sgtsampay

What makes a C-160 Hydro....

clueless
13 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

I’ll say it again, Kohler parts if, and that’s a big if available, are much costlier than Onan parts. For example, a genuine Kohler piston for my K341 would be more expensive than a set of pistons with rings and rods for P220g Onan. This is one of those often repeated things that people believe. Now if you want aftermarket, yes the Kohler has a much larger parts source. The parts won’t be Kohler but China or if your lucky like me, Taiwan. I pulled my 216 down for decarb and valve maintenance last winter and parts from Boomer were reasonable. This 341 I’m completely rebuilding now has parts sourced from Clark Racing. I had to go aftermarket. A genuine Kohler piston/rings/and rod would have been 600.00 minimum and the sizes I needed are NLA. And that’s one hole!

image.jpg

Just think what those Onan parts will cost you in 20 years and I'm pretty sure they won't be original eather.

WheelhorseBob
13 minutes ago, clueless said:

Just think what those Onan parts will cost you in 20 years and I'm pretty sure they won't be original eather.

I have two Kohler magnums that are newer than my Onan p216. Your point?

sgtsampay

Thank you everyone for the responses. I enjoyed them all and learned things.

mad far as the k341. Ot having an oil pump, I knew that but my slop is very low except for the end of the lawn which is about a 15ft long much steeper incline. I go up and down and or even across it without having to balance the tractor. So it can’t be that steep. You guys know what I’m talking about. A part so steep that I would have to sit on the fender just to balance the tractor. 

tom2p
19 hours ago, sgtsampay said:

Thank you everyone for the responses. I enjoyed them all and learned things.

mad far as the k341. Ot having an oil pump, I knew that but my slop is very low except for the end of the lawn which is about a 15ft long much steeper incline. I go up and down and or even across it without having to balance the tractor. So it can’t be that steep. You guys know what I’m talking about. A part so steep that I would have to sit on the fender just to balance the tractor. 

K341 or similar Kohler should be fine as long as slope is not too steep and/or tractor is not run continuously too long on a slope 

good portion of our property is a slope - cut it for years with a 312-8 (Kohler Magnum 12) ... still do on occasion ... (pictured below)  

crankcase holds 2.5 qts so this may figure into the ability to run on mild slopes 

312-8 has 800+ hours and runs well ... uses very little oil ... (almost none)

E9ECCC4D-433D-4EC7-8080-8085AED26B33.jpeg