Wheelhorse#1

Looking for advice on Another WH

Wheelhorse#1

Hello all.Need advice on possible purchase of a 79 C141.I have a older 71 but wanted something with hydro.

I don’t think I can go wrong with the 14 kohler. I’ll mainly use it to cut grass and the occasional snow blade to push the snow around.Are the trans decent with these seem to have a good reputation.

ZXT
18 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Hello all.Need advice on possible purchase of a 79 C141.I have a older 71 but wanted something with hydro.

I don’t think I can go wrong with the 14 kohler. I’ll mainly use it to cut grass and the occasional snow blade to push the snow around.Are the trans decent with these seem to have a good reputation.

Any C series hydro is worth having around. I grew up around a C-141 and can say that it is a good machine. 

Only real difference from another C series is that it's a shaker plate engine - meaning that it is rubber mounted. The mounts often need replaced if they're old but some people have modified them for solid mounts. Not a huge issue either way.

Any pictures of it? Any known issues? If it's worth the money, I say buy it!

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 1

ohiofarmer

Buy it.  Minor issue could be the short leg joint at the back of the transmission dampener. it is hooked to the short t handle you pull up to disconnect the belt tension. With the shaker plate, parts can wear out. Mine almost wore in two because a PO neglected it.Also check the frames at the back where the seat bolts on. If the gas tank is under the seat, the frame horns break around the holes. I use old sleeping bed frames to beef them up with a welder This problem continues into the later 4 and 500 series tractors

They are little beasties but the auto trans takes away a little power. That tractor will mow very thick grass with a 42" mower, but with the auto trans it's easy to pick the right speed. I lucked out on two non-runners that both run after policing up the wiring and gaskets . they came with a deck and blade and nice extra set of ags for a very low price.

• Like 3

Herder

I had a 78 C141 Hydro with the hydraulic lift.  With the exception of the shaker plate it was an amazing little tractor.  The piston to piston hydro was a supper strong unit.  Check the fluid in the hydro and look under the seat pan at the filter, it should give an idea of if it's been maintained.  The hydro will have engine oil or trans fluid in it.  Some hydro's run quiet and some are a not, but to loud could indicate problems.  Shaker plates can be fixed by using solid mounts.  Good luck   

• Like 2

clueless

Don't worry about the shaker engine mounts, there is a guy on ebay that sells the solid mount replacements, they work great.  

• Like 4

Wheelhorse#1

Thanks for all the info, greatly appreciate all the knowledge on this machine. I did not know about the shaker plate.

doesn’t sound like a deal killer as most of these machines always need some kind of work.

Haven’t looked at it in person yet but looks in fair shape in the pics.Hopefully it was well maintained.  It does come with a blade ,the deck doesn’t work not sure of the problem yet.

056A4752-DDBD-4B9E-A1BC-AECFCC075976.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oldlineman

I have a 1979 c-101 that I bought new and have had no problems with the shaker plate. Tractor has many many hours of mowing grass and pushing snow in western Pa. snow country. Buy it you won't be sorry. Bob

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D

Have a 78 c-141 auto   love it!!! I have noted a bit of flex in the belt system due to the shaker plate but a swap to hardmounts is in the plans, once i get the spindles upgraded for the end loader and get the new wide rears on.

• Like 1

ronhatch

6  years ago I bought a 1979 C 101 with the 'shaker plate'.  In the process of restoring the tractor, I removed the shaker plate from the engine and used it as a pattern to locate 4 new holes in the frame for bolting the engine to the frame without using the plate.  I used 4 spacers between the engine and frame to maintain the original engine height.  In hind sight, I would have used bar stock crosswise instead of spacers for a little added strength.  I did have to make a simple bracket for anchoring the lower clutch arm pivot and a bracket to stabilize the muffler. No big deal. Total cost; $10. for 4 spacers and a priceless 'clean' look.  

• Like 1

Wheelhorse#1
7 hours ago, ronhatch said:

6  years ago I bought a 1979 C 101 with the 'shaker plate'.  In the process of restoring the tractor, I removed the shaker plate from the engine and used it as a pattern to locate 4 new holes in the frame for bolting the engine to the frame without using the plate.  I used 4 spacers between the engine and frame to maintain the original engine height.  In hind sight, I would have used bar stock crosswise instead of spacers for a little added strength.  I did have to make a simple bracket for anchoring the lower clutch arm pivot and a bracket to stabilize the muffler. No big deal. Total cost; $10. for 4 spacers and a priceless 'clean' look.  

Great idea ! I’ll keep that in mind if I decide to pull the trigger.

That’s one of things I love about these older WHs they are a pleasure to work on and easy to modified if need arises.

c-series don

The 78-79 C-series are some of my favorite, here’s a few of mine. 

24D78875-F6D9-4EF5-AD39-47995CC330AC.jpeg

FE31A40E-E464-42E3-951A-33E08C2B7F6C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

oliver2-44

@c-series don you look a little lite on the C-Series models:ychain:

• Haha 5

Wheelhorse#1
On 7/22/2021 at 7:58 PM, c-series don said:

The 78-79 C-series are some of my favorite, here’s a few of mine. 

24D78875-F6D9-4EF5-AD39-47995CC330AC.jpeg

FE31A40E-E464-42E3-951A-33E08C2B7F6C.jpeg

Nice collection you have there !

• Thanks 1

tunahead72
On 7/20/2021 at 8:58 PM, Wheelhorse#1 said:

056A4752-DDBD-4B9E-A1BC-AECFCC075976.jpeg

I've seen that ad, looks like a very reasonable price for a complete running and driving tractor with some attachments.  Check it over carefully if you go to look at it, to make sure you're aware of anything that needs work.  As the ad says, "needs TLC".

As far as the C-141 model generally, it's very near the top of my very short list of next Wheel Horse tractors to own, I'd say go for it if it suits your needs.

• Like 1

WheelhorseBob

The only thing better than a C141 is a C161;-)! I like the shaker mounts and would replace the mounts if worn out. They make the tractor very smooth at operating RPM IMHO.

• Like 1