giddyap

"It's my thing" my concept revised

giddyap

DSC07880 (2).JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

Did you just cut and hand shape those fenders Jon?  They look perfect!

giddyap
22 hours ago, pullstart said:

Did you just cut and hand shape those fenders Jon?  

Thanks for asking but I'm no fabicator. I do believe in sharing, for what its worth here is a photo of what I did. I salvaged the sheet metal from a water heater. Its very flimsey and easy to cut but with a rivet every inch the fender became solid after installation. There are a number of ways to make the sides uniform   

DSC07865.JPG

• Like 2

Pullstart

My eyes must have been playing with me the other day.  Now I see what you’re saying, they’re riveted to the tub.  Fabricator or not, you’re making another cool custom!

• Thanks 1

giddyap

First ride is in the books,...now burn the book 

After trying everything I know I could not stop or even slow the drive belt to get it in gear. I fiddled with differnt belt stops in diffent positions to no avail. The belt was very tight because I pulled the engine with a turnbuckle and now it is too loose. Since the engine tie down bolts are hard to reach.  My next step is the remove the mounting plate with the engine bolted down and make slots in the plate. This will make adjusting the belt tension much easier.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, giddyap said:

The belt was very tight because I pulled the engine with a turnbuckle and now it is too loose. Since the engine tie down bolts are hard to reach.  My next step is the remove the mounting plate with the engine bolted down and make slots in the plate. This will make adjusting the belt tension much easier

I like the sliding plate idea.

I've found from past experience that there can be a VERY fine line when positioning an engine.

• Like 1

giddyap

My custom is within 1% of being completed but I had to put it on hold. With the comming of fall, I realized I needed to complete many of my summer projects around the house. Then with my daughter's birthday close to Halloween I thought the grandkids would enjoy a haunted hayride and so I fitted the trailor I made last year with benches. The 314-8 is new to me and will be used to push snow. 

DSC07904.JPG

DSC07903.JPG

DSC07906.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

giddyap

Final pictures of my completed custom, my 4th. The 301 Hemi was nothing like the 212. The governor could not be overriden, it had to be completely removed. I had to reinvent the throttle linkage all because I did not know how to join a couple of 212s, but now I know how. (looking for a new home)  

DSC08084.JPG

DSC08088.JPG

DSC08090.JPG

DSC08085.JPG

DSC08095.JPG

DSC08092.JPG

DSC08098.JPG

2engins.jpg

Edited by giddyap
addition
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

953 nut
On 9/17/2021 at 8:13 AM, giddyap said:

After trying everything I know I could not stop or even slow the drive belt to get it in gear.

Sorry I wasn't keeping up with this thread.  You nerd to mount a piece of angle iron under the full length of the drive belt, with the clutch pushed in the slack of the belt will fall onto the angle iron and stop.  Same concept as the belt guard.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, giddyap said:

completed custom, my 4th

As usual. Beautiful machine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snoopy11

:D

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

giddyap
55 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

You nerd to mount a piece of angle iron under the full length of the drive belt,

Here is a picture of the "stop belt" I used from "is this damper important"  E33E45F7-3ECF-47B6-9ABA-24E259EDF051.jpeg.0fbd1ceab7d9fc7a9cca906c89457a62.jpeg

• Like 2

953 nut
10 hours ago, giddyap said:

"is this damper important" 

It takes up some of the rapid movement of the spring when your foot comes off the clutch. As said previously, a piece of angle iron below the belt will solve your gear grinding problem.

This photo is on a 953.1779540373_102_3246(4).JPG.4133bab9948012ee818606704e0b44b9.JPG

Belt is slightly above angle iron when operating and slack is caught by it when the clutch is in.

Handy Don
20 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

This photo is on a 953.

Please help my curiosity and tell me what is being driven but this belt and pulley?!

Thanks.

image.png.cc262b28246cad647fd5d7e523002972.png

Edited by Handy Don

Maxwell-8
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Please help my curiosity and tell me what is being driven but this belt and pulley?!

Thanks.

a hydraulic pump

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
12 hours ago, giddyap said:

"is this damper important"

nope, and a pleasure to be rid off...

• Excellent 1

giddyap
8 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

nope, and a pleasure to be rid off

After I removed the damper from the clutch pulley the unintentional wheel stands stopped. At that time I also replaced the 6" tranny pulley with a 4" and shorter belt for a slightly faster tractor.  But the new belt was slightly long and created too much chatter. So, today it went under a 2 hour operation to replace the orginal parts except for the damper. My 314-8

DSC07904.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

kpinnc
On 12/4/2021 at 9:43 AM, Maxwell-8 said:

a hydraulic pump

I love it!

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 12/4/2021 at 9:43 AM, Maxwell-8 said:

a hydraulic pump

Ah! Downloaded the IPL to get more info and realized its one of the "self-contained" units like the HY options for other early WHs. Nifty bit of engineering, that.

• Like 2

Snoopy11

:D

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

giddyap
3 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Good answer Giddy...

Forgive me, :eusa-pray:I should have recognized your comment, but it is my constitutional right to remain silent.:techie-studyingbrown:  Sharing your bad experience to spare others is very noble and I really appreicate your warning. It is worth breaking my silence to mend any hard feelings I may have caused but then again I still did not answer your question. Now I must plead the 5th. I know my humor sucks,  but my apology is sincere. 

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
19 minutes ago, giddyap said:

Forgive me, :eusa-pray:I should have recognized your comment, but it is my constitutional right to remain silent.:techie-studyingbrown:  Sharing your bad experience to spare others is very noble and I really appreicate your warning. It is worth breaking my silence to mend any hard feelings I may have caused but then again I still did not answer your question. Now I must plead the 5th. I know my humor sucks,  but my apology is sincere. 

Oh no sir! Not at all... I was using humor myself. I know... that... if you wanted to answer... you would have... (I get it...)

:thumbs:

Don

• Haha 1

Snoopy11

@giddyap :bow-blue:B)

Note... powertrain comment removed... (no issue here)... and don't want to cause one! 

Don

Edited by Snoopy11