Bill D

Ariens GT20

Bill D

Does anyone here have experience with the Ariens GT20?  I have a friend from work that wants me to fix one for him.  @gwest_ca do you have a service manual?  Any and all input is appreciated.  Thanks.

WHX??

I think I have wrenched on one for a neighbor if it's the same tractor. If I recollect it had a KT in it.  Have you got a model?  What does it need? 

See if these manuals are applicable.

35065-AriensServiceManual_(1).pdf 63870-Ariens parts manual (1).pdf

Edited by WHX??

Bill D

Thanks for the manuals.  It's been sitting for 8+ years in a barn.  It needs new tires and who knows what else.  It has full hydraulic steering and a Kohler M20.  It also has a 60" deck.

WHX??
12 minutes ago, Bill D said:

full hydraulic steering

Yech thos can be a bugger to work on ...right up there with a Case PS & hydraulics. Leaky or busted fitting yer in for a project. 

The one I worked on has a front belt driven PTO. The lower PTO shaft actually runs through a sleeved hole in the front axel pivot. Then a splined drive shaft  with universals to the deck. Bearings were shot on the lower PTO support. Greasy mess but not too terrible to fix. 

Take it those are the right manuals? 

Edited by WHX??

Bill D

Those are the right manuals.  Thanks again.  First task will be getting it to crank over and see if it had compression on both cylinders.  Then go from there.  I hate working on anything where I have to remove the engine to clean out mouse nests or change a coil.  Hopefully this thing is worth the time to get it running.

WHX??

Your :text-welcomewave:

They are a beast of a tractor. Front and rear PTO, full hydraulics and some a three point hitch. 

Bill D

Update: Got it to run with an IV tank.  Drove it around the yard.  Hydro feels good and strong.  No leaks.  Hydraulic steering is nice.  Needs lots of TLC, fuel system work etc.  Does anyone know how to read this hour clock? Thanks.

KIMG1245.JPG

rjg854

I'm going to guess it has about 100 hours, and almost 50 minutes on it, if I'm reading it correctly.  The only thing that's hard to tell is how many times it has turned over :confusion-shrug:

Bill D
6 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I'm going to guess it has about 100 hours, and almost 50 minutes on it, if I'm reading it correctly.  The only thing that's hard to tell is how many times it has turned over :confusion-shrug:

Thanks for the input.  Based on the condition of the tractor it may have turned over at least once.

Handy Don
22 hours ago, Bill D said:

Update: Got it to run with an IV tank.  Drove it around the yard.  Hydro feels good and strong.  No leaks.  Hydraulic steering is nice.  Needs lots of TLC, fuel system work etc.  Does anyone know how to read this hour clock? Thanks.

KIMG1245.JPG

The red sections are to remind the user of service intervals.

R Scheer

From a cub cadet forum.

White hand shows the meter is working

Red hand is for maintence, it makes a full cycle every 60 hours

Yellow hand makes a full cycle every 600 hours. 

From your picture the Yellow hand is showing 110 hours.  (Or maybe 710, or 1310,  etc)

• Thanks 1