wfopete

Opinions the 416-8

wfopete

Looking at picking up a one owner 1994 416-8.  Has 1100 hours on it, original owner.  Kohler Power Plus. 48inch deck. Deck has only seen belts and blades and it also has the optional bagging/vac/fan assist unit.  Asking price is $900.  Owner says the clutch pedal needs adjustment.  Overall I like what I see but have not had a in person visit.

So 1100 hours is about 1/2 through the average service life for this unit or is it likely on the downside of it's run time?  I'm wondering about parts availability for it too. What should I check that might be needing repair/replacement?  Thanks.

• Like 1

WheelhorseBob

I have a 416-8 and love it. It is an Onan not a Kohler. The service life is completely dependent on on how well it is maintained. Onan's in welders and generators have excellent reputation's. 3000 hrs is not uncommon. On Garden tractors they are more likely abused than the previous applications and do not like dirty cooling fins. If the cooling fins get dirty from grass, dirt and oil they will run hot and possibly throw a valve seat. I personally like my Onans, I have a p216 and a P220. They sound great, are fairly easy to maintain and parts availability is very good. Keep in mind OEM parts are not cheap but much less than OEM Kohler parts in my opinion. The rest of the tractor is as boollit proof as any Wheel Horse. Good luck.  

• Like 3

Zeek

Make sure you know the condition of the deck spindles if they are original with 1100 hrs. I would do that by jacking it up so you can reach the blades and move them (not turn). I doubt you can get enough leverage from the top to check that effectively and just a demonstration of them running may not show that depending on speed/load.  That can be a pricy repair, I just did a 54" deck on another brand . . . 

Edited by Zeek

clueless

I've got a '97 416-8 (Onan) with 225 hr has the 42"sd deck or the 36" rd deck, the rear rock shaft lift the clevis hitch, new tires, new seat, new battery, and tune up. Second owner, always garaged and maintained, out the door price $1200.00, drive a little save a lot. I'm in Pensacola Fl. take a long weekend and enjoy one of the best beaches in the world ;).

• Like 3

Dan.gerous

I have a lovely one with the Onan engine, only issue is some electrical gremlin that is stopping it start at the moment. When it's up and running it's a thing of beauty and sounds awesome.

IMG_20200829_133903.jpg

tom2p
1 hour ago, clueless said:

I've got a '97 416-8 (Onan) with 225 hr has the 42"sd deck or the 36" rd deck, the rear rock shaft lift the clevis hitch, new tires, new seat, new battery, and tune up. Second owner, always garaged and maintained, out the door price $1200.00, drive a little save a lot. I'm in Pensacola Fl. take a long weekend and enjoy one of the best beaches in the world ;).

If I lived close I would be tempted to buy it - even though I have two 416-H

If you cut a lot of grass - the Onan twins (and Kohler twins) are a game changer 

• Like 1

tom2p
23 hours ago, wfopete said:

Looking at picking up a one owner 1994 416-8.  Has 1100 hours on it, original owner.  Kohler Power Plus. 48inch deck. Deck has only seen belts and blades and it also has the optional bagging/vac/fan assist unit.  Asking price is $900.  Owner says the clutch pedal needs adjustment.  Overall I like what I see but have not had a in person visit.

So 1100 hours is about 1/2 through the average service life for this unit or is it likely on the downside of it's run time?  I'm wondering about parts availability for it too. What should I check that might be needing repair/replacement?  Thanks.

if the tractor sat outside or in a damp area - probably better to pass on it 

Onan powered Wheel Horse tractors especially are prone to all sorts of gremlins when not stored inside 

at 1000 hours - if valve adjustment was not done it is past due ***  - prob good idea to do a compression check (to check for possible valve / valve seat issue) ... and should then also factor into the price 

*** also heads / piston tops should be decarboned

Edited by tom2p

wfopete

Well I took a look at it and mechanically it wasn't too bad but you could tell it wasn't taken care of. I mean it ran well and cut decent but there were several telltale signs of neglect. Tires were well worn and dry rotted, scratches, rust and dents on the sheet metal. A couple half-ass DIY repairs were evident also. The owner wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer either 🔪.  The search continues.

Edited by wfopete
  • Like 1

ohiofarmer

I have a 416-8 that is a garage queen with not many hours. However it makes a squealing sound that I cannot locate, so it got parked in a nice wood floor garage./shop.

Maybe a bearing, I do not know. The mower deck is still in paint on the bottom....

I need an Onan guru, I suppose.  I am just afraid to run it in case it might be a crankshaft problem

Edited by ohiofarmer

johnnymag3

Good move......I prefer Kohler over Onans, but it is always dependent on Owners care or lack thereof that gives them a long life !!

JMO

John

wfopete

I found another one at a better price ($500).  The Onan has been rebuilt but I don't know how long ago.  Looks complete and better than the one before but certainly not a Garage Queen.  It's a suburbia unit so probably not pushed too hard but it will be a couple of weeks before I can peek at it.  When I worked for Toro/Wheel Horse in the early 90's I remember the Onans losing their lower ends.  Can't remember the exact problem or cause; as the saying goes: "I've slept since then".  I could settle for a nice 300 eight speed "Classic" series but I'd like to get something a little bigger. Deep down I'm a Round Hood fan but I prefer a bit more power and size. I have a C-111 eight speed with a dead Briggs I could get motivated to repair but it only has a 36" RD deck besides I need something I can use now.   I fear my little Troy Bilt Pony has got about 5 years of steady use is probably getting close to imploding.

No description available.

203971847_10218411825559610_1513929347393256699_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=BmMorAKkinsAX8h3H49&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=c8f5213d1d71136b986bf4d53efc7d11&oe=61233A5B

204156269_10218411825359605_4569027204023502328_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=kYYutINpVugAX_UM-WY&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=772e2f187ba45675dc76e6fc3e85d8fd&oe=61237E88

207973109_10218411825879618_3619057064907681619_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=zFjERrvtvacAX-pMxZV&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=9fd0b42d6ec8428e4cc6beada3e3c5dc&oe=61233A25

Edited by wfopete

Bill D
1 hour ago, ohiofarmer said:

I have a 416-8 that is a garage queen with not many hours. However it makes a squealing sound that I cannot locate, so it got parked in a nice wood floor garage./shop.

Maybe a bearing, I do not know. The mower deck is still in paint on the bottom....

I need an Onan guru, I suppose.  I am just afraid to run it in case it might be a crankshaft problem

Check the drive belt idler pulley.  Also, check the bearings in the PTO.

ohiofarmer
5 hours ago, Bill D said:

Check the drive belt idler pulley.  Also, check the bearings in the PTO.

This is definitely within the engine block.  The 416 was way overfilled with oil when i got it and there was an oil puking event in the side ditch.  This was a new tractor, so I drained it and changed it just in case and there were no issues.   One of those things that you do not think about. In reality I never used it much and kept it nice with just a bit of honest wear. The sound almost reminds you of a pulley rubbing on something ...not squealin like a bearing.

Good suggestion though. I recon that I could just hook the engine up without the drive pulley or transmission belt installed. Thanks

Edited by ohiofarmer

Bill D
4 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

This is definitely within the engine block.  The 416 was way overfilled with oil when i got it and there was an oil puking event in the side ditch.  This was a new tractor, so I drained it and changed it just in case and there were no issues.   One of those things that you do not think about. In reality I never used it much and kept it nice with just a bit of honest wear. The sound almost reminds you of a pulley rubbing on something ...not squealin like a bearing.

Good suggestion though. I recon that I could just hook the engine up without the drive pulley or transmission belt installed. Thanks

If that checks out, then consider pulling the flywheel and checking the condition of the magnets and stator.