Jon925mn

1980 C-145 tow valve location

Jon925mn

Not currently running 1980 C-145 has locked wheels when pushing. Turn freely in opposite direction when jacked up.. Has sundstrand 90 and can't find tow valve. Mine doesn't have the top valve with rod. Only thing I see is the 5/16 extension that doesn't move.. Can someone post a picture of the valve on a 90-1173 LH. Thanks.

20210808_110448.jpg

squonk

I think it's right above the brake rod in your pic. The thingy with the hex shape. If it doesn't move, it's probably stuck. 

• Like 1

Jon925mn

That's what I tried to turn but that sucker doesn't move. From it's position in pic which way does it turn and how much? Don't want to force it and there's nothing to soak

as it's a sealed extension. Thank you.

squonk

You would turn it about a half turn the normal way you would loosen a bolt. I have seen them stuck really bad. If you need to move the tractor and you're on concrete or pavement, you can buy a couple of little furniture dollies from Harbor Freight for about $15

• Like 1

pfrederi

You are fortunate in that you have a square head to work on.  Many have a round shaft with a slot for a screw driver.  On yours you should try your favorite penetrating fluid a few taps on the end of the valve and then  8 pt socket

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
32 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

square head t

Paul, was this a custom made valve?     All the Sundstrands I have seen have the slotted round valve stem.   I have resorted to a small pipe wrench to loosen many of them.

• Like 1

roadapples

Had one like this. Sprayed penetrating oil on it couple times a day then gently tried to move. After about a week of this it loosened up. Takes patience...

squonk
10 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Paul, was this a custom made valve?     All the Sundstrands I have seen have the slotted round valve stem.   I have resorted to a small pipe wrench to loosen many of them.

The later ones have the hex. I have one under the bench with one.

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, squonk said:

The later ones have the hex. I have one under the bench with one.

Guess they finally learned the slotted round one was a terrible idea.  My newest piston to piston is a 75 and it is still slotted....

oldredrider

Got a '77 C-120 I'm working on...has the slotted type....aarrrggghhh! Obviously,  it's stuck.

• Sad 1

roadapples

The one I've got that took a week or more to loosen came with only one side of the slot. PO must have tried a really big screwdriver. I use a small pair of vice grips...

I'd thought about taking it out, grinding it down a little and welding a small nut on the end...

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 1

Gregor
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have resorted to a small pipe wrench to loosen many of them.

That's what I used after a week of soaking. It broke loose, but try it at your own risk. Might break something else.

• Like 1

Jon925mn

I got the bugger out and intact so I'm happy bout that. Can one put anti seize on threads to avoid repeat. Thanks guys for thoughts and tips.

20210808_220922.jpg

• Like 1

pfrederi
9 hours ago, Jon925mn said:

I got the bugger out and intact so I'm happy bout that. Can one put anti seize on threads to avoid repeat. Thanks guys for thoughts and tips.

Yes, a little never seize is a good thing.   Absolutely do not use teflon tape