Bill D

Bobcat Deck for my Horse

peter lena

@ronhatch lookin good there ron , I  regularly cross cut my pattern for better lawn function , also tow an aerator  for spiking and to get the birds some worms , highest cut , looks good , pete 

• Excellent 1

Bill D

Progress being made.  One coat of POR 15 and two coats of Rust-Oleum spray on truck bed liner.  Should keep the rust at Bay.

KIMG1403.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

I'm starting to thing the only sure path to a rust free deck is stainless steel!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc
10 hours ago, Bill D said:

Progress being made.  One coat of POR 15 and two coats of Rust-Oleum spray on truck bed liner.  Should keep the rust at Bay.

Looking great Bill!

I gotta get mine finished!

• Like 1

Bill D
1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

Looking great Bill!

I gotta get mine finished!

Thanks Kevin.  I can't wait to see what you come up with to replace the caster setup

peter lena

@Bill D , you are doing a great job on that !  lots of the stuff that you are incorporating would be on my list , if i were building up such a  deck. think those  J/D  deck wheels , are the way to go , lots of the typical Chinese stuff, just does not stand up , also check out AGRI SUPPLY , on wheels . along with the correct grease , tough stuff. you are so far off the norm already , let your ideas keep it going . while you are at it , detail in your pto drive area , for ease of operation and function , don,t forget to re grease  those 2 pto drive belt bearings , that solid lube , makes the drive work with ease. detailed every point on my lever action , moves like a solid door hinge. lever start area , add washers on shaft end , next to battery , grease all washers , makes for a very solid smooth pto start , my 3 horses have it . if i were there , would have to have a bib on , how dare you , only kidding , pete

• Like 1

Bill D

Thanks for all the nice words Pete.  Here's another picture for you.  I hope to have it assembled next week.

KIMG1411.JPG

• Excellent 3

kpinnc

Looks awesome Bill!

I gotta hurry up and finish pop's tractor so I can finish my deck!

• Like 1

Bill D

Back together and ready to work.  I still need to cut down the old belt cover and paint it.  I don't usually run belt covers but I might need to on this one.  

KIMG1443.JPG

KIMG1441.JPG

KIMG1439.JPG

KIMG1434.JPG

KIMG1428.JPG

KIMG1429.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

peter lena

@Bill D  terrific job on that , if i may suggest , notice your last 2 photos , unsupported  long back belt area? added a single flat idler just about opposed center spindle drive  , also got an idler with wide rubber side shields , to easily remove and clean out before lucas xtra heavy  grease . put idler on back side toward rear of deck . have that on all my decks , stops that high speed belt bounce . just an idea, pete

Bill D

I mowed with it yesterday.  Great cut.  Air flow isn't great like @kpinnc's Exmark deck.  If I had been able to roll some baffles that would have helped a lot.  I am getting a lot of clipping discharge out of the front edge.  If I do something like this again I plan to use a Husqvarna or Exmark deck as a starting point.  Still, it's been a fun project.

• Like 2

1995 520H+96+97

Do you have some straight blades you could try?

Bill D
2 hours ago, 1995 520H+96+97 said:

Do you have some straight blades you could try?

No I don't.  It has new high lift blades on it.   There isn't an option for that style blade on this deck.

• Like 1

kpinnc

It looks outstanding to me! I would experiment with lower lift blades and see if it helps. In my opinion, you have plenty of baffeling in there. 

I ran mine this morning with no gage wheels. I do not recommend it! :D still, my wheel setup needs some love.

• Like 1

1995 520H+96+97

I assume you have 3/4" hole, 16 1/16 length.  Your blades look like they are even (flush) with the bottom of the deck.

image.png.9d24f768c2cd386f1466265cc00f6cce.png

Bill D
On 11/7/2021 at 2:18 AM, 1995 520H+96+97 said:

I assume you have 3/4" hole, 16 1/16 length.  Your blades look like they are even (flush) with the bottom of the deck.

image.png.9d24f768c2cd386f1466265cc00f6cce.png

This deck, like most commercial decks, uses blades with a 5/8" hole.   As you can see the blades are not the flat style like the wheel horse blades.

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 1

Bill D
13 hours ago, kpinnc said:

It looks outstanding to me! I would experiment with lower lift blades and see if it helps. In my opinion, you have plenty of baffeling in there. 

I ran mine this morning with no gage wheels. I do not recommend it! :D still, my wheel setup needs some love.

Still waiting to see what you come up with.  I'm picking up an Exmark walk behind later this week.  I'm going to do it again.  Don't ask me why.

• Like 2

Bill D
On 11/6/2021 at 9:04 AM, peter lena said:

@Bill D  terrific job on that , if i may suggest , notice your last 2 photos , unsupported  long back belt area? added a single flat idler just about opposed center spindle drive  , also got an idler with wide rubber side shields , to easily remove and clean out before lucas xtra heavy  grease . put idler on back side toward rear of deck . have that on all my decks , stops that high speed belt bounce . just an idea, pete

Thanks for the idea.  Doesn't seem to need it though.  The combo of a 5/8" belt and OEM style belt tensioner seems to have eliminated belt slap.

• Like 2

kpinnc
13 hours ago, Bill D said:

This deck, like most commercial decks, uses blades with a 5/8" hole.  The tips of the blades are actually about 3/4" below the lip of the deck.   Ad you can see the blades are not the flat style like the wheel horse blades.

I'm thinking something isn't right. My deck's leading edge is about 1/2 inch lower than the blades. It has extra 1/4 bushings to lower the blades, but I did not use them. I assume this is due to very little adjustment otherwise on a walk behind...

Your blades being 3/4 of an inch lower than the deck edge will completely defeat any baffling, and certainly throw clippings out the front. Any chance yours has spacers under the spindles?

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

Bill D
26 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I'm thinking something isn't right. My deck's leading edge is about 1/2 inch lower than the blades. It has extra 1/4 bushings to lower the blades, but I did not use them. I assume this is due to very little adjustment otherwise on a walk behind...

Your blades being 3/4 of an inch lower than the deck edge will completely defeat any baffling, and certainly throw clippings out the front. Any chance yours has spacers under the spindles?

My mistake, the front edge of the deck is 3/4" below the blade tips.

• Like 1

kpinnc
14 minutes ago, Bill D said:

My mistake, the front edge of the deck is 3/4" below the blade tips.

Ok, that sounds about right.

Well shucks! I thought we figured out what was wrong! :P

• Haha 1