sgtsampay

What makes a C-160 Hydro....

sgtsampay

Hello everyone. Long time but I'm back with yet, another  wheelhorse. This time its a 76 C-160 Hydro. Its in pretty good shape and i bought it from another member, on this site. Anyways, I have been looking on the forum for the answer to my question on what makes this tractor combo so sought after? Whats so great about it? I'm just curious to hear everyone's thoughts and ideas. Thanks!

• Like 1

pfrederi

K341 reliable powerful engine.  No fancy electrical stuff to cause issues like newer units.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

Lee1977

The C-160 whether a hydro or an 8 speed is everything you need and nothing you don't. The early C-series are a.so the easier to change equipment then the later tractors

• Excellent 4

ZXT

Powerful, capable, easy to work on, attachment interchange..

Shall I go on?

I have one and can say that it is an excellent machine. Any time I need to use it, I just hop on it and go. It has easily been the most reliable garden tractor I have used.

Edited by ZXT
  • Excellent 2

roadapples

And the best looking too...:teasing-tease:

• Like 4

Darb1964

I recently acquired a c_161 A haven't looked up the year, it has the tool box under the seat. Just a great looking tractor, everything is easily accessible. The single sixteen is a power house

IMG_20210423_170607.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Herder

C160 - An amazing little tractor!!! 

IMG_1411.JPG.c6f2b837724f521acb9d7a6af043adb8.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

squonk

Better paint and sheet metal than the newer ones. No stupid lights, crappy 9 pin connectors, ease of attachment swapping, reliable Kohler power, gas tank on the hood stand so no long cranking issues.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

sgtsampay

Thank you all for replying to my post. Now I have another question.

what is the different in power between the Kohler k341 and like the Onan p220g?

like 3footpounds? Sure 4jp but is that even noticeable? Couldn’t a k341 run a 48 or 60in deck well?

also, when I’m mowing the steep part of the yard anout 15 long and the mower deck is spinning, even at full throttle, the Kohler bogs down a little. Not a lot but it totally gives a growls. The deck I currently have is a very old 36in with loud spindles. 

any feedback you guys? 

clueless

Low maintenance, does everything you need it to do with out a lot of money spent, tough as nails and easy on the eyes. Wait that's the perfect wife but their harder to find than a C-160 :handgestures-thumbupright:

ohiofarmer

One very big difference is fuel usage. Those P220 and the p16 are thirsty.  The 520 also has huge roller bearings in the front wheels, but thin sheet metal in the transmission tunnel. Wallow out the metal around the idler pulley  and it is a grand mess. The seat can break off the tunnel metal as well.

It is just a good idea to remove the belt guard and look at every part that moves and is hidden underneath. Once or twice a year.I own both tractors, but the 520 is equipped with a predator 420cc

sgtsampay

I didn’t realize the 520 had so many weakness.

what are the weakness of the c160? 

also, how does the fuel consumption compared between the p220 and like the k301? Anyone know? 

WheelhorseBob

Ok let’s reel this in. The 520H or 8 is a fantastic machine in its own right. I own both a 520 and soon to be two C161’s. Both an eight speed and a hydro. The 520 is more rugged than a 160. 1” front axle spindles, Tapered roller bearings, gear reduction steering, reinforced frame, Eaton 1100 Etc. The Onan p220g is way more powerful than a K341 if you need the power. Ok that’s outta the way, so I might still think my C161 is my favorite but I love a well maintained 520. You mentioned slopes and a 60” deck. Neither are suited to the 160 with its splash lube and lower power. Weaknesses of a 160? Splash lube if used on slopes. Relatively light duty front end. Thats about it to my way of thinking.

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

I did not mean to denigrate the 520 Its more like these tractors [both ] have their strong and weak points. Maintenance is key, and all I was trying to say is that there are differing areas on each tractor that need a close eye. I would have to say that the super beefy front end is loader ready. with maybe a tire upgrade

tom2p
2 hours ago, sgtsampay said:

what is the different in power between the Kohler k341 and like the Onan p220g?

