Oldcpecdr

1966 Craftsman

Oldcpecdr

Didn't find any new Horses for sale but did stumble across this if anyone is a Craftsman/Sears collector. The 1,000 asking price seems a little high without even

a deck but seller  says  his Dad  garaged it for 55 years. Pics attached... if anyone makes a deal I can pick it up and store it at my shop for a bit. Anyone know who made this in 1966 ?

Is it part of the Suburban line ?

Mike B

sears 1.jpg

sears3.jpg

sears4.jpg

Edited by Oldcpecdr
  • Like 1

Stepney

Good old Super Suburban (SS) 12.. they came with chrome hubcaps and a lighter, kind of like a WH Electro at the time. 

One of my favorite looking tractors. Getting a little scarce in good shape.. pretty steep IMO but it would clean up nice. Good rival for a WH IMO. 

OutdoorEnvy

It looks good and I like the color scheme.  Does seem high in price at face value though but I have no idea how rare or not it is.  I don't recall seeing one in that color though so if that's original maybe it's rare? 

Jeff-C175

I don't know who made it but I just this Spring found a feller who was elated to get the color matching chain saw I had.  I gave it to him no charge.  It was worth the smile on his face.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44

I believe that was made by Roper

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

Stepney

Yes those are Roper tractors, and that one is most likely a 1968 model. 

Mike'sHorseBarn

That's a little rich for my blood. Keep in mind that tecumseh has the solid state ignition module and if it goes bad you're in trouble. There is a way to fix it, but it isn't easy to do.

• Like 1

WHX??
22 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

That's a little rich for my blood. Keep in mind that tecumseh has the solid state ignition module and if it goes bad you're in trouble. There is a way to fix it, but it isn't easy to do.

Is that a SG belt guard I see Mike?  On a tecky? 

Mike'sHorseBarn

Yep, the older Tecumseh's had them. I've had a couple like that. 

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Guess I never knew teckys had them. So why did they go with SS ignition? High tech way at the time? 

Mike'sHorseBarn
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

Guess I never knew teckys had them. So why did they go with SS ignition? High tech way at the time? 

Yea they were only on the 10hp and up engines of the time. All massey ferguson GT's except for the 14 and 16 came with techys and the older ones had starter generators. I guess tecumseh wanted to advertise trouble free ignition, which they were good modules, but they don't make them anymore. If you find one NOS it's still $200+ and it's still a 60 year old electronic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
On 7/27/2021 at 8:43 AM, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Is this the engine that I've seen on YouTube where people are taking some sort of an ABS sensor and an L bracket and "retrofitting"  them?

• Like 1

slim67
On 7/26/2021 at 11:22 PM, oliver2-44 said:

I believe that was made you Roper

It was . Earlier suburbans were made by David Bradley

Jeff-C175

Roper must have been their 'go-to' for a long time.  I had a mid 70s Craftsman in the 'mustard and white' colors that was a Roper also.

Crazyredhorse

reminds me of the xmarks at work 800 dollar computers going out on them. give me a carb tractor with points anyday

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Crazyredhorse said:

..... give me a carb ((whatever)) with points anyday

.....which is why I bought a 35+ year old truck.....

Mike'sHorseBarn
On 8/5/2021 at 11:07 AM, ebinmaine said:

Is this the engine that I've seen on YouTube where people are taking some sort of an ABS sensor and an L bracket and "retrofitting"  them?

Yep it is

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Yep it is

I think somebody was putting a kit out for a few years but has stopped now. 

Doesn't look like too awful bad of a conversion to do for somebody with mechanical ability.

T-Mo

The '66 and '67 John Deere 112, which had the 10 hp Tecumseh, had the S/Gs on them.

• Like 1