vogli

The horse is dead...Long live the horse!

Snoopy11
On 8/6/2021 at 10:36 PM, vogli said:

I'm about to find out. Finally made some space, and hauled the transmission into my "work room". Emphasis more on the "work", since there's hardly any room.

Claustrophobes need not apply:

IMG_20210806_220928787.jpg

Imagine that... but in a 100' by 100' shop...

That'd be my workshop... 

And yes, by the way... I know exactly where everything is in the shop... UNTIL I go clean, straighten everything up and put everything 'in its place'... then... oddly... I can't find anything. 

I need to get a sign for the shop... "Warning: type 'A' personality at work..."

Then a screw or bolt flies away into the abyss... never to be found... and I really get unhappy... 

Don

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
On 8/14/2021 at 10:35 PM, vogli said:

puller kit

@OldWorkHorse has a nice kit. 

vogli

Alright, so my puller arrived end of last week, and in between cutting wood for a friend and myself, working up corn with the family, and dealing with various computer mishaps, I got all but the smallest of the bearings pulled:

IMG_20210822_142344317.jpg.92ad1210df5a269f6797def743f1d0c2.jpg

The kit I got is clearly not the highest quality, but after a bit of frustration and experimentation, I finally figured out how to make it work well. The puller had too much play, and wanted to twist, and it was tricky to position the feet on some of the small gears, such that they didn't slip off, and didn't obstruct the bearing being pulled. I liberally lubricated the collar, and that reduced the "twisting" tendency, enough that I could hold it steady with my left hand and work the nut with the wrench in my right. Before I use it again, I'll probably shim up the arms with some washers so that they have less lateral play. I used the first bearing I pulled as a spacer, to keep the feet from the lip of the rising bearing. Fortunately, most of the needle bearings were a similar size.

IMG_20210821_102428913.jpg.87c6d8a4d0813fe01884ea80ba55862c.jpg

Ultimately I'm pretty happy with it. It did the job (mostly), and didn't break the bank. Unfortunately, the smallest adapters were made in such a way that they were too short to pull the narrowest bearings. I've not yet tried to drive them out using a narrow punch or something.

The worse news is that somehow I got a kit where (what I assume are) the large axle bearings have an ID of 1", and I've got 1 1/8" axles. The large ball bearings seem right, and I've not yet done a full review of all the other bearings in the kit. I'm thinking I must have gotten my wires crossed when ordering, or some such. Anyway, so I'm not on the home stretch yet, but getting closer!

Edited by vogli
missing word.
  • Like 1

vogli

So for those not schooled in the art, as I was not, here's how this type of puller tool is used:

First, select the largest extension that fits inside the bearing you want pulled:

IMG_20210821_095940901.jpg.15f995e4000a4ce33fb829fdc74bf49b.jpg

If you've got one, use a bushing or previously pulled bearing as a spacer, so that the feet on the puller don't obstruct the bearing you are attempting to remove. Insert the extension through the middle of the bearing so that the edges are below the bottom of the bearing. Screw the spreader into it until the outer edges of the extension are tight against the inside of the bearing.

IMG_20210821_100202829.jpg.e680f9cab3db9e3f02c5067b1007835a.jpgIMG_20210821_100914173.jpg.ae1cd73c6db7c81089991861a55316a0.jpg

Screw the puller onto it, and tighten nut on the center shaft of the puller so that its feet are held firmly against the top edge of the gear. I also put the gear in a vice, to keep it from moving. Take a wrench, and tighten that center nut, holding onto the "shoulders" of the puller to counter the twist of the wrench. Turning that nut pulls the bearing up with the shaft, and the feet push the gear in the opposite direction. Sometimes it rises smoothly, other times it will build up pressure, and "pop" upward, but eventually the bearing will pull up and out of the enclosing gear:

IMG_20210821_102428913.jpgIMG_20210821_102900091.jpg.cf6923cc4461aeeee2a8d97efa1f7319.jpg

That's all there is to it. Rinse, lather, repeat!

Edited by vogli
reorder images
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, vogli said:

for those not schooled in the art, as I was not, here's how this type of puller tool is used:

6 hours ago, vogli said:

shim up the arms with some washers so that they have less lateral play

6 hours ago, vogli said:

position the feet

Thanks for posting the instructions. I've not seen one of those used yet. 

I like the idea of washers to take up the slack and reduce twist. Seems like there should be near zero slack there. 

Perhaps the feet would be better qualified for the job if they were sharper edged and maybe even had a slight convex to them so as to line up with the round pulling surface more accurately. 

Nice work so far. 

• Like 1

Handy Don
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Perhaps the feet would be better qualified for the job if they were sharper edged and maybe even had a slight convex to them so as to line up with the round pulling surface more accurately

Had the same thought. A bit of cautious work with a Dremel grindstone might be all that's needed to sharpen and curve the inside of the feet.

• Like 2

vogli

So got the last 2 bearings little bearings in the reduction gear. I was able to drive them out both out the far end, as someone suggested, using 2 stacked 3/8" sockets.

• Like 3

vogli

So, what I need, for 1 1/8" axles are 2 bearings  WH #1526 (2)  1"D,  1 3/8" OD, 1 1/8" ID,

and 2 axle seals WH #1213: 3/32" D, 1 3/8" OD, 1 1/8" ID

according to my measurements and:

If there's a next time, I think I'd probably just take everything out, measure, and try buying everything individually.

ebinmaine
On 8/28/2021 at 11:21 AM, vogli said:

If there's a next time, I think I'd probably just take everything out, measure, and try buying everything individually

There's certainly a fair bit of logic to doing that. One can inspect everything and order exactly what's needed. 

Far as the "wrong bearings", have you determined the cause?

Do you have the wrong/different transmission in?

Did you or someone else misidentify the transmission or even the tractor?

Did you order the correct kit and Lowell or his supplier made the error?

Have you contacted him?

If you don't need the bearings you have the option of selling them to another member or... IMHO a much better idea:

Find another tractor that can use them... And buy it. 

It's only practical right????

vogli
On 8/29/2021 at 5:22 PM, ebinmaine said:

There's certainly a fair bit of logic to doing that. One can inspect everything and order exactly what's needed. 

Far as the "wrong bearings", have you determined the cause?

Do you have the wrong/different transmission in?

Did you or someone else misidentify the transmission or even the tractor?

According to the serial number, it's a '73 12HP 8speed (right in between the raider and the c-120 models). I don't think that's wrong. I also don't think I'm wrong about the transmission (5073) The same transmission is used for 12HP models over a series of years, and even the one that is introduced the next year (5091) uses the same kit. The document on the site matches the transmission manuals from WH as well.

Did you order the correct kit and Lowell or his supplier made the error?

Have you contacted him?

I double checked, and I'm pretty certain I ordered the right kit, but I'm not going to claim that with certainty yet. I've emailed, but last I checked the site indicated they're at a show of some sort. Anyway, I'm not trying to complain, or call anyone out. I thought a kit might be best because I'm a WH transmission n00b. However, if I'd had to measure everything, I would have had to know exactly what I needed.

Also, might have been better to call first, so someone could have set me straight in advance :-)

Anyway, since I've got a replacement, I'm not really under any pressure, which has allowed me to enjoy the project.

If you don't need the bearings you have the option of selling them to another member or... IMHO a much better idea:

Find another tractor that can use them... And buy it. 

It's only practical right????

Hah. I'd have to convince the boss. "But honey, all folks at red square agree this is the best course of action..." :-)

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, vogli said:

set me straight in advance

Well that's a possibility but not a guarantee. :lol:

8 minutes ago, vogli said:

honey, all folks at red square agree this is the best course of action

I'm not one to speak on account of others.... But... I do believe ALL the folks here would agree. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

stevasaurus

I'm not sure what happened with your order, but I would think Lowell would take back the wrong ones and replace with the right ones.  :eusa-think:

Handy Don
4 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I'm not sure what happened with your order, but I would think Lowell would take back the wrong ones and replace with the right ones.  :eusa-think:

I made a mistake on an order from Lowell. It was replaced for the cost difference to the correct item plus I rightly paid for the extra shipping (return and correct item).

• Excellent 1