Gregor

Kohler Twin

Gregor

Saturday morning I am going to pick up this motor. At least that's the plan. I don't have room for any more tractors, but I can still sneak in a few motors. I know nothing about it, other than it does turn over by hand. It has been sitting for a loooonnng time. Maybe it will run, maybe it won't. Maybe it will never run again, IDK, but for $50, I figured I could have $50 worth of fun, and learning experience on a twin. I don't know what that contraption is mounted to the PTO. Some sort of gear reduction? Anyone have a clue?

9892514_BSTWIN.jpg.13d6263869e374118474ca17818f07cb.jpg557732624_BSTWIN2.jpg.d59b7aebb4974827c8b18324280e4b3f.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut

The engine appears to have been mounted to a vertival crankshaft application like a riding mower. I know that some people have made sucessful conversions to horizomtal crankshaft applications but I am not aware of any posts done on the subject. If it will run wellin a vertical position you could gather the parts needed to convert to horazontal later.

• Like 3

Gregor
10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The engine appears to have been mounted to a vertival crankshaft application

After looking at the pics closer, I believe you are correct, That's a little disappointing, but not a deal breaker. Still looks like $50 worth of fun, that I will probably only have ~ $500 in when I'm done with it. :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

oliver2-44

I'm not the most knowledgeable on the Kohler series 1 vs series 2 twins,  and if this even applies to a vertical shaft Magnum 16........So someone correct me if I misspeak here.

If the engine has an oil filter that means it has an oil pump which is a good thing so it would be a series 2.(good engine)

if it doesn't have an oil pump that would mean it is a series 1 which had problems when run on a slope sideways

• Like 1

19richie66

I don’t think the magnum engines have an oiling issue like the KT series. These were made later. Also the coil alone would be worth $50 👍

• Like 2

953 nut

All Kohler Twins KT Series 1 & 2 as will as Magnum) have an oil pump. The series 1 did not have presurized crankshaft oiling and depended on oil dripping fromthe cam shaft.

Professional Kohler Engine Rebuilding, Buildups and Modifications

• Like 2

Gregor

I don't have the motor yet, but that makes me want to pull the pan,(if possible) to make sure the pump and lines are clear after setting so long. Unless there is another way to do it?

• Like 1

953 nut
4 minutes ago, Gregor said:

makes me want to pull the pan

There is no removable oilpan on the Kohler Twins, you would have to split the case to see the internals.

Full Restoration of "Toasty" JD 317 | My Tractor Forum

• Like 1

Gregor
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

There is no removable oilpan on the Kohler Twins, you would have to split the case to see the internals.

Ummmm I don't think so. Maybe there is another way to check it. Then again, maybe the whole motor needs rebuilt. Who knows? I'll find out Saturday.

• Like 2

19richie66

Make sure there is oil in it and try to start it. You could remove the oil sender if it has one or the plug and it should shoot oil out when turning over. For $50, I’d try to light it off. Make sure it rotates completely by hand with no hang ups. It’s a good deal either way. 👍

• Like 4

pfrederi

My overhaul of a Magnum twin has been stalled other projects have priority. You have to disassemble it to see inside and they don't use gaskets so you have to clean off the sealant they used and put on new .  Also the disassembly is very different than a single.  You better look at the  service manual before you dig in.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Gregor

If I am reading manuals correctly, this motor has balance gears. If I should have to open this motor up, can the balance gears be eliminated, as in a K series?

Please say yes.

Please say yes.

Please say yes.

Please say yes.

Please say yes.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Horizontal Magnum twins do not have balance gears.  What is spec number of this engine,  Then you can look it up and be sure.

• Like 1

Gregor
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Horizontal Magnum twins do not have balance gears.  What is spec number of this engine,  Then you can look it up and be sure.

I won't have it until tomorrow. It is vertical shaft.

• Like 1

pfrederi
7 minutes ago, Gregor said:

I won't have it until tomorrow. It is vertical shaft.

I doubt vertical vs horizontal would make a difference in having balance gears.  The Vertical service manual i have to supplement the horizontal one didn't reference any ..but it was a MV-18 not 16...

• Like 1

Gregor

This is the manual I was looking at. Maybe it's not the right one. I dunno.

1967307714_Screenshot2021-07-23at09-27-42TP-2203-A-KohlerM8M10M12M14M16SMTP-2203-A-2pdf.png.ce8028324eabf4f998504a9ea093a492.png

Guess I will have to wait until I get the numbers to really check things out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

pfrederi
7 minutes ago, Gregor said:

This is the manual I was looking at. Maybe it's not the right one. I dunno.

1967307714_Screenshot2021-07-23at09-27-42TP-2203-A-KohlerM8M10M12M14M16SMTP-2203-A-2pdf.png.ce8028324eabf4f998504a9ea093a492.png

Guess I will have to wait until I get the numbers to really check things out.

That is for the singles.  Completely different than the twins

• Like 2

Gregor
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

That is for the singles.  Completely different than the twins

Oh. Well, shows you how much I know. It said M16, I went with it. :eusa-doh:Guess I will have to search for another manual.

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 1

pfrederi
17 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Oh. Well, shows you how much I know. It said M16, I went with it. :eusa-doh:Guess I will have to search for another manual.

Search for MV16  We have some Magnum twin manuals here but they are for M18-20 and horizontal shaft.

EDIT:  try this

https://www.manualslib.com/download/566244/Kohler-Magnum-Mv16.html

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Service manualtp_2289_a.pdf?_ga=2.37857184.268389495.1

owners manual
52_590_03.pdf?_ga=2.98086044.268389495.1

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

Gregor
40 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Service manualtp_2289_a.pdf?_ga=2.37857184.268389495.1

owners manual
52_590_03.pdf?_ga=2.98086044.268389495.1

Thank You so much. I think I was even able to download them and save them :thanks:

And I saw no mention of balance gears ! :banana-wrench:

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Gregor

So, I went on my Kohler MV16 motor fetching road trip this morning. 3 1/2 hour round trip, but it's not like I have anything else pressing. Came home with this.

Model # MV16S

Spec. #   5650

Serial #   170210591 (6? I think) Maybe someone can verify that.

Model 20210724_161315.jpg.b710f324e5dcdde124d9e14deba72653.jpg

20210724_162915_001.jpg.e761d5414c61d05aeefd727308f46b61.jpg

Right now, the only thing I can tell you about this thing is that is is HUGE! Kind-a makes my Briggs Twin look a little puny. I'm not quite sure how I am going to get it off the truck. May have to enlist the help of my son "Bubba" and his friend "Tiny"  Gonna have to read up on this thing, and see what it weighs. Not sure what I got into, but it already looks like fun. The guy told me he had 4 more. Different makes and sizes. I told him to send me pics and prices for everything. at $50 a pop, I would buy them all. That should keep me busy for a while.

Like I said, 3 1/2 hours round trip, to the east and back. 15 miles from home I get a phone call, from some one who was suppose to call early this morning, when he got off work. He forgot. Get home, grab a bite, fuel up, head east :ranting: again. 4 hour round trip this time, but worth it I think. Read about it in "Other Brands" section. Once I get it posted, that is. Gimme a bit.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Kohler made this engine in 1987.

The spec number is missing one digit. Looks likely possibly a 6 or 8 at the end

• Like 1

Gregor

oops  6