clarsona5955409

Wheel Horse 416-8 Transmission Belt

clarsona5955409

I have a Wheel Horse 416-8 with a Kholer 16 hp Motor and a 8 speed Trans. I am looking for a Transmission Belt Because mine was last replaced by my grandfather years ago. Any other info needed I would he happy to give. Thanks in advance

Edited by clarsona5955409
  • Like 1

8ntruck

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the forum.  Bunch of good folks here.  Somebody will be along soon with an answer.

You might be able to find the answer yourself in the manuals section of the forum.  I think there is a list of belts there somewhere, and if you have the model number, you can probably find an owner's manual for your tractor.

Good luck and have fun.

gwest_ca

Drive belt has been added to this page. Click on the fuzzy picture in the link.

• Like 2

Lee1977
3 hours ago, clarsona5955409 said:

I have a Wheel Horse 416-8 with a Kholer 16 hp Motor and a 8 speed Trans. I am looking for a Transmission Belt Because mine was last replaced by my grandfather years ago. Any other info needed I would he happy to give. Thanks in advance

Belt no. 7473  ( 5/8" x 82") I have had good luck with the blue belts from Tractor Supply. Put one on my 520-H a year ago and it's doing great at about half the price of Toro.

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS:

squonk

Napa  4L820W

• Like 1

JAinVA

For what it's worth. I just went through this on 2 of my 418-8  tractors. The  82" belt  length is for the hydros. The 416 -8 with the Kohler uses a 5/8" 83" belt and the Onan powered 416-8 uses a 5/8-84" belt. Go ahead get what the manuals say and partstree as well and let us know how this works for you The Onan is located further forward on the frame than a Kohler so it needs a longer belt

Edited by JAinVA

JCM

Great info @JAinVA      :handgestures-thumbup:

clarsona5955409
On 7/29/2021 at 5:42 PM, JAinVA said:

For what it's worth. I just went through this on 2 of my 418-8  tractors. The  82" belt  length is for the hydros. The 416 -8 with the Kohler uses a 5/8" 83" belt and the Onan powered 416-8 uses a 5/8-84" belt. Go ahead get what the manuals say and partstree as well and let us know how this works for you The Onan is located further forward on the frame than a Kohler so it needs a longer belt

I ended up going for a dayco belt because it was what I had readily available to purchase. I used the Toro part number to cross reference and found L582 is the part number for the belt from them and it seemed to work great. Got it all installed and can drive around again to mow. 👍

Tuneup

If you start to notice that the clutch action is much more sensitive - jerking the tractor into movement, it's likely that the belt is not kevlar coated. If it's a Dayco, likely a non-coated belt. That coating allows for some slippage in engagement that you don't appreciate until you lose it. Keep it in mind.

• Thanks 1

tom2p

If you can find a 'real' Toro / Wheel Horse OEM belt - they are the way to go 

molded / wrapped belts - with the name and numbers stamped (not printed) in the belt 

I don't know who manufactured belts for Wheel Horse - but the materials and quality control were first rate 

some are black - some are off -white 

I believe the OEM drive belts with the off-white cover allow for smoother engagement when the clutch is released 

54396A19-D908-4F10-8B26-D9336D0A38A6.jpeg

B4F1742B-64C9-4AE1-8E42-BD27463F16F1.jpeg

Edited by tom2p

Bill D
On 7/29/2021 at 7:24 AM, squonk said:

Napa  4L820W

Shouldn't that be 5L?  I thought all drive belts were 5/8"?

squonk
6 hours ago, Bill D said:

Shouldn't that be 5L?  I thought all drive belts were 5/8"?

Yup. My mistake :chores-mop: