Sign in to follow this  
TLWheelHorse

Dirt In Trans??

TLWheelHorse

I checked my trans fluid and it was a rust/milky color. I guess the previous owner got water in there...

Anyways, i drained the fluid and it looks like there was dirt on the drain and fill plug. I stuck my finger the in the fill plug and got dirt on my finger.

How do i clean the dirt out before i put the new fluid in?

Should i put the fluid in and re-drain it?

Thanks

Coadster32

The way I see it, the dirt is already in there. I would try to flush it out the best you can, and then fill-r-up and use her. You might also try a local car repair shop. Perhaps they can do a flush on it for you. Good luck.

TLWheelHorse

I used a small paint brush in the fill hole and pushed all the dirt i possibly could to the drain hole. Alot of brown chunky stuff came out.

I have it sitting on ramps to drain the last of it out. I may use some "no name" brand oil to flush it, then refill it with the amsoil i bought for it originally.

If anyone else has idea's or thoughts, please let me know!!

Sparky

I wonder if the "dirt" is actually rust specks that have developed from the water in the tranny.

Mike.........

sorekiwi

There's been a lot of posts in the past about flushing transmissions.

I use Kerosene or ATF or a mixture of both. Usually I'll put in the kero, lift the rear wheels off the ground, disconnect the belt and turn the box over by hand for a while. Drain amd fill with gearbox oil. If it was really nasty, I'll drive it round a bit and drain and refill it again.

BTW, I assume we are talking about a manual trans?

can whlvr

From my expeiance with opening up tranny,there is lots of gunk and crud in there and you need to use some kind of thinning agent,like kerosene,i use paint thinner and like sorekiwi said lift the machine up and i acually run the tractor for a while,drain new fluid then drive around for a while and change the fluid again so that all the solv ents are squeezed out,sounds extreme but 90 weight gear oil isnt too expensive compared too rebuilding the tranny.

TLWheelHorse

Yes, it is an 8 speed tranny.

It may not actually be dirt... but it looks just like it and also has a gritty texture. It may be old oil/water/rust/dirt combined..

I will put some kerosene in it to clean it. Will this hurt anything? Will it dry out any seals?

What about mineral spirits?

I have some extra 75w-90 oil, ill put that in there and drive it around till its warm. Then i will drain it and put the 75w-140 amsoil in it.

Thanks for the help!

sorekiwi

I will put some kerosene in it to clean it. Will this hurt anything? Will it dry out any seals?

What about mineral spirits?

Mineral spirits will work fine too. It shouldnt hurt anything, but it wont lubricate well either, so take it easy. If you wanted to drive the tractor around with the kero in it, I would at least add some oil for some lubrication to the bearings, and I wouldnt work it hard...

I dont thimk the solvent itself will harm the seals, but loosening up all the crud may cause some nastyness to get to them. I'd do the flush, and if it starts leaking replace the seals as needed.

Good luck!

HorseFixer

The very best thing to do is open the thing up and "GO FOR IT" Yeah I know its a pisser and a dirt nasty job but how are you really gonna clean it up right unless you do? Getting all that rust mung a drool out of there will pay off in the long haul anyway that is the best way!

If you dont want to do that then fill the tranny with kerosene or stoddard solvent and run it around and try and stir up and loosen and then drain it out a couple times and then refill with Synthetic base gear lube. Synthetic lube is very very high in cleaning agents and detergents and will disolve and loosen alot of that crud over time. I would run the tractor for a year and then drain and change the lubricant.

Another thing! Replace that shifter boot and keep the tractor covered and out of the rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what caused the water to get in there to begin with! <_< Good Luck!

sorekiwi

If you dont want to do that then fill the tranny with kerosene or stoddard solvent and run it around and try and stir up and loosen and then drain it out a couple times and then refill with Synthetic base gear lube. Synthetic lube is very very high in cleaning agents and detergents and will disolve and loosen alot of that crud over time. I would run the tractor for a year and then drain and change the lubricant.

Just my opinion, but I wouldnt run the tractor around much with just kero or mineral spirits in the box - it needs lube in the bearings if you are going to load it up. I'd maybe do a 50/50 mix of solvent and oil, and run it around lightly to stir things up, but I certainly wouldnt work the tractor hard.

Today I drained the box on a 654 I aquired recently. I just drained it and refilled it with gear lube. I'm going to work it for a couple of days and then drain and refill again.

HorseFixer

That's correct! Do not work tractor hard or long during flushing! :thumbs: As I mentioned earlier the best way is to take apart and flush, clean and inspect parts! :thumbs2:

Rod(NASNUT)

That is what I would do take it apart and clean it out then you know it is clean :thumbs: The tear down is not hard if the hubs come off. Get new seals and you are good to go :thumbs2:

can whlvr

Its definitly the best way to tear apart,it is a good time to inspect the gears for wear,and you will get all the crap out,also a good time to replace the seals,its a lot easier when its apart,and when i suggested running the tranny with paint thinner do it up on blocks so no weight is on the bearings or gears,this is more for trannys that have been taken care of that arent too grungy.