P220G is 782 cc and has around 32/33 fl lbs torque 

better comparison might be between the K341 and P216G

K341 is 588cc ... torque .. ?

P216G is 710cc and around 28 ft lbs torque

tom2p
2 hours ago, sgtsampay said:

also, how does the fuel consumption compared between the p220 and like the k301? Anyone know? 

K301 will be more fuel efficient 

K301 is 476cc and generates 12 hp - 

P220G is 782c and generates 20 hp - 

so no surprise 

but when when cutting grass and measuring fuel use - the gap can / will narrow 

can cut more grass faster with the 520 - even with same size deck and then even more when 520 is fitted with a larger deck 

WheelhorseBob

I’ve seen the max torque of a K341 listed at 28.25 @ 2600 rpm. 23 at 3600 rpm. 

Darb1964

A good running well maintained 520 is hard to beat. I haven't put the160 to work yet and look forward to seeing what it can do.

I bought a 520 H new in 1989 and have worked the heck out of it. The meter stopped working at 777 hours about fifteen years ago, must have over 2000 hours. It needs some attention now and I would like to completely restore it. I have many other tractors now so the520 has not been used much the last two years but I could put it back to work tomorrow.

Lee1977
9 hours ago, tom2p said:

P220G is 782 cc and has around 32/33 fl lbs torque 

better comparison might be between the K341 and P216G

K341 is 588cc ... torque .. ?

P216G is 710cc and around 28 ft lbs torque

Torque on a P220G is 31.4 ft. lbs.

rmaynard

Another difference between the Kohler 16HP and the Onan 16HP is that the Onan's all have an oil pump and filter, where the Kohlers don't. 

clueless
13 hours ago, sgtsampay said:

I didn’t realize the 520 had so many weakness.

what are the weakness of the c160? 

The biggest weakness of the C-160 is their lack of availability.:handgestures-thumbupright:. The 520 and the 160 are both great horses both work hard and don't like being put up wet. One is just more temperamental, higher maintenance and a much higher bill when sick.

Edited by clueless
  • Like 3

squonk

I had a 520. Yes it sounded nice and powerful. But I hated the flimsier metal, more difficult to get to the lift arm to install attachments, paint flaking off revealing rust, the electrical gremlins ect. But what really turned me off was the engine PTO bearing plate bolts backing out causing me to dump a quart of oil in my drive way before I realized what was going on.

tom2p
2 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Torque on a P220G is 31.4 ft. lbs.

I grabbed 32/33 from this doc

A355DCE9-B2F1-41A9-A006-78E047042E53.png

tom2p
1 hour ago, clueless said:

The biggest weakness of the C-160 is their lack of availability.:handgestures-thumbupright:. The 520 and the 160 are both great horses both work hard and don't like being put up wet. One is just more temperamental, higher maintenance and a much higher bill when sick.

another issue with the 520, 416-H, and other Onan twin powered Wheel Horse tractors is the accumulation of debris on the air intake 

this can become past annoying and require constant attention while cutting grass 

and when you are done cutting grass you feel it and show it 

WheelhorseBob
9 hours ago, clueless said:

I’ll say it again, Kohler parts if, and that’s a big if available, are much costlier than Onan parts. For example, a genuine Kohler piston for my K341 would be more expensive than a set of pistons with rings and rods for P220g Onan. This is one of those often repeated things that people believe. Now if you want aftermarket, yes the Kohler has a much larger parts source. The parts won’t be Kohler but China or if your lucky like me, Taiwan. I pulled my 216 down for decarb and valve maintenance last winter and parts from Boomer were reasonable. This 341 I’m completely rebuilding now has parts sourced from Clark Racing. I had to go aftermarket. A genuine Kohler piston/rings/and rod would have been 600.00 minimum and the sizes I needed are NLA. And that’s one hole!

image.jpg

Edited by WheelhorseBob