Gregor

Another Massey

Gregor

I am already compiling a list of parts I need for this build. The pic below shows a rubber protective boot, (I guess), on one arm of the PTO. I would like another one, but I don't even know what to call it, to go searching for one. Are these pretty generic, or are they specific to the 3-point hitch? Thank for any info. Greg

222409008_protectiveboot.jpg.cea66365f3a09b49f18f5bc9ee3aa7c2.jpg

rjg854

I'm not sure exactly how you do it, :scratchead: but you take a picture of what you have and do a search using that picture.  It should come up with results of similar items. 

• Thanks 1

Gregor

Got the Massey into the garage.

New Plug, cleaned the points, gap was fine. New battery, and new battery cables. Hooked up a remote fuel source, as the tank needs cleaning inside. It's  not rusty inside, just has some crud. Changed oil.  Hit the key, nuttin, I by-passed the brake safety switch, which is the only safety switch on this tractor, still, nuttin,  I did have 12 V at the coil. I will have to investigate the start circuit a bit more.

I have talked before about how handy an endoscope can be. Here are pics from the scope as taken through the drain plug hole. At least I know my dipper is in tact. Balance gears also seem to be present.  Looks pretty clean inside to me.

PHO00000.JPG.86a1e5ad0f35190cc1820f724188c327.JPGPHO00001.JPG.1d3413516d52cbc45a613dea7d15d7e3.JPGPHO00002.JPG.f9f051b39f0a902af5b17828c83c3e8e.JPGPHO00003.JPG.bb5d4a786c4e8f1ee9cdf6f82e2feac8.JPG

I hooked my jump pack to the starter, and it fired up. Runs a little rough, won't idle, and seems to like about 1/2 choke. Probably needs carb work.That's ok, I have lots of carbs.I have it hooked to a 1/2 gallon fuel tank. When it burnt through that, I changed the oil again, this time adding a little Rislone engine treatment. When It burns through another 1/2 tank, I will change the oil again. Maybe over-kill but hey, it's only money, and I like to be thorough. Which brings me to a question about oil, but I will post that in the engines topic.   I blocked up the rear end and tested the 2 speed Sunstrand hydro. Seems to be ok, but I'll know more when I get it moving under it's own fuel source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oiAQqn0qZQ

• Like 3

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

oliver2-44
On 7/25/2021 at 4:26 PM, Gregor said:

I blocked up the rear end and tested the 2 speed Sunstrand hydro. 

@Gregor How does the 2 speed work? Is it a 2 speed geared rear end with a standard Sundstrand Hydro like a Wheelhorse has?

Gregor

I wish I could answer your question, but I just don't know that much about Hydro transmissions. Or any transmission for that matter.  It has a high / low selector lever, along with the typical infinite speed lever, like any hydro. I do know the top speed for this tractor is 9 MPH. It moves right along for a garden tractor.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable on hydros will chime in, and know the answer.

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175
On 7/25/2021 at 7:58 AM, rjg854 said:

It should come up with results of similar items. 

In the case of that part he's looking for I'm afraid that an image search of similar might come up with some rather unsavory results!  

Might want to make sure that "Safe Search" is turned on!

On 7/25/2021 at 7:49 AM, Gregor said:

rubber protective boot

Could that be vinyl Greg?  Vinyl caps come in all sizes, shapes, and colors...

https://www.amazon.com/Protective-Caps/b?ie=UTF8&node=4650341011

https://www.mcmaster.com/vinyl-pipe-caps/

Edited by Jeff-C175

oliver2-44

With just the head on picture it’s hard to tell, but that rubber cover sure looks similar to a cover for a trailer hitch ball 

• Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat: