83%20E-141%208-speed%20IPL%20Pt2%20%23810007R1.pdf

Edited by uglyblue66

SylvanLakeWH

Any progress on this?

Also what type /size batteries did you get?

uglyblue66

Thanks for reminding me of this thread,I had not come to it in a while.

I haven't worked on this in a while.It sits in the shop with 6 agm batterys I picked up for 30 apiece. The guy recently retired so I won't be able to get any more. :(

I have had to many projects that "needed" attention that I couldn't get to this 1. My zero turn currently has a screwed up engine,so it comes apart tonight for example. :(

I will get back to yawl with  a update as it happens! I appreciate the help I have gotten here so far.

• Thanks 1

uglyblue66

No photo yet but It is assembled completely as I can, as I have no deck  for it.

I repainted the black section of the hood,installed led bulbs for the head lights.

I just wish I knew what that dad gum beeper is for.I think I am going to unsolder it from the computer board as it goes off for no reason.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I am pretty sure my beeper was disconnected by po… No idea what it is for… :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

uglyblue66

1 photo is a during process repair of the rear fender with a plastic welder.I had to get 1 to fix the hood on my john deere gt262 and I saw this was the same material so i fixed it while I was doing.

This is about as done as I know to do right now except for hooking up some wires to use a golf cart charger on the wheel horse,The GE is setup to use a golf cart charger.I have the correct charger for the E 141 but it does not seem to work.

DSC00009.JPG

KIMG0206[1].JPG

KIMG0205[1].JPG

KIMG0204[1].JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

Sparky

Nice “nearly” finished product! 

• Like 1

uglyblue66

Yep,it is going to have some miles put on it as a rider at a few of the tractor-engine shows I go to.

No need to  get it perfect and then get "that scratch" that just makes your heart sink.

• Excellent 1

uglyblue66

Well for charging,i got 1 of these to try out. I think I will get a second 1 and charge each bank with 1 of them. Slow,small, but small enough I can put 2 of them under the hood of the machine and have a switch to connect them to the charger. And plug in the cord. When I take this thing to a show,it can charge over night.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313927334992

• Excellent 1

uglyblue66

Well, I took this tractor to the Threshers Reunion at Denton NC over the weekend and used it for a ride alot of the time. I had my golf cart but actually found this tractor to be more  appropriate for the purpose. Comfortable, fast enough or slow enough,either way due to the transmission. I topped off the charge on the battery's 1 time over night.but had no range issues or anything. I did have  a glitch that prompted me to have to wiggle the circuit board near the right corner.I just got thru re-soldering the connections on that large black connector and so far so good.

Although this machine is not setup as a "tractor" I have found it to have PLENTY of power to do odd jobs. I had a 20 foot section of creosote power pole to move and hooked a chain to it and drug it around like a little  red wagon. No problem. You have to be careful, this dang thing will do a slight wheelie!

• Excellent 2

Snoopy11
16 hours ago, uglyblue66 said:

this dang thing will do a slight wheelie!

Have you thought about weighting the front of the tractor? :confusion-confused:

Don

peter lena

@ RANDY LITTRELL, noticing related idler pulley , noted for noise and failure , might try a same size / same type pulley with a larger bearing and wide grease shields , pop off shields , clean out , lucas re grease , add a bronze bushing to larger bearing , probably 5/8 or 3/4 to 3/8  original size , bolts on exactly as original , no noise or failures . been using them for years , solid / smooth , pete

• Like 1

peter lena

@uglyblue66   those original small bearing pulleys , just turned me off as a durable pulley , immediately  started hunting down a same size / type pulley with bigger bearing and wide grease side shields , local bearing distributor has them , now and then T/S  has them in stock . small pocket flat screwdriver ,carefully remove grease shields , wipe out grease , carb cleaner flush , repack with lucas x-tra heavy duty chassis grease , 560 temp rated , anti sling , polyurea , recovering , bombproof , no noise or whining , as stated , only have to add a bronze sleeve at bolt point , down to 3/8" for original fit . don't  worry  won't tell  anyone you might do this , pete 

uglyblue66

I have a question.I know the chances of finding a loose electric deck for this is out in the wild is next to impossiable. I mean this is the ONLY E141 tractor I have ever laid eyes on so I know a deck will be even harder to come by.

So I have a theory.

I have a ragged C85 I think it is,that someone put a honda engine on.

It has a narrow 2 blade deck I think,I am not positive.but the quick attach thing is universal, so I found 2 Ryobi electric 20 inch cut push mowers yesterday for 40 a peice .like new,no batterys.  40 volt ,I have not bought them yet,

I am thinking of putting those 2 motors on this narrow deck and put it under the E141?

not that I need to mow with it but I think it would be great to have it functional for demonstration and such?

any ideas?

Edited by uglyblue66
  • Excellent 1