vogli

Removing rear lift

vogli

So I removed my transmission from my tractor...but, before I can split it, I have to take the rear lift thing off (clevis?). What exactly do I call it? Anyway, it spans both sides of the transmission, and with it in place, I can't open the transmission.

I don't see how it comes off. I don't *see* any roll pins. The lift isn't like any of those shown on the IPLs I've looked at. See picture.

The pin extends out from the left side of the clevis, and is flush on the right. The visible part of the pin apears to have a groove, as if maybe it was supposed to have a snap ring or something on it - it doesn't now. I can't drive the pin through the clevis. I've not tried really hard yet, but it does appear slightly mushroomed as if someone tried that in the past.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask for advice before I do something stupid. Is there some obvious trick to this that I'm overlooking?

IMG_20210722_075848533-small.jpg

RandyLittrell

It normally has 2 E clips and you push it out from one side or the other. Somebody has already beat the daylights out of it from what I can see. 

I would douse it in Kroil or PB blaster over the next few days. you can heat the case up too, just don't get carried away. 

If you have a sawzall, I would turn it over and cut that pin on the inside of the lift to free it, then work on the pin. 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 3

953 nut
4 minutes ago, vogli said:

I thought I'd ask for advice before I do something stupid.

:text-yeahthat:           Drilling a couple holes in the casting the pin passes through down to the pin will allow you to get some penitrating oil directly to the pin.

confucius-say.png.ea9878eb920447324c324bca9cdd3f9d.png

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Handy Don
1 hour ago, daveoman1966 said:

(1) Cut the pin on EACH SIDE of the slot hitch and remove the hitch. (2) The pin is soft...drill a 1/8 center hole as deep as possible on the THIN side of the trans case, then open that drill hole to 5/8 dia...(3) Using a HARD round punch, punch that pin out thru the THICK side of the trans case.  

I like this sequence.

It takes care of something important--if someone has hammered on the pin, it might be peened over and won't go through the casting. Cutting it off gets you down to "round only".

If you don't have an impact driver and will be using a punch and hammer, be sure to brace the thick side of the trans case near the pin to absorb the energy of the hits..

Rust. Nature's welding!

• Like 6

vogli

Well, looks like I'll be cutting it off.

A few doses of penetrating oil allowed me to move the slot hitch up and down easily, in the transmission case, but I can't shift it through the hitch clevis. So, I expect once I cut it, I'll drive it out of the transmission casing easily enough, but may have to drill out the hitch clevis. We'll see.

I'm heading out of town this weekend, so I'll have to give it a try next week. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 1

vogli

So cutting it off did work well. As suspected, the pin through the transmission case came out quite easily, but the bits of pin in the hitch clevis seem like they are going to have to be drilled out.

Anyway, it's now possible to open the transmission, which was my goal. Thanks all!

• Like 4