T-Mo

My "New" Ford 8N

rjg854

:handgestures-thumbupright: looks nice, what are your plans for it?

T-Mo

I have some 3 point attachments that I picked up for my 2N, so both the 2N and 8N will see duty with those attachments.  I want to add more attachments as time goes by.  Right now, I have a back blade, a rear reversible scoop, a two bottom moldboard plow, and a boom pole.  I have plans to add a brush hog, a 3 point carrier or maybe a 3 point fork lift.

• Like 5

OutdoorEnvy

Very cool.  If I ever get the space an old bigger tractor of some kind is on my wish list.  This looks really good though.  In spite of the rushed repairs and modifications.

pfrederi

Nice tractor.  My brother has had an 8N for 40 years.  Older style front mount distributor (real PIA to work on that).  Very reliable tractor.  Of course I am prejudiced i like my Case VAC she has live hydraulics. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, T-Mo said:

a back blade, a rear reversible scoop

What's the difference between these two things?

Good find on the 8N. 

RandyLittrell
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

What's the difference between these two things?

Good find on the 8N. 

Scoop is like this, and you can pick up dirt or clean out things. Blade is just a rear 3 point blade. 

This is a new pic and I'm sure Terry has an older style. 

Randy

e4e421ad130e9058d22f771ab252cce979a1b046_098920310.jpg

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Good looking tractor. We also have an 8N and a 2N…our 2N is what we believe to be a 47, but it has been fitted with a late 8N side distributor engine, and our 8N is a 49 but has been fitted at some time with the engine out of a 1944 2N. Good little tractors, our 8N is our main mowing tractor around here. Just the perfect size for an all around chore tractor. Good luck with it

• Like 1

T-Mo

The rear scoop I have is a Ford 19-142 scoop.  I picked it up a few weeks back.  In the Series 706 parts book attached to this post, it covers the 19-142 scoop that I have.

Ford Tractor Scoop 1.jpeg

Ford Tractor Scoop 2.jpeg

Ford Reversible Scoop - Series 706 - Master Parts Book.pdf

• Like 3

T-Mo

And, I have deciphered the serial number on the engine block enough to know it’s a late 2N engine block. And with certain features the tractor itself is late ‘47 or early ‘48. Definitely not a ‘50 to ‘52.  Someone has changed out the timing cover, distributor, and cam to add the side distributor.  I would rather it was left alone as a front mount so the alternator could have been mounted on the right side and the oil filler tube would have been left alone and not smashed against the block to allow the alternator to be mounted on the left side.

• Like 1

Zeek

Nice I love those and the Gold Jubilees. @T-MoWhat trailer brand is that and what is the GVWR? I'm going to get one at some point and yours is pretty nice. I like that it has the three ramps for smaller stuff.

T-Mo

The trailer I ordered and picked up off the lot from Trailer Express in Sikeston, Missouri.  It's a TE18, 83 inches wide by 18 foot long.  Special things I had put on it when I ordered it, a third ramp for loading narrow front tractors, surge brakes so I can use any truck to tow with it, spare tire and spare tire mount, D-rings....and the rest was standard.  It's a 7500 lb GVWR trailer.  I had thought about ordering a 10,000 lb one, but I really didn't want to be towing that much, though my '99 F250 is certainly capable of handling it, but my '04 Dodge Ram with the 5 speed, not so much.  With the third ramp, I'm able to haul garden tractors, lawn tractors and zero turns (I have done it several times) and with the 18 foot length, I can get two good size garden tractors on it.

I would have love a Jubilee or any NAA, but those are harder to find in a decent price range that don't require a lot of work.  What would have been really nice is a Power Master 900 series Ford.

Gregor

I always did like the looks of the N's. I thought if I ever had the room for a larger tractor, that's what it would be. :thumbs:

RandyLittrell
On 7/29/2021 at 7:33 AM, T-Mo said:

The trailer I ordered and picked up off the lot from Trailer Express in Sikeston, Missouri.  It's a TE18, 83 inches wide by 18 foot long.  Special things I had put on it when I ordered it, a third ramp for loading narrow front tractors, surge brakes so I can use any truck to tow with it, spare tire and spare tire mount, D-rings....and the rest was standard.  It's a 7500 lb GVWR trailer.  I had thought about ordering a 10,000 lb one, but I really didn't want to be towing that much, though my '99 F250 is certainly capable of handling it, but my '04 Dodge Ram with the 5 speed, not so much.  With the third ramp, I'm able to haul garden tractors, lawn tractors and zero turns (I have done it several times) and with the 18 foot length, I can get two good size garden tractors on it.

I would have love a Jubilee or any NAA, but those are harder to find in a decent price range that don't require a lot of work.  What would have been really nice is a Power Master 900 series Ford.

My 18 footer has pretty much the same specs and I bought it in 1992, best money I ever spent!! I can still get more money out of it now than what I paid for it.

It looks really nice Terry! 

Randy

Shed

Just picked this up myself side mount it was in the aaca museum friend bought from them and I got it from him so it's a nice little tractor doesn't run had 3 point problems all the normal 8n stuff

IMG_20210921_123108652.jpg

T-Mo

Update on this 8N. It's sort of a Frankenstein tractor.  From certain features, it's a 1947 8N, which the 8N came out in late 1947.  By 1948, Ford had made some minor changes that this one does not have, so it's a 1947. What gets confusing is, everyone thinks it's a mid-50 to 52 due to the side distributor.  Up to then, the 8N had a front mount distributor.  To further muddied the waters, the serial number on the engine block, makes the engine a 2N engine, which also should have a front mount distributor.  Somewhere in it's life the front mount distributor has been replaced with a side distributor.  To get that to happen, someone had to change out the cam gear and timing cover, and make brackets to move the generator ( in this case, an alternator) to the left side.  To get the alternator on the left side, they had to push the oil filler tube against the engine block.  A true side distributor 8N engine will have the oil filler tube mover back to make room for the generator or alternator.  It will also have an access cover on the right rear of the engine to see timing marks.  A front mount engine does not have that since there is only one way to put in a front mount distributor.  This engine does not have that access to the flywheel timing marks.

When I got this 8N, it ran, but ran poorly due to being out of time.  The previous owner put in a new distributor, points, distributor cap and coil ( which is also mounted behind the dash since there is no place to mount it where it should be, this being a 2N engine).  After fiddling around with it and putting in new spark plugs, it now runs a lot better.

I bought a new radiator as this one is shot, ordered a new thermostat, and the tractor will get a new coat of gray and red paint when it's finished.  For now, a temporarily gas tank it's on it, to run it and drive it around a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1