csvt99

Help! 314-8 won't run

csvt99

Well I cleaned the tank and that went very well. Except for the part where my nozzle came off and fell in the tank. I almost had it out and then something happened and it disappeared in the the tank🤷‍♂️. Not sure what happened but I laugh and will worry about it another day😏

Meanwhile, the metal fuel line is pretty rusty in the one end. I would replace it but it doesn't look like they make the part anymore so I'm letting it soak in oil overnight. Pics are below.

Also, check out the white wire leading from the ignition module. The insulation is hanging off and it looks like it could be damaged. Perhaps that was the cause of my problem all along....

PXL_20210820_000500114.jpg

PXL_20210820_000547288.jpg

PXL_20210820_001043888.jpg

csvt99

The fuel valve coming off the tank was corroded pretty bad. I have all new parts on order, entirely new fuel system with clear line, 2 filters, new pump, plus the ignition lead which looked to be in bad shape. I had to reuse the metal fuel line going through the engine cover, and I will also touch up the carb but it looks really clean. Also got a new set of blades. Should hopefully have her back up and running next weekend. 

• Like 1

csvt99

Well I got the new fuel system in. I'm still waiting on the kill switch so I put electrical tape on the old. It is getting fuel but it still isn't starting. When it turns over it will still go "click click click" and then stop clicking but keeps turning over. That doesn't sound quite right....is there a way to disable the oil sentry? I'm going to try disconnecting it but that might keep it from starting all together? 

953 nut
16 minutes ago, csvt99 said:

.is there a way to disable the oil sentry?

Taking a look at the drawings Garry @gwest_ca supplied the oil pressure switch give you a warning light for low oil pressure, nothing more. There should be a plug on the wires from the engine, unplugging this will disconnect the charging system, oil sentry and the kill wire. None of these will prevent your engine from cranking over or running.

25 minutes ago, csvt99 said:

When it turns over it will still go "click click click" and then stop clicking but keeps turning over.

Is it your solenoid that is clicking. You may want to charge the battery and clean and tighten all of your connections including grounds.

csvt99
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Taking a look at the drawings Garry @gwest_ca supplied the oil pressure switch give you a warning light for low oil pressure, nothing more. There should be a plug on the wires from the engine, unplugging this will disconnect the charging system, oil sentry and the kill wire. None of these will prevent your engine from cranking over or running.

Is it your solenoid that is clicking. You may want to charge the battery and clean and tighten all of your connections including grounds.

I charged the battery overnight and just decided to hit the key again before I went to church. It popped right off without even choking or turning over for more than one second. I know this battery is weak so I'll run it more tomorrow to find out what is going on. Thanks for all the help! 

• Like 1

csvt99

Update. I had the battery tested and it tested bad, or so they said. It was manufactured in 2018. So I replaced it. Popped off just fine this morning. I ran in outside a bit, let it idle for about 5-10 minutes. I set my ramps up in my garage preparing to change the blades, and now it won't start. Turns over but just won't start .It is behaving exactly as it did before the new battery and fuel system. It seems like perhaps it's not getting fuel, however I can see it being sucked up through the clear fuel line and filter when it cranks. I just replaced the plug a few weeks ago when the issues first began which is gapped per spec 0.040. I checked the plug per attached photo. Any other ideas? Plug wire?

16309458256217478799315872659144.jpg

csvt99

I replaced the ignition module today. This seems to have fixed the problem. My suspicion is the contact metal on the spark plug wire was bad. I will need to go through a couple of start cycles and mow at least once or twice to verify so fingers crossed. If this doesn't work I will be replacing the oil sensor next.