rmaynard

Hydro Additives

rmaynard

Has anyone tried this stuff in an older Sunstrand transmission?

c8e0d9d5-30a6-4456-80df-9b66b656af35.d021d0277f0cf1f70ea2d8d6accd9d15.jpeg.8291cd58450238f62af15b52646a9cb4.jpeg

Just curious if it helps give new life to old hydros?

Edited by rmaynard

953 nut

:confusion-confused:                I tend to doubt it will do any good in a Sundstrand, there are no clutches like you find in an automotive transmission.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

The ONLY way to get new life to the older hydros...rebuild them.  For the Piston-to-piston units, rebuild Hyd Pump and Hyd Motor.  For the even older Sundrans Hydrogear units, a refurb is mostly limited to the Hyd Pump. I have posted .pdf files...with pics...to aide in the overhaul of these.  

• Like 2

rmaynard
12 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

The ONLY way to get new life to the older hydros...rebuild them.  For the Piston-to-piston units, rebuild Hyd Pump and Hyd Motor.  For the even older Sundrans Hydrogear units, a refurb is mostly limited to the Hyd Pump. I have posted .pdf files...with pics...to aide in the overhaul of these.  

I have a 1965 875. Ran great when I got it 2 years ago. It was running Type-A fluid. I drained it, put on a new WH filter, and filled it with Wolf's Head fully synthetic multi-purpose fluid since Type-A was not available. Really slows down going up hills. So yesterday I did filter and fluid change again, but used Castrol High Mileage older transmission oil (Dexron). Maybe a little bit better. Wish I could find Type-A.

So if I decide to rebuild, what's the availability of parts?

The reason I changed the fluid in the first place was because the P.O. never knew where the drain plug was and only topped it off.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Sad 1

squonk

I highly doubt Type A if you could find it would help at all. Dexron has everything Type A had plus other additives for the changes that occurred with clutch and seal compositions.

pfrederi
13 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I have a 1965 875. Ran great when I got it 2 years ago. It was running Type-A fluid. I drained it, put on a new WH filter, and filled it with Wolf's Head fully synthetic multi-purpose fluid since Type-A was not available. Really slows down going up hills. So yesterday I did filter and fluid change again, but used Castrol High Mileage older transmission oil (Dexron). Maybe a little bit better. Wish I could find Type-A.

So if I decide to rebuild, what's the availability of parts?

The reason I changed the fluid in the first place was because the P.O. never knew where the drain plug was and only topped it off.

When you went from Oil to ATF did you completely drain and flush the system??  oil and ATF do not play well with each other.

If your valve plate is deeply gouged  i think LJ fluid power has them but $$.  If your slippers are beyond help you have to get a whole new piston block and slippers.  about 10 years ago I was quoted $5-600.

If it works reasonably well now then you should be able to get away with resurfacing the valve plate and slippers

• Like 1

rmaynard

@pfrederi the tranny has never had motor oil in it. Only Type-A fluid, Wolf's Head synthetic (red ATF fluid), and now the Castrol ATF (Dexron).

Edited by rmaynard

pfrederi
14 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

@pfrederi the tranny has never had motor oil in it. Only Type-A fluid, Wolf's Head synthetic (red ATF fluid), and now the Castrol ATF (Dexron).

Sorry misread you post thought Wolf's head was oil.  Anyway,  i run DexMerc In all 6 hydro gears no problems with any of them.  Slowing down going up hills going faster down signs of old age.  Good news is you probably only need a resurfacing.  Even before that you might try the Hydrogear Tune up  (about the only hydro gear repair WH mentioned.)

tuneup1.JPG

tuneup2.JPG

tuneup3.JPG

• Like 1

rmaynard

Thanks. I'll look into that.