Bill D

Bobcat Deck for my Horse

Bill D
18 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Bill that looks great! I'm betting you won't have as much clippings now on the left side with that baffle in place.

So far as reinforcement, mine has a 1 x 1/4 flat bar welded around the front lip from one side to the other. Whether you need it or not really depends on how many roots or other obstructions you have to contend with. 

Thanks Kevin.  I would have loved to put more baffles in like on your deck, but I don't have the proper tools.  I expect that adding the baffle along with high lift blades and reshaping the front end will improve air flow.  It's an older deck so I expected it to have some design issues that yours doesn't have.  Based on the cut quality it's still a huge improvement over the wheel horse deck.

kpinnc

I look forward to seeing it in action! :thumbs:

Bill D
5 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I look forward to seeing it in action! :thumbs:

I'm still waiting for a video of your deck!:)

kpinnc
7 minutes ago, Bill D said:

I'm still waiting for a video of your deck!:)

Yeah but I'm changing it over to a different wheel setup. I set the casters too far out and I can't get up close to things as much as needed. I'll get one up eventually.

Bill D
39 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Yeah but I'm changing it over to a different wheel setup. I set the casters too far out and I can't get up close to things as much as needed. I'll get one up eventually.

I look forward to pictures.  Based on my experience with this deck, wider gauge wheels may be needed.  I also had to angle the bar that connects to the leveling rod as the extension I made was hitting the tractor frame.

Edited by Bill D

peter lena

@Bill D like your attempt  of that deck save . couple of things that I  have changed over on my horse decks , notice the very long unsupported belt drive area? your front tensioner is fine , how about adding a  flat idler . just in line with the drive pulley  on the back side of the belt , lightly pushing that  belt bounce  in  toward center of deck ?  did that on 3 of mine , no belt bounce , why not , you have already made up lots of other ideas ?  polyurea (   recovering  )  grease, lucas , xtra heavy duty , 560 , flash point , anti sling , chassis grease in all my bearings , imagine , no bearing whine , and no failure , what a concept !  also did my pto bearings , same grease .  terrifying to purists , never intended to insult anyone , these 2 steps  are in regular use on my decks , many hours now , guess what ?  no noise or failures . just an idea , I also use a small fine file to sharpen my blades , oil spray to save edge . good luck with your set up , pete

• Like 2

Bill D

Thanks Pete.  I already took the spindles apart and made it possible to grease them.  I use the Lucas green grease.  It doesn't need the belt idler.  The deck belt is 5/8" and the tensioner tightens the belt to the point where there is no bounce.  It's getting new blades, but I like the idea of hand sharpening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bill D

Made some progress today.  Not my best welding job, but not my worst either.  The antiscalp wheels are a Husqvarna part.  I like the way they look.  Welded a 1" strip of 1/4" steel along the front edge to beef it up. 

Almost done with the fab work.  I have to weld a couple of small holes up then weld on tabs for the Trac Vac boot.  

I got new high lift blades for it.  I'm thinking about buying X Blade brackets and using the Gator blades I already have as well.  If I do that this thing will absolutely destroy leaves.

KIMG1366.JPG

KIMG1361.JPG

KIMG1360.JPG

KIMG1362.JPG

KIMG1365.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Bill D

More photos.

KIMG1358.JPG

KIMG1359.JPG

KIMG1366.JPG

KIMG1364.JPG

KIMG1363.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

kpinnc

That looks great! If those welds are bad looking, you should see mine! The cat keeps trying to cover stuff up that I weld! :P

That deck is gonna last for years! Very nice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bill D
15 hours ago, kpinnc said:

That looks great! If those welds are bad looking, you should see mine! The cat keeps trying to cover stuff up that I weld! :P

That deck is gonna last for years! Very nice!

Thanks for the compliment.  I thought your welds looked very good in the pictures you've posted.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Great work!  I don’t have to mow with my Horses, but if I did I’d likely do something similar!

• Like 1

peter lena

@Bill D nice build up on that , like the bombproof  build quality set up , pay attention to regular cleaning of that , get a lubrication soak on that under deck area , when steel is absorbing lubricant , it turns black , when you are at that stage , leave it upside down to hold the lubricant on the surface . do that on mine , in hot sun , really makes them last , small file sharpening , removes minimum metal , and makes blades really nice , oil coat when done . you are so far off the norm now , keep your make it better ideas going . good job , pete

Bill D

Thanks for all the kind words.  This project is coming out better than expected.  I plan to coat the underside with POR 15.  I like making stuff bulletproof when I can.  To that point, does anyone have a suggestion for upgrading the gauge wheels.  This deck is very heavy and could benefit from wider gauge wheels with bearings.  I appreciate any input in this area.  Thanks

• Like 1

johnnymag3

Harbor Fraud has nice roller bearing wheels in the small / medium range....

kpinnc

Surplus center has the exact same wheels that came with the 60 inch decks for cheap. Shipping is always a bit high, but the price of the wheel offsets it.

400lb capacity each.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Wheels/Wheel/Semi-Pneumatic-Wheels/8-x-1-75-Solid-Rubber-Tire-on-Steel-Wheel-1-5340.axd

Handy Don
Just now, kpinnc said:

Surplus center has the exact same wheels that came with the 60 inch decks for cheap. Shipping is always a bit high, but the price of the wheel offsets it.

400lb capacity each.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Wheels/Wheel/Semi-Pneumatic-Wheels/8-x-1-75-Solid-Rubber-Tire-on-Steel-Wheel-1-5340.axd

Only bummer with these is bushings not bearings. But I like the steel hubs.

Bill D

I've seen a couple of wheels online from  site called The Caster Guy.  Anyone here buy from that company?

peter lena

@Bill D you might check related size and mount of J/D  deck wheels , they have quite a selection of  rough cut mower deck wheels , also detail your bearing lubricant on those , lucas extra heavy duty , made for brutal work areas , pete

peter lena

@Bill D the more i think about your  , modified deck , you could easily fit on some zero turn type swivel wheels that would get it done . i would make a base mount for those , that would make installation and removal  easy , like a 1 pin slide in , to secure it . just an idea , pete

kpinnc
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Bill D the more i think about your  , modified deck , you could easily fit on some zero turn type swivel wheels that would get it done . i would make a base mount for those , that would make installation and removal  easy , like a 1 pin slide in , to secure it . just an idea , pete

Been done!

I've mowed with them, but am working on the fixed option now. Still gonna keep the casters for installing and removing though.

IMG_20210724_150154388.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@kpinnc nice set up there , always thought those rolling casters were the way to go for support and the side tracking involved with mowing . always looking for a way to make an issue go away . love the idea of outside the box , a nagging problem is a place to get creative . that's why when someone shows' a picture of an opportunity area , I usually make a comment about , while you are there ------, why not make the problem go away ?  good picture pete 

Bill D
7 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Been done!

I've mowed with them, but am working on the fixed option now. Still gonna keep the casters for installing and removing though.

IMG_20210724_150154388.jpg

Can't wait to see what you come up with.  I would consider replacing the front caster with an antiscalp wheel.  You could use the same bracket mount.  Just change them out when you want to remove the deck.

• Excellent 1

Bill D

Last of the fab work is done.  Clean up and paint next.  The Trac Vac boot was for a Deere, but it fit this deck like a glove.

KIMG1374.JPG

KIMG1376.JPG

KIMG1375.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ronhatch

No photo description available.

• Excellent 3