Felix

Splitting a sundstrad tranny

Felix

Hi I need to replace the circlip on the end of a drive shaft. Can the transmission case be easily split in half on the autos or is it a complete strip down of the hydraulic motor as well? 
looks like it might not be as easy as I thought😳 

ebinmaine

On my 1970 Charger hydro project tractor I had to split the transmission as well. 

The fluid pump does separate from the transmission just fine. Heavy, so use caution. You can leave the pump nearly where it is by hanging it from the steering wheel by a thick wire. 

The transmission halves then split alot like a manual. 

Do NOT use silicone for reassembly.

Proper gaskets are available from Wheelhorsepartsandmore.com. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Achto
2 hours ago, Felix said:

Can the transmission case be easily split in half on the autos

No need to remove the hydraulic motor. You can remove the right half of the tranny with out unbolting the left half from the tractor but, I find it easiest it remove the tranny from the tractor and then split it. The tranny will split just like a gear driven one and there are a lot less parts inside the gear case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

daveoman1966

Unless you've had the Sundstrand pump & motor rebuilt, you colud atleast open the pump for inspection.  It is, after all, pushing 50 and...without doubt...you'll find some internal wear issues.  Now would be the ideal time to address those issues.  To restore these Sundstrands is not a difficult endeavor and I have a couple of .pdf files to assist in the overhaul.  Here are examples of what you MAY find inside the pump.644976467_MOT001.JPG.a8430fbcd88749cd8d81aadc95fe13ac.JPG

218 (20).JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